Sunday, March 16, 2008

Do what your Mom says!

Period.The End.

That's how it was when I was growing up.
No doubt,there were occasions when I must have balked.
Surely there was an instance of righteous defiance,wherein my burgeoning sense of social injustice spurred me on to firmly plant my feet,and shout to the heavens,'NO!..It's not fair!'..
..but I can't for the life of me,remember one.

So,when I was tagged by the gentle and sweet tempered mom of Bloggertown...


Follows the requisite rules;
1. Write your own six-word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you’d like.
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post.
4. Tag five more blogs with links.
5. And don’t forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!


I grew up the quintessential 'middle child',among a number of siblings perfectly divisible by five.
An older brother and sister,and a younger brother and sister.
You know all those trials and torments that quite naturally follow a lad with even one of these possible permutations??


Do the math.


It was like being Peter Brady,(or Jan if that helps you better relate),only,..you know,..without a script.


Don't get me wrong a'tall.I wasn't neglected or anything,but face it,my parents pretty much had their hands full dealing with all the childhood angst that is bound to occur amongst offspring whose ages are separated,oldest to youngest,by fifteen years!
In actual fact,I learned early on that if I just kept a low profile,odds were that any drama that eventually ensued would be focused on someone,any one,that wasn't me!
..and I was free to just observe.


I credit any insight I may have into the human condition to this fortuitous perspective.
Thus,my six-word memoir must easily,and succinctly read;


'I'm on the outside,looking in'.


Comes now,the time to tag five of my fellow Bloglodites..Hey!..Because mom said so!..that's why.


Serena Joy...Loves to have fun with words!


Booda Baby...It will be fun to follow the breadcrumbs.


Grish..because he's back!


JP..I mean,he's JP fer chrissake!..I rest my case.


Citizen of the World...Never fails to impress me with her understanding of the things that make people tick..Plus!..Pretty pictures.

Labels:

24 Comments:

At 1:02 PM , Blogger Mom said...

You are such a good boy to mind me like that.
Knowing you are the middle child makes your meme make better sense.
thanks for looking in on my world.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Thanks for the challenge mom! :)
You made me think.

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

uh-oh. I'll try leaving bigger cues. I like to think I leave a pretty easy to follow path, but them blog birds are sneaky bastards and what started out linear ends up ... well, you know.

ANYWAY. That's a pretty darned interesting lesson. I really wouldn't have guessed that freedom to observe was going to come at the end. Or, rather, that it would be your interpretation.

It's a good thing you got the family without the script. Look what you went and wrote all on your own.

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i remember telling my daddy once'that's not fair'..and he reminded me that no where in the constitution does it garantee you that life will be fair..you have the right to pursue happiness, but no one actually said you will get it..
daddy was way smart..

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Booda Babe- You know I'm a huge fan of your thought process right?..Of course you do!
Hence the tag.
As for myself,I felt lucky,even then,to have been able to wake up every day of my youth to the opportunity to envision my future,and reflect on my past.

Yellowdog G.- Do what your daddy says!..He's way smart.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

You're still an amazing human bean, sling.

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger danny/ink2metal said...

i always wondered what it would have been like if i were not the eldest. not that it would have been a textbook experience since my younger brother and i are nine years apart, while my sister and i are 20 years apart.

the parents were slow breeders. LOL

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Yes- the Mom is always right.. just ask my kids, they'll tell you.

And keeping a low profile is often the best route to take ;)

 
At 6:23 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

That is cute. Such an observant man you are. I came from a Brady bunch family, I was Cindy. But I wanted to be Bobby

 
At 6:51 PM , Blogger Serena said...

I love your take on this. I'll attempt it myself on my regular meme day (Wed.).:)

 
At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, sounds like a challenge. I'll do it, I promise!

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosie- Oh thank you! ;)

Danny- Sadly,you may never know the freedom that comes with being stuck in the middle.
Figuratively speaking. :O

doralong- It never occured to any of us to disrespect mom,or grandma,or aunt doris..
Too many uncles,brothers,and cousins waiting to kick your ass should you be foolish enough to do so.

Sage- I wanted to be Captain of the Starship 'Enterprise'.

Serena- You were the first person I thought of when it came to a six-word memoir.
Lookin' forward to Wednesday!

Citizen- It's a really great exercise!
Have fun with it.

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Hey, are those cinnamon bears on the right? Because I love those things.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

eddie munster was always my role model.

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Willym said...

six words and one picture