Monday, March 19, 2007

Damm...That's a really BIG tree!..

I think that one of the most important goals one should have while on vacation,is to escape from the mundane,and refresh the spirit with something truly spectacular.

Since peering down into great chasms is out this year,the Lizzard King and I have decided to gaze up,into the majestic boughs of the planet's tallest trees.*
These are located,for our shopping convenience,a scenic three-hour drive from O-Town in the Redwood National Park.

I was there once as a teenager,but that was 40 years ago.(Holy crap!..forty years?..Even Moses would be like, "Are we THERE yet??")

Like most bloggers,I will be enthusiastically engaged in a couple of important pursuits;




  • Documenting the entire trip by way of saccharine prose,and poorly executed photography..PLUS!

  • Pretending to be some one famous that the other tourists can't quite put their finger on.
The latter is accomplished by taking turns standing in a crowd of awe-struck,camera laden Japanese,and having a confederate rush up and exclaim,"DUDE!...I'm your biggest fan!..can I have your autograph?"..

...but you guys already knew that.

This is always good for few grins,especially when they want to have their picture taken with you so they can go back home,and signify their great American experience before an admiring group of friends and relatives.
(I see this as my civic duty as an American citizen).



We were going to rent a Lincoln Continental to help solidify our celebrity status in the minds of our loyal,albeit slightly confused public,but it simply wasn't in the budget.

We opted instead to go with this little beauty!




No problem..Now,we'll just pretend to be famous people ACTING like regular people....Much more endearing..
Of course,we may have to adopt a poor child from Mendocino to keep up the facade...


..I just don't know.

*We're leaving early in the A.M,so the availability of wireless access will determine the frequency of posts for the next couple of days...or whatever.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

REDWOOD!!!! I wanted to see that, havent made it there yet. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

What's funny is that when you are pretending to be famous, you can even use your own name. As long as just one person gets excited enough about you, others will follow and you get to have hours of entertainment tending to your awaiting public. Good times.

 
At 10:08 PM , Blogger Sling said...

citymouse-I'm already having fun,and we haven't even left yet...:)

monica-People see what they expect to see.. ;)

 
At 1:37 AM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

Oh I love the "autograph" ploy. That cracked me up bet you'd also get others not just the Japs.

Ou Ou *waves hand about in the air madly* how bout adopting some poor Aussie...we can just say I have that aging disease and that I am really only like 8...bet people would hand over money for that also.

Happy Trails to you and the Lizzard King.

 
At 4:02 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Have the very best of times Sling...am so looking forward to you commentary when you return.

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That is hysterical. I can't wait to hear all about it. Have a great time. Sure am glad you showed me how to make a "Vacation".

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger HORIZON said...

lol- you always make me laugh with your sense of humour Sling. l am looking forward to more of your witty phrasing and photos. All the best and safe trip!
;)

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Obviously, you are already en route, but I wanted to stop by and wish you a "bon voyage" (you know, with the kid in France and all, gotta throw in some French). Have a great time! We did a trip down the Oregon coast back in 1994, during the daughter's senior year spring break, future son-in-law in tow. They all wanted to stop in Brookings. I made them go all the way to Redwood cuz I'd never been there, though I've been to Sequoia, and they'd never seen a Redwood. Got the obligatory photo at the giant Paul Bunyan statue to prove we were there. You have to do that one too, preferably with throngs of admirers begging for your autograph. Excellent ploy! Have a blast! Can't wait for pics and stories.

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Dan said...

I was there once as a teenager

Gosh, they must have been tiny saplings back then ... or perhaps even seedlings. Or some other 'ling' that's even smaller?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home