Saturday, February 24, 2007

Fun With Stix!..

I’ve thought,from time to time,of writing about some of my experiences in martial arts here on my blog.I hesitated,because I felt it might come across as some kind of exercise in “chest thumping”.Not that I’m above that necessarily,it’s just that I’m not really about that.Recently,my dear friend Mary brought me some pix she has held onto for over 20 years.The memories are too wonderful not to share..

A little background;
My partner,GB,and I are putting together a staff fighting routine to perform at the “Orange show” in San Bernardino,California.We decided from the beginning that we would execute all the strikes and blocks at full speed and power.This,by necessity,would involve some meticulous choreography in order to make it as realistic as possible,without either of us ending up in the emergency room.
The staffs are made from “Rattan”,a solid core bamboo that,when treated with a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine,becomes virtually unbreakable.The routine employs techniques from the “San Soo” style of Kung-Fu.
It starts with staff “form”..Moves that are done individually to simulate actual fighting technique.Karate enthusiasts would call this “Kata”



After the form,which always consists of 26 moves,We move into the "Attack"


I've disarmed GB.The observer presumes that I now have the advantage..
GB evades a strike...
..and takes me out with a piston kick to the head.
No,he didn't take my head off!..Although contact is made,the punches are "pulled"..Excellent control on GB's part I might add.
After several weeks of practice..
It's SHOWTIME!..Damm,..we were serious..



There were over 100 martial artists in attendance,as well as over 300 observers in the audience..What a rush!..By the way,the 2 kids in the white "Gi's" were students in my kid's class.The one on the left went on to achieve his Black Belt,and open his own studio
"Are you talkin' to ME?"..
It's ON!..
This demo was way back in the 80's kids..But even if I do say so myself,after 20 odd years...
I STILL got it... ;)




Labels:

14 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, you totally do! My dad, my ex bro-in-law, and my granddaughter all did karate... I've seen many a kata!

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Wow wow Sling... ( no I'm not chuckling... not at all.) LIke the rest of us YOU STILL GOT IT!

Maybe I never had it...

Rosemary posted a picture of Leon Russell who we hadn't seen since 1972...he's older than us all at 62 ...but it felt like meeting an old friend...
What is it about our era... that anyone who went thorugh and experienced certain things feels like an old friend.

Thats whi I am chuckling and no offense at all : )

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

Kata....sounds so sexy....yes, Sling you had it, still have it...just one question....why aren't you shirt-less you handsome devil you?

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I am superfantastically impressed. Also, a little scared. Backing away now....

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

Whoaaa.

Dude that pilferer of Ol' Blue just don't know how close they came.

 
At 7:32 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

1st... no way those pics are 20 yrs old
2nd... wow

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger HORIZON said...

Saving the best pic for last Sling ;)
Fantastic times had for sure. Does Judo count- l did a bit of that-lol
Bests

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger HORIZON said...

Saving the best pic for last Sling ;)
Fantastic times had for sure. Does Judo count- l did a bit of that-lol
Bests

 
At 9:10 AM , Blogger Max and Me said...

oooh men with big sticks...why do i find these images so sexy? :>)

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger CS said...

Fun photos. If I were in the audience, I would spend my whole time worrying that the choreography wouldn't be quite precise enough and someone would actually get hurt. But then, I'm a big chicken. Looks like what you were doing takes a lot of skill. And, somehow your current photo reminded me of that great part in "Whale Rider" where the girl's uncle teaches his daughter that Maori martial art, finding out that he still had it, too. Did you see that?

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

hot dang grasshappa...I can't remember any of my kata's...but that was over 30 years ago too...but I used to take mojo when she was a baby to my karate classes from the time she was born till she was 17 months old...her first word was 'keahhh'...

 
At 6:12 AM , Blogger Sling said...

...[insert chest thumping here]..cough...hack..:)

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger barista brat said...

omg sling - those pics were great! and i LOVE how perfectly balanced you are in the current photo. that's mega-impressive!

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Cassandra said...

Speak softly and carry a big stick. You the man Sling!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home