Sunday, February 22, 2009

Form & Function..

'The world is so full of a number of things,that I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings'..
..Robert Louis Stevenson

For as long as I can remember,I've been fond of taking the occasional walkabout.
Aside from the satisfying mobility of wandering to and fro' with both feet on the ground,there's the added benefit of being able to stop and enjoy those serendipitous sightings that would otherwise escape one's notice while traveling at the speed of modern conveyance.
Having an actual destination in mind falls precisely at the bottom of my list of requirements for these little excursions,but my bi-weekly trek to the O-Town Post Office is no less enjoyable for it's having purpose.
I was pleasantly surprised this time around,to discover that the barren and ill-tended vacant lot I routinely pass had been transformed into this!..



The creator of this delightful little labyrinth happened to be puttering about the premises,and we chatted for a spell.
I told him how much I admired his workmanship,and he allowed that the purpose behind his humble endeavor was to give all and sundry that might desire a moment of reflective meditation,a place to walk in solitary communion..

..'The gate is always open!'..

I was reminded this day of something my Pops always used to say whenever he was engaged in some manner of handiwork,..be it professional,or domestic,..that defined his vision for all tasks great and small.

..'It should be useful,as well as decorative'..

I think this advice not only holds true for the works we do by way of crafting our livelihoods,..but also serves as a gentle reminder to strive for a measure of thoughtful flourish in those things we choose to build in our hearts.

Labels:

20 Comments:

At 1:51 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

..'It should be useful,as well as decorative'..I agree 1,000%..IT MAKES SENSE THATS ALL

 
At 2:34 AM , Blogger Willym said...

What a small but mighty piece of work that man has created.

And your Pops was right - its very Shaker philosophy and a good one.

 
At 5:50 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

Pops was totally right. Form and function can happily coexist in harmony to both please the soul and be useful to the physical need.

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

that would make a great path to the voting booth. if you're not smart enough to get through the labyrinth, you're not smart enough to vote.

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I wish I had known that expression before I married those 3 guys.

 
At 3:09 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

What a great little joy! I love it when someone does something so unexpected for the pleasure of others!

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger Jan said...

The creator of this must be a very happy person to do so much work for others to enjoy. Let's hope the vandals don't get at it.

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift to the neighborhood! I love labyrinths.

 
At 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sling, isn't it wonderful to bump into a fine piece of human endeavor that bring joy and delight. The sublime.
My sweet mother once told that a truly excellent writer does not have to use cuss words or explicit sex scenes--she was right of course.

The finer arts that bring joy come from God's grace--He surely blesses each one of us with talent and gifts.

thanks for sharing friend...you have many blessings and gifts as well....

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

what a perfect way to get through life, laying out labyrinths. I hear they've been measured/tested and there's no arguing a connection tween the walker and the earth. Isn't THAT a nice extra?

I'd join with everyone, oohing and ahhing over your father's wisdom - I really would - except for that part where I realize that what I do is NOT useful. I HATE when that happens. :(

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

I love the labyrinth..I would probably get lost tho.

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Sling said...

The whole thing just made me feel good!
Here's a guy that just wanted to contribute a little whimsy to the neighborhood,without any expectation of material gain.
I suppose I also relate to the simple pleasure he must have gotten from the planning,and execution of his project.
..I love that stuff!

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger John said...

Would that we were all a little more willing to sacrifice some time and energy to make this world a little more pleasant for those around us. What a wonderful fellow. This also reminds me why I admire those who can create things like this with their hands. Amazing!

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That's awesome! :) I needed some inspiration today--badly. Thanks for sharing this. :)

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

...sigh....

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Sling said...

John- Hiya John!..I've seen you out and about over at Mom's.
There really is something akin to spiritual about creating something with your own two hands.
..Fruits of your labors,and all that.

Miss HP- You are quite welcome young lady! :)

Rainey- ..I did that on purpose. ;)

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Ahh sling, you are a wonderful man.

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Imagine all the things that will be worked out by the people who will walk that path. Troubles diminished, plans decided on, people forgiven. What a great gift.

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rosie- Thank you sweetie! :)

Thinker- Exactly!..You just know that's how it will go.
Plus!..Years from now,someone is gonna point it out to their grandchild and say,'That's been there ever since I was your age!'..

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Wow! What a great thing to do. I like the low walls. That's a labyrinth even I could map out.

(And a belly laugh to YDG. Ain't that the truth, honey.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home