Friday, October 13, 2006

Be Afraid...


I'm not especially superstitious,so Friday the 13th doesn't hold any real dread for me.
My maternal Grandmother however,was an encyclopedia of things portentous.Things which usually culminated in some body's unfortunate demise.
A dog howling at the moon?..Some one's gonna die.
A rocking chair rocking when no one is in it?..Some one's gonna die.
Muddy footprints on her kitchen floor?..Some one's gonna wish they were dead...So Friday the 13th was a particularly stressful day for her,what with the precarious maneuvering around cats and ladders,mirrors,and cracks in the sidewalk.It was a phobia,and it has a name..paraskavedekatriaphobia...A fairly common,irrational fear of Friday the 13th.
Some less common phobias are:




  • Metrophobia- Fear of poetry.

  • Barophobia- Fear of gravity.

  • Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth,(I kid you not!).

  • peladophobia- Fear of bald people,..and my personal fave,..

  • Hippopotomonstrossesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words..A qualified psychiatrist can diagnose it,he just can't tell you that you have it.Gotta love the irony..
Thankfully,I've managed to make it through life without suffering from any crippling or incapacitating fears.Well,..save one.


  • Trickledickaphobia- The fear of discovering too late that I've walked out of a public restroom with an all too obvious pee stain on my crotch.
That's the only thing that really terrifies me...I mean,..that,and Mormons.
EDIT: I'm pretty sure I just killed my spellcheck.

11 Comments:

At 5:50 PM , Blogger Sling said...

grish..:)

 
At 5:59 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i have dicktaphobia...afraid of republicans..
i love friday the 13th..it's my day.

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellowdog G.-Hmmm..A phobia is usually an irrational fear,..I think yours is pretty well founded.
Happy Friday the 13th!

 
At 4:42 AM , Blogger Grish said...

Why which Pres do you mean there Charlie...:P

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger the rube said...

my favorite dog passed into valhalla on a friday the 13th so i don't mess around with that day.

 
At 9:05 AM , Blogger Sling said...

babs-really,gravity is our friend.If you fall out a window,it pulls you gently to Earth.It's electromagnetism holding all them sidewalk atoms together that's the real killer.

charlie-That is correct sir!..and where my phobia may have originated.

Ruby Rocks-sorry to hear that my friend.At least you know the little Viking made it home.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Dan said...

I was never scared by Friday the 13th. But I'm really scared of big words ... thanks for scaring the crap out of me! Help!

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Sling said...

dan-didn't mean to scare you dude...
That would be dishonorificabilistic of me. :O

 
At 9:52 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Freaky Filly-Makes you wonder what may have happened in their life to create that fear.
My ex-Father in law,a big strapping guy,was terrified of midgets...Oh,oh..I just made the thirteenth comment on this post!..

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

...and he was never heard from again. But every year, on Friday the 13th, his empty rocking chair can be seen moving by itself, as if he'd just gotten up to get himself a slice of applesauce cake...

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger Sling said...

lorraine-LOL!..Now that's funny right there. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home