Friday, January 05, 2007

Yakety-Yak.....


We finally got the last of our rush commitments out this morning....On time..

While most of the fellas were out installing,I went over to our other shop to make face frames, in preparation for next week.
"Easy money today",I figured.Just me and the guy that makes the cabinet doors.
Of course I know him,but we really never work side-by-side.It turns out,much to my angst,he's a non-stop talker..

I don't know how people do that.You know,..Just keep having words come out of their mouths,seemingly without even taking a breath...and the thing they just told you leads to the next thing they wanna tell you,and Oh!...that reminds them of the time....CRAP!..It's been pretty well established on this blog that,occasionally,I get cranky.I've lived long enough to reserve the right to put social irritants in check whenever the desperate need arises.So,..at break time,I graciously schooled him on a few of my..

***Rules for working with Sling***

Rule #1: Don't talk to me when I'm using power tools.
I can't believe I even had to go there.I think I learned this when I was about..I don't know..eight friggin' years old!..My limbs and digits are too precious to me to lose them because you distracted me with the revelation that,"My wife's sister has the hots for me!"..

Rule #2: Don't talk to me when I'm taking measurements.
I've got half a dozen 2 and 3 digit numbers and their associated fractions in my head,which promptly vanish when you query,"Which do think was better,Lord of the Rings,or The Silmarillion?"..

Rule #3: Shut the fuck up..
This also applies to ex-wives

He took note of these easy to follow guidelines,accepted them in the spirit in which they were given,and the rest of the day passed in blissful quietude.

It's Friday!!...and life continues to be good in Sling's Domain..

13 Comments:

At 11:58 PM , Blogger barista brat said...

he must be the father of my co-worker.

btw - which DO you prefer? i got you pegged as a tolkein guy, haha.

 
At 12:07 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I find that a sweat sock filled with horse manure works well in these situations. Just in case he forgets the rules.

 
At 5:33 AM , Blogger Grish said...

Lol I think I know him...

 
At 5:57 AM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

*crack*...I lurve you.

Well sounds like the bloke didn't get all snippy and hurt about your rules of engagement. Probably because it's not anything he hasn't been told before. Many, many times.

I dislike yabbery people. Highly annoying.

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger the rube said...

if everyone heeds rule 3, you can ditch rules 1 & 2.

so you got that going for you too, which is nice.

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger Sling said...

B.Brat-I confess,I haven't read Silmarillion.I do admire Tolkien,but prefer a good John Grisham,or Robert Clancy.

lorraine-Pretty sure he'll not forget ;)
But,a sweat sock filled with horse manure sounds like fun in any case :)

grish-I'm sure you do!..his type gets around.

apos-lurve you too kid :)

ruby rocks-The only downside is if they want to tell you,"Hey Sling,..yer hair is on fire!"..and they decide against it ;)

 
At 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes'm. But you do need an 'emergency only' qualifier. Because people tend to be stupid.

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Sling said...

evangeline-'Twas ever thus,..Hence,the sockload o' horse shit. :)

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Cassandra said...

blissful quietude... few things are better than that. Can I link my blog here?

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger Sling said...

babs-Oh yeah...Nothin' like a quietudinous atmosphere to reflecticate in!
..and feel free to have the run of the joint :)

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Oh great!..I was trying to unplug the garbage disposal when your comment distracted me! :P

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

My mother in law, (who I found terrifying ) once made the only valid observatiion of my character in all the 25 years I knew her... and it was this, "Therese appears to be listening and agreeing with everything I say...but then she just does and says what she wants" (I know it annoyed her no end.

I could do this for hours with some of those verbal diahorrea types..."Yes"..."No", "oh dearie dearie me" whatever was needed... appearing so bloody sweet I made myself sick... but at what cost...the stress was unbelievable...

but when you finally crack... somehow its all laid back at your door anyway...

have you thought of the old teenage fake finger with blood trick... and don't let him in on the fact it is fake...just run out screaming....aaarrrggghhh!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Violet said...

So, have you seen the movie Clerks 2? There is a big debate in there about the value of Star Wars vs. The Lord of the Rings. Pretty funny stuff...

I don't use power tools, but I have the same rules when I'm trying to apply eye liner. Don't distract me when I have sharp objects pointed at my eyes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home