Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Backpedalling...

It seems I have committed a most heinous social faux pas.
Oh,not as bad as Beyonce's unfortunate slight of Aretha,when she announced Tina Turner during the Grammy's as,'The Queen'..but still.

St. Valentine's day is on the morrow and even I,in my sublime singlehood,turn my thoughts to flights of romance...
What exactly is this romance thing,about which we make such a blushed and furious fuss?
Candy?,flowers?,great weights of precious gems to adorn our egos,and impress our neighbors with our newly glistening digits?..(baby toes notwithstanding)..

Well don't ya know,I think not.

I think that romance happens in the long run.In the myriad and marvelous sacrifices that pass unnoticed between lovers..You know,..people who love each other,in whatever fashion suits their spirit.

Bob and weave,tuck and roll,give and take.
And every so often,agree to disagree.
Sure and certain in the knowledge that you will love,and be loved in return.

Oh!..Back to my unfortunate slight.
The version of 'Come a little bit closer' I played yesterday,rightfully belongs to the amazing Mr. Marty Robbins..No doubt.
So,I went out and about in an effort to find his rendition of that song..No dice.

Then serendipity reared its romantic head.



El Paso..Marty Robbins.
That's some old school romance,right there!

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Blogger Cassandra said...

I like the day after clearance candy. Other than that, I don't get hyped up on something called VD.
One year I threw an "I ain't got no valentine party" We watched the movie Fatal Attraction and it was a great time. My ex-boyfriend later asked me why I didn't invite him to the party. WTF?

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

you'd think as much pie, cookies, and fudge as i have made her she wouldn't be looking for day old candy.ha..
ahh, yupper..i love ole marty robins...and that's one of my favorite songs..you can always sing along to marty ...

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Oh Sling will you be my VD sweetheart!?..Huh, that doesn't sound healthy. I agree with your whole sweetheart day analogy. I wish with all the love that is in the air...everyone feels sweets kisses. Homer is good at kisses...little wet...but I can't be picky.

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Mom said...

sling, you are a true romantic. sounds like you understand what love is all about.
Nice music. I like a song I can sing along to.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger danny/ink2metal said...

wow sling,

given your experiences with ex-wives i thought for sure you were wizened by love, but judging from this post, you were actually wisened.

have a nice v-day in whatever manner you choose to celebrate. or not. LOL

 
At 2:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im not so much on Valentine's, except for the chocolates.

 
At 3:37 AM , Blogger Willym said...

And that's what is all about isn't it?

You got the whole thing down right my friend.

Okay I am now heading out shopping humming El Paso ... which should confuse the hell out of my butcher.

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i always buy dear old mom flowers on VD and i always get pissed off the way those motherfeckers jack up the price.

it's been a real long time since i bought fresh flowers for the lovely mrs myshkin. i'll borrow some from the park in a few months.

 
At 7:57 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

That my dear is the difference between love and romance..

While I do get wistful once in a while for the romance factor on VD, the fact that he'll get up and chip an inch of ice off my vehicle in addition to his own before leaving for work true love.

 
At 8:57 AM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

hey sling...what day is it now?

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.


Good song.

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

You took the sentiments right out of my ... no that doesn't work, does it?

I'm a particularly big fan of just going out and doing the loving because there's almost no way around how good THAT feels and you don't have to wait for anyone to not live up to your inflated expectations.

 
At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it wrong to want both? sigh...
Hi! I'm a 12 year old girl with a kitten poster on my door.
a.k.a. grow the fuck up Hat.
Hah hah! (sigh again)

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Happy VD, dollface.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Sling said...

HOLY CRAP!!...I can't believe I fergot to respond to ANY of these comments!..well don't I feel like an asshole.
In my defense,I was distracted by a thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home