Sunday, February 03, 2008

I watch one football game all year long..

I'm not a big fan of watching sports on TV.
Wait!..I take that back.
I love watching the Olympics.
In particular,gymnastics,and women's figure skating.
And not just because,HELLO!..but I'm amazed at the things the human body is capable of doing.
Still,I've watched every Superbowl since there was no Roman Numeral at the end.
I think perhaps there are a lot of us out there,that would just as soon forego all the preliminary stuff,and tune in to what should be the two best teams,locked in mortal combat.
I don't follow any individual stats,or even have a favorite team.Usually I root for the team Lizzard King is pulling for,because,why not?

The only exception to this rule,is that I always want the Denver Broncos to get their asses handed to them on a steakhouse platter,no matter who they are playing against.
This goes back to my having performed slave labor at a popular restuarant,for a Raging Harpy of an owner that was a die-hard Broncos fan.
Every time they lost,she gained a new wrinkle on her,"Don't I look just marvelous for my age!" countenance...
..Bitch!

Once again,I digress.

The point is,(as if I actually had one),that I love a good game!
Yesterday,the prospects for a genuine battle seemed pretty slim.New England being heavily favored.
I would have enjoyed seeing New England retire the season undefeated...Really.
This is no small achievement,after all.

My best hope was that they would at least have to work for it.
Nobody likes watching a Superbowl game that is pretty much decided after the first quarter.
And so,I was also pleased when New York posted first on the scoreboard with a field goal,and not at all surprised when New England countered with a touchdown,and conversion.

Here's the good part!
It was friggin' tooth and claw after that! ..God help me,I love it so.
..and I found myself,somewhere along the third quarter,rooting for young Mr. Manning.I think in large part because they would flash to his brother Peyton,rooting for him in the luxury box.
I have brothers myself,who are total ne'er do well's by the way,so we have that tie that binds.

With 1:59 left in the game,and New England clearly headed for victory,I got to witness something truly amazing.
Spirit,and teamwork,and by god,"fuck-you-and-the-dog too!" effort snatched New York's victory from the jaws of defeat!

It reminded me of the way that prick John Elway performed for the Broncos..You know,..before he became a famous used car salesman...

14 Comments:

At 6:31 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

That was a fabulous game. I loved it. I hate the Broncos too. I had an asshole guy I worked with who was a bronco ass. He painted his entire bathroom Bronco colors. What a dam dork.

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Serena said...

I'm not much for football and didn't watch, but I gather it was a great game. It's a good thing I don't know any bookies, because I really thought the Patriots were going to win it.:)

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

it was the best super super bowl...and i started out thinking i don't care who wins..but them giants..and that eli..and that kid who caught the ball with his helmet..just fantastic...

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Here's what I've figured out: every time I watch the Superbowl it's a big fat yawn.

I didn't watch yesterday.

You're welcome.

 
At 12:02 AM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Yes yes yes! Doddamn but that was a fantastic game! Could not have been better. Well, unless the guys came out for a half nekkid calendar shoot at half time, but barring that, I mean. The spread between these two teams could not have been bigger, but the underdogs grabbed that bone from the big dogs and ran with it. And Tom Brady's not so cocky today. The plays were great, the heart was great, it was just a fabulous conclusion to the season.

 
At 12:02 AM , Blogger more cowbell said...

PS: The son won $5 on the Giants.

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

now there are two mannings for the sporting world to fawn over.

that's one too many in my book.

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

That was a weird game for us. We've developed a please-oh-PLEASE-just smack those fricking Pats DOWN. Which is, of course, totally different than wanting the Giants to win.

So while we're happy, we're also strangely not. And also, we went to one of our favorite bars but it was not so fun. The bar you choose to watch in and the food the bar chooses to ply you with - that's key.

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger Jan said...

I only watch NFL football when there is a game on.

OK, I'm a football fanatic. It's hard to explain why we willingly watch so much that is pretty boring for the few fantastic minutes that we get. But I go into a funk when the season is over.

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

That was fantastic game. I used to hate the Broncos but once Elway was out - little by little I started to tolerate them. What can I say?!! I've lived in Colorado for 17 years I think I'm slowly being brainwashed!

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Sage- It was so good,I may not ever have to watch another football game!
..a blue and orange bathroom comes in handy when you feel like you wanna puke.

serena joy- Like my sainted Grandmother used to say,"It's not whether you win or lose,it's the point spread".

yellerdawg- I actually stood up and cheered the helmet catch!..YES!

Rainey- Oh thank you!..Ummm..Could you not watch the primaries today?
I don't wanna jinx it.

Cowbelle-Both Brady and what's-his-name head coach were in total shock!..it was like,"We didn't win?...Really?"
..it's nice that you've raised your son to be a smart gambler! ;)

billy P.- Like I said,I don't really follow footbal.I do know there are some fellas at work that can't stand Peyton.
The only way I really know of him was when he hosted Saturday Night Live..
He cracked my shit up!

booda babe-I know what you mean about the whole not wanting a team to win,as much as you want the other team to lose..It's been a guiding principal in many of the presidential elections I've voted in.

jan- Oh!..I have a question.
When that "too many men on the field" penalty was called,it didn't seem to me that the guy was actually on field during the snap,as much as he was in the "airspace" over the field..Is that why they called it?
I just don't know.

lostinco- I just didn't care for the way Elway whined about Dan Reeves until they got rid of him.I thought that was punk.
..and it's not so much that I hate the Broncos,because I really don't.
I just know how much grief it causes my ex-boss when they lose.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Belichick was a sore loser, and was completely rude to a reporter after. Jerk.

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Don't know much about U.S. Footie and the names but sounded pretty good the way you told it. WE (down under) always get slightly amused at all the big protective shoulder pads and helmuts you guys wear... I know that the are not sissies ...ahem... but...

then again an awful lot of broken necks happen over here maybe the protection migght stop some of that...

they look a bit like those transformer robots...now I am going to get yelled at by someone... somewhere

 
At 9:04 AM , Blogger Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Ha! I felt the SAME way! I thought it'd be cool for the Pats to finish undefeated, but then I kind of found myself on the side of the Giants. I'm really not even sure how that happened, but there I was - jumping up and down, hollering for Manning and generally acting like an ass. The kicker is, I don't particularly care for football at all. Except to see that the Cowboys have gotten beat (maybe THAT'S why I ended up cheering for the Giants on Superbowl Sunday). Can't stand those Cowboys. (I'm sort of an Eagles fan, but only because their colors are so pretty. I know. Totally lame reason. I'm almost embarrassed by it, too.) Anyway - it was a great game. Even a football idiot/novice like myself could see that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home