Monday, September 14, 2009

Manly Things..

If the highlight of my Summer was the visit with my grand kids,then this impromptu trip to Fort Bragg comes in a close second.
The Partner,his friend RB,and I headed out on the four hour trek right after work,passing Clear Lake long about midway.

..Smoke on the water.


My proximity to this brown Gull didn't seem to phase it one bit..


These two ladies,on the other hand,were decidedly perturbed at my intrusion..



The Partner's trailer is snuggled comfortably in the woods,about a half mile from the ocean.We settled in that first night with a hearty stock of Budweiser,and played a very fun board game. (The name of which escapes me..did I mention the hearty stock of bud?).
The point of the game is to correctly answer multiple choice solutions to different survival scenarios.

Did you know that Willow bark can cure a headache?..Or that you can drink your own urine if you have no water? (Apparently,it's perfectly sterile when it first comes out,but tends to collect bacteria pretty quickly thereafter).

RB kicked our asses two games in a row to become the 'Sole Survivor',and was quite pleased with himself.
I decided right then and there that if we were ever stranded on a desert island without any food,..I would eat him.


The next morning,we went down to the shore so Partner and RB could do some diving for abalone,and other sea going edibles.
I didn't have my own gear,but I was more than happy to enjoy the beautiful coastline of Northern California,and document the whole operation.


..it's harder than it looks.


They'll stay within about a hundred yards from shore,where the water is at about ten feet deep.
In spite of some early morning fog,the weather and the water were comfortably warm.


The Partner displays his bounty!..


The limits on Abalone are fiercely monitored..Three a day,per person.
You don't wanna mess with those kids over at Fish and Game..Poaching is very nearly a capital offense in these parts!..
The fellas managed to each get their limits in about an hour.
Six Abalone,two ocean perch,and a type of sea trout called a 'Greenling'.


This ain't no downstream Oyster!..that Abalone is nearly ten inches..(seven inches is the minimum you can keep).

The flesh of this Greenling is blue,but turns white when it hits the frying pan.


My reward for hanging out onshore!..The Partner had these beauties filleted in no time,and packaged for me to enjoy at home.


We did take some time to go down to the marina,so the guys could purchase some fresh Albacore (Tuna)..You can see folks on the dock lining up to buy those tasty critters at $2.00 a pound..


This handsome beast was waiting patiently for whatever scraps the crew might toss overboard.


I may not have been able to go snorkeling,but I damn sure was gonna try my hand at ocean kayaking!...YES!!


Me and my Kayak..You can see by the grin on my face that I'm about to have a Yak-Attack..


Warning!..This ain't for the faint of heart!
Manly men,doing manly things,on the high seas!
..and floating and stuff.
Mendocino is an absolute bonanza of sea caves!
Sorry about the unsteady camera work,but I was filming with both hands,and trying not to get deep-sixed. (That's manly sailor talk for falling off the boat).
The voice you hear at the beginning is RB's.



We finished off the day by taking in a movie!
Normally,I don't go to the theater.If there's a movie I want to see,I just wait for it to come out on DVD.I had to think back to remember the last movie I saw in a theater?...'Jurassic Park'!
Naturally,we decided on a guy flick..'Inglorious Basterds'.
Check it out..I'm sitting there watching the movie,..minding my own business,..when all of a sudden Brad Pitt starts yelling at me!
I kid you not..One of those Inglorious Basterds has the same surname as mine!
..Some nefarious ancestor,no doubt.

All in all,it was a most satisfying adventure!
Thanks for taking me along for the ride Partner!..


Labels:

21 Comments:

At 5:38 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, what a wonderful account of a fantastic trip! And great pics and video, too! :)

You would never catch me out there ocean kayaking--it just seems a wee bit dangerous to me. :) (I guess I'm not one to live life on the edge. :) ) But the views do seem to be incredible.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

when i saw you guys in the little rubber rafts my first thought was..:didn't deliverance start out like this?..ha

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Miss HP- I actually dumped it one time.
Fortunately,my camera was in a 'dry box' tied to the kayak at the time.
It was refreshing!

Yellerdawg- I'll have you know they aren't rubber,they're macho hard plastic.
..and my kayak isn't pink,..it's fuschia!
This conversation isn't going well for me,is it?

