Wednesday, July 04, 2007

This Noble Experiment...


I think in light of the state of the union,as it stands,it may be easy to become disheartened about the prospects for America.

We seem to be hopelessly embroiled in a war that has no clear objective,nor cohesive plan for success.

The ability of the average citizen to move freely about,and express opinions in opposition to those in power diminishes on (nearly) a daily basis, while the cronies of our duly elected gangsters cruise in and out of the justice system with ease.

The media spends millions of dollars in an effort to focus our attention on the lifestyles of the spoiled and priveledged,while the countless survivors of Hurricane Katrina are left to wonder why..


Still,..There is this thing we have as a nation that perseveres.
It's in our hearts,and our minds,and probably our American genetic make-up.
It's Patrick Henry's defiant ultimatum,"Give me liberty,or give me death!"
It's Francis Scott Key,moved to poetry at the sight of the American flag waving proudly over Fort Sumter.

..(Grab yer babies,I'm on a roll)..
  • Abraham Lincoln's confimation that our nation was."Conceived in liberty,and dedicated to the proposition that ALL men are created equal".

  • Franklin Roosevelt's "New Deal"
  • D-Day...'nuff said

  • ..and didn't each of us,..born or not,..take that first step along with Neill Armstrong on the surface of the Moon!..

Yeah,I've been drinking a dram or few,but that's how I feel.

That indefinable thing that fills our chests with pride,and prompts us to stand up,out loud,and in public,to proclaim our individual independence survives even now...I'm thoroughly convinced of that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!!....end of pontification.






Labels:

18 Comments:

At 8:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

You're right, Sling. We just have to take it back and live the promise. I for one would like to feel a little pride in my nation again and stop feeling like I have to apologize for it.

Happy 4th, dude.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Sling said...

lorraine-Oh,we're gonna take it back.
We own it after all.
I've had little time to comment,but I've been enjoying your trip to Chi-Town!
Happy 4th Doll! :)

 
At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of Churchill's quote: "Democrasy is the worst form of government...except for all the rest."

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Sling said...

jan-..and I always think,"Democracy is like sex,..When it's good,it's very good,and when it's bad,..it's still pretty good!" ;)

 
At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Pooh! I was hoping you would keep your Canadian tribute up all the live long day. But nooOOoo, you had to get all profoundly patriotic and make sense of things and leave me feeling entirely hopeful that living here in the U.S. of A. ain't so bad after all. Hmpf!

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Auld hat-My bad hon..Blame it on whiskey,and an entire day watching "The Revolution" on the History Channel. :P

 
At 8:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol - I watched that too. And lots of the Food Network. USA! USA! USA!

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

"I always think,'Democracy is like sex,..When it's good,it's very good,and when it's bad,..it's still pretty good!'"

So... democracy is also kinda like pizza then, huh?

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Jobove - Reus said...

pasamos un rato ameno en tu blog, felicidades

saludos desde Reus- Catalunya

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

I was feeling conflicted yesterday. Thanks for the thoughts.

And that Maria -- damn, girl gets around, now don't she?

 
At 3:02 PM , Blogger the rube said...

the noble experiment - excellent title.

i think most noble experiments fall victim to the greedy citizens urge to control the money and all the other good stuff.

the greedy guys are doing pretty good right now.

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Hat-It's amazing that we're not all speaking English....you know what I mean.

monica-Pizza is exactly like sex!
It's hot and spicy and sometimes covered with 3 different kinds of cheese!

maria-¡Gracias tanto por parar cerca! Sé que no eres de España, pero éste es el mejor que puedo hacer.


Cowbell-Yer welcome kid.
and I think maria is a dude..

Rube-I stole the title you know.
and screw the greedy,I'll take character anytime.

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

maria gets around as much as dan's cat lulu

 
At 10:01 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

Damm good post. You are quite the man, Sling. There were both Reds and Blues in our little parade and to be honest I didn't want to cheer for either one of the groups. I may have to start my own party of the Realists.

Ha. I know A foreign language...Ohyea como va....did I spell that correctly?

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger Allan said...

I have a reversible armband. One side is black,it is for mourning. The other is red-white and blue and it is for celebration.
I haven't seen that side for six 1/2 years.
Thanks for reminding me that it still exists.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

hoo-rah...




GODDESS BLESS AMERICA

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Dx said...

My dad used to say that the difference between democracy and communism was that, with communism, you said what you were told and did what you were told BUT, with democracy, you could say whatever you wanted... but still had to do what you were told. Surely there's another way?

 
At 2:29 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Don was born on 4th of July...much good it did for him...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home