Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday memory dump..

I've refrained from blogging too much about the weather here in O-Town this winter tide,because most everyone in Bloggertown has been buttcheeks deep in snow,the whole rest of the planet has lurched three inches off it's axis thanks to continental drift in both hemispheres,and all we've had to contend with 'round these parts is 100 years several consecutive weeks of rain.
..Kinda makes it difficult to go for the sympathy vote,you know.

Lately however,and with enough predictability to give rise to hope at the prospect of Spring,there has been an increasing number of balmy days in which to accumulate the following portfolio of


You ever try to get a close-up of a bee going about the business of taking her seasonal pollen inventory?
They are notoriously uncooperative..


..Not so,this handsome amphibian.
Stirred from hibernation the very day this was taken,he graciously allowed me to pose him at my leisure without any outward sign of trepidation.
Obviously,unaware of the fact that he tastes just like chicken.


Raindrops on water..


..and whiskers on kittens.


..You're really not supposed to look directly at the sun,but the juxtaposition of sun and contrail possessed a geometric quality I found appealing.
I centered it in my viewfinder until it went black,snapped the shutter,and dodged great flying spots before my eyes for about an hour afterwards.


A study in the aerial skills of flying rats..



I really don't like 'breasts'..
I mean,..quite naturally I have an abiding admiration for actual breasts in theory and practice,and line up second to none when it comes to the aesthetic appeal of their form and function.
I'ts the damnable articulation of the word that really chaps my hide!
Those final three hard consonants in a row invariably transform the pronunciation into 'breast-ises'..(Probably the very reason we invented the word 'tits' to begin with).
I still have nightmares of those few times I was obliged,by circumstances,to utter the phrase,'Okay kids,..it's time to sit at our desks,and put masks on our breasts!'..

..Wasp-ises


Have a great weekend kids!..


EDIT: Damm..I'm using a new blog editor that ginormisized my pix!..I'll format them better next time.

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 12:05 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

Love these photos.

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I've avoided discussing our weather at the risk of getting hate mail.

cute cat. Resembles Hitler on one side.

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Laurent said...

sure you can complain about the weather, I do and I live in Rome. Am sure am not getting any sympathy.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Oh, I love the huuuge pictures! they are all wonderful. I havent brought up the weather down here too much ...hehehe

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I was afraid the bee might sting me

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Oh, I thought the size was an effect thing you were going for. Love the toad even though I'm a little bit afraid of them.

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Bad Alice- Thank you doll! :)

Jan- It's hard to convince people that have been snowed in for three months without electricity,that you are sufering because it sprinkled in the afternoon..
The cat does look like Hitler,but that's as far as it goes.
He's the most docile creature you'll ever meet.

Laurent- That's right!..You live in Rome!..I can complain to you!
..Listen dude,it's been miserable here in O-Town,what with the drizzle,and the overcast skies..You have NO idea!

Sage-Umm,.. I meant to say that I made the pictures that big on purpose..You didn't let me finish.

Mom- Are you allergic to bee stings?..They hardly bother me.
Mosquito bites will irritate me for days though.

Thinker- I picked the 'extra-large' option in my editor,figuring it would automatically fit the pix in the borders of my post..I'm thinkin' that between you and Sage,I'll just go ahead and use that in the future.
Nothing to fear from toads or frogs,except for the ones that will kill you instantly.

 
At 4:50 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

billy the exterminator could straighten out those wasps toot sweet.

 
At 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of glad you risked permanent blindness to score us that picture of the sun, because that one is phenomenal.

I'm gonna pass on the frog though.

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

You take amazing photos - how about the raindrops one...and I know how scary filming wasps can be...

we are as you'd know sliding into my favourite time of the year which is Autumn...I just love autumn...our winters are so mild that we don't suffer from snow and blizzards...at least not here...
I had better get out there with my camera too...you've inspired me

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

That is one irritated looking frog.....and he needs a bath. Love the cat photo...sweet and kissable little whiskers. Sling you have such an eye. That raindrop photo is lovely.

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i really love them..especially the raindrops..

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- It was about 40 degrees out when I took that picture.
Those wasps were barely able to move...I coulda picked them up by their stingers!

JP- I was amazed it even turned out.
My view screen couldn't register it.

Middle Child- My camera has a setting that will take about 5 frames a second.The raindrops pic was the best of about 50!
I'll bet Autumn down under will offer up some gorgeous photos. :)

Rosie- Froggie definitely needed a bath.He had just crawled out of his burrow in that mound of dirt he's sitting on.

Yellerdawg- The Patner has an above ground swimming pool,so I was able to just lean over the edge,and click away..Glad you enjoyed it!

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

All the good adjectives and sound effects have already been taken, but these are SO fantastic, I just don't care. Everything everyone else said, I'm saying, too. PLUS - I love SO much the water droplets. What's that little line in the middle? If THAT wasn't there ... wow and kazow and ee.

Are you submitting any of these to that National Geographic site?

PS. It's only right to be polite and with our weather sit so tight but really. Come on. The jasmine's out and getting everyone drunk. How can we not at least mention it? (Of course, I saved MY mention for your blog.)

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Giant photos! I love the one of the muddy frog.

I am posting spring now, too - I'm too happy about it not to.

 
At 2:20 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Booda Babe- Dammit!..That little line down the center drove me crazy!
It wasn't on the frame before,or after that pic,so I really don't know what caused it.
I think maybe it's a still shot of a cosmic ray or something. ;)
I'm sorta leaning toward submitting the contrail pic.
I submit stuff to Nat-Geo on the 15th of each month,but the competition is INSANE!
Check out today's daily dozen here;
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/your-shot

Secret Agent Woman- Froggy was a most amenable model..He patiently allowed me to move him around till I got the pose I wanted.
It's raining again,even as I type,but he signs are everywhere!
All the trees we planted at our facilities during the Fall are sporting new buds within the last week,so we're happy as hell.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Our snow has finally melted and I no longer have that trapped-in-a-tiny-enclosed-space-and-I-can't-breathe feeling! Hallelujah! They say we're due for massive flooding, but one problem at a time, right? And they're great pics, especially the frog!

 
At 12:37 AM , Blogger Willym said...

Damn those photos are great! And I was with Random Thinker - I thought the size thing was an effect you were going for - it works in this case.

As for the weather - don't let Laurent fool you - its been 0c, 12c, rainy, sunny, cold, warm, windy, clam, crappy and beautiful. And that was just Thursday afternoon.

 
At 4:47 AM , Blogger Shrinky said...

Wow, you are quite the photographer, me lad, these shots are wonderful! It's raining as I type, I am so sick to death of dragging the hound out on soggy beach walks - roll on Summer.

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

These are kick-ass pictures! :) Those wasps look way-freaky.

Iwanski & I took an "almost spring nature walk" this weekend and saw a cardinal in a little barren tree, about 4 feet away from us. It was too cool! :) I will have to post the pic Iwanski took of it (him) on my blog. :)

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Somebody's hit you Sling badly...my email was flooded by all of these, but sorted it out with my internet provider - I hope that these can be sorted by you - why would anyone bother and for what reason...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home