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger Willym said...

well at least we know you can tread water verbally if not in reality.... and its funny how these impromptu things can turn out to be the most fun.

 
At 11:10 PM , Blogger Willym said...

And speaking of treading water... for some reason that conversation with YDG brought to mind this clip from Monty Python:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

I love the Kayak..wow it looks so beautiful up there. The dog is so cute too. Water looks cold and clear...very nice.

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Mom said...

Whar a wonderful adventure!
The fuchsia kayak is great. It makes you look like a manly man.

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

"if we were ever stranded on a desert island without any food,..I would eat him." Love it. Sounds like a great trip doing stuff I wouldn't do in a million years. Well, sitting on the shore I can do. I have a natural talent for that.

BTW, fuchsia is no more manly than pink. Your boat shouldn't have the same colors that are offered in the J. Crew catalog.

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Willym- I love me some Monty Python!
I remember the Lumberjack routine..It still cracks me up.

Sage- It's gorgeous.
I LOVE the ocean,and just don't get there as often as I like.
The dog belongs to RB.He's a Jack Russell/Fox Terrier mix,and full of personality..The Partner was in full on power nap mode,and didn't know he had a hitch-hiker till I showed him the pic. :)

Mom- The fellas rounded up the kayak just for me..I'm officially hooked!

Bad Alice- Did I say fuchsia?..I meant lavender.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Mmm - I got kind of distracted by all that seafood.

Glad you had such a great trip!

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Secret Agent Woman- The Partner brought me some of the Albacore.
He cut it into 3" pieces,wrapped it in bacon,marinated it in teriyaki sauce and barbequed it.
I know you don't do bacon but Oh.My.Gawd..It was delicious!

 
At 8:58 AM , Anonymous the gardeners cottage said...

Howdy Sling,

I haven't been by in a while. Loved your adventure pictures. I've always wanted to go ocean kayaking. And I love that you knew your kayak was fuschia, not pink. I'm a vegan so the fish didn't appeal to me but that's okay. Looks like you had a fantastic time.

Janet

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

I have heard about the drinking of one’s own urine. Yes, usually in the context of kinkiness. But also to quench one’s thirst when lost without water. I plan never to be lost or THAT kinky.

Well real men do associate with hot bubblegum pink erm I mean fuchsia.

I await with great anticipation for Inglorious Basterds to come to DirecTv.

Loved the last photo. Dogs have a way of getting the best seat in the house don’t they.

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

It's a good thing kayaking is such a manly endeavor. Otherwise you might get ribbed about that pink kayak.

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

you look good in pastel....pink, fuscia, lavender....maybe a little red bandanna for contrast on the dog would help. you look quite svelte in that wet suit.

Saw the movie....won't leave my thoughts and spoil it for someone.

 
At 7:01 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Gardener's Cottage- Hi Janet,..nice to see you again.
According to the tide tables,I went on the best day that weekend.
Swells were only about 3 feet.
The day after,they topped out at 13 feet!..No way can you film video and ride out a 10 foot wave at the same time.

Apos- You kinda hafta get into a quinten Tarantino mindset when you watch Inglourious Basterds.
Here's a guy that,if he weren't a world class film maker,would surely be locked down in an asylum in New Jersey someplace.
I'm sure you can relate.

Thinker- It's NOT pink!!..Good job on the ribbing though. ;)

Rosie- You'll notice that 'Brutus' is sporting a fine studded collar,befitting his studly status.

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

How wonderful and your photos are just excellent. They are so clear - I especially liked the one of the sea calf (is that what its called?) just resting and looking for all the world like smiling...

Road trips are the best - and the camper van looks pretty large, so you would have been pretty well set up. U can think of nothing better than packing up and going, not really knowing where. Thanks for sharing

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

the albacore sounds excellent.

abalone was one of the courses at the chinese wedding a few months ago. i wished that i was still drinking when it came time to eat that stuff.

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Middle Child- He's a California Sea Lion,(Zalophus Californianus)...
Technically,not a seal.
Highly intelligent and easily trained,they are a favorite in circuses and aquatic shows.

Billy P.- I've never tasted Abalone,but I expect I would enjoy it..I love seafood!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

Oh, we LOVED this!! You know you've done some fantastic blog when people gather 'round like an old fashioned radio and oooh in unison. :)

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Booda Babe- I like that image!..
Yes,..I like it a lot. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home