Friday, September 04, 2009

Surgeon General's Warning:..

..This song has been known to cause diabetes!

Some words are just fun to say.
Quintessential,effervescent,peritonitis,and Valvoline spring immediately to mind.
They're lyrical and evocative,and roll trippingly off the tongue in a most satisfying fashion.
Plus!..As an added bonus!,..they tend to sound like what they mean.
(Okay,..in my youth,I naturally assumed Valvoline was some sort of marital aid).
..Know what I mean?

Anyphonetics,..the word Madrigal has been a long time favorite of mine that I have neglected to ever use in a sentence,here in the pedantic verbosity that is Sling's Domain.

Technically,(not that we're married to technicalishness up in here),Madrigal is a style of romantic music made popular in Italy during the Renaissance,that generally involves two or more vocalists.
No doubt,my good friend Willym could cite numerous classical examples.

For my purposes,I've opted to use the lesser definition;..
'Romantic poetry suitable for setting to music,used to designate certain expressive solo songs'.

I think one of the most charming contemporary efforts,(and definitely in the running for 'Most saccharine tune I've ever heard'),was written by that talented kid,Randy Sparks,and performed here by the late John Denver.
There's an especially savory violin interlude long about the 3:16 mark,that makes me grin with the contented satisfaction of The Cheshire Cat every time I hear it.



'Today'

..'I'll be a dandy,and I'll be a rover.
You'll know who I am,by the songs that I sing.
I'll feast at your table.
I'll sleep in your clover.
Who cares what the 'morrow shall bring'..


I think the world would be a whole lot better place,if people talked like that more often!

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 2:47 PM , Blogger Jan said...

All it takes for the tears to well up is to hear a John Denver song. He once sang, "it turns me on to think of growing old." And now he never will.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

I tried to go straight to 3:16, but the little slider insisted that, at the very least, I could listen to the preceding 30 seconds.

I never get tired of reminding anyone who'll listen that I could take or leave John Denver, but this was soooo so pretty and if it's a madrigal, then I'm obviously a fan. Gosh, it was pretty.

It's really hot here today, so pretty is especially welcome.

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

muslims and chinese might take over the planet but we got the nicest language.

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

madrigal..? great word..wasn't that the name of the lady who used to be a man in the tales of the city series? which i loved by the way..
my favorite word is oxnard
i love john denver...sappy or not...

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Ah Sling you have done it again...I have a freind who thinks John Denver is corny - she has no soul at all methinks. His music makes my heart feel warm and well open. Tears come and the world seems a finer place. One day i hope I'll be able to listen again to more of this... thank you kind sir!

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

Isn’t there a Madrigal in Harry Potter??

He married an Aussie.

Then again some smart yanks do.

HaHa.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I used to sing this song to my babies as I rocked them to sleep.
"A million to morrows will all pass away, ere I forget all the joys that are mine today."
Thanks for the sweet memories and tears this song brings.

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- 'Lie there by the fire,and watch the evenin' tire,while all my friends and my old lady sat and passed the pipe around'..
Damn..We hippies really had our shit together!

Booda Babe- Sorry about the 30 seconds endured doll.I know JD isn't for everyone.
When I think Madrigal,I think mandolins,and harpsichords,and troubadors and such.
This was on my mind. :)

Billy P.- Yes..Yes we do.

Yellerdawg- Ha!..I sometimes wonder about what exactly inspired the good folks of Oxnard,California,to name their fair hamlet after a bovine's gonads.

Middle Child- You know,I thought of you and your Don when I posted this.
..In the most sincere manner.
I take some measure of comfort in this type of thing,and hope that you may as well.
Nice use of the word 'Methinks',..fair maid. ;)

Apos- There's a Madrigal in Harry Potter?..
I should probably make an effort to see one of those movies,if for no other reason.
Then I think I'll try to find myself an Aussie lass to marry.

Mom- Oh,..this makes an excellent lullaby!
I used to sing an archaic tune to my youngest,the name and origin of which I've never been able to track down.

'If you go over the mountain,
and down in the valley,
You'll find a baby sleeping in the thane below..
I won't deceive you..I'll never leave you.
I wouldn't treat a poor baby so'
.
..Ever hear of it?

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger Pat said...

Of course the world would be a better place if folsk talked like that! They'd be too exhausted to be nasty or mean!

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Eternally Curious- Exactly!.. :)

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I have always loved this song and I will "pft" at anyone who rolls his/her eyes. (But a 'pft' is all I can manage because I'll otherwise be occupied speaking in Madrigal).

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

John always seemed like a Renaissance man to me.

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

We used to sing that in girl scouts!!

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Mom said...

What a sweet lullaby.I never have heard it before.

 
At 6:06 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rainey- I appreciate that..Lord knows one of your 'Pht's' has been known to stop scoffers dead in their tracks!

Thinker- Indeed!..Did you know that ol' country boy went to Julliard?
..impressed the hell outta me.

Secret Agent Woman- See!..Two or more voices..Can Madrigal be a verb I wonder?
If so,you had one.

Mom- I heard that song on TV once when I was a kid.
Samantha on 'Bewitched' went back to the middle ages,and performed it playing a dulcimer for some royal dude!
She..er..the song.. was so pretty! :)

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Mrs. Madrigal in Tales of the city.. and she lives, alive and well down here in Austin Texas at The Boca Chica... John Denver's spirit lives in all of us, every time the Sun Shines on our shoulders.. how could we ever forget?

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Sigh...I'm such a sucker for anything John Denver...love it! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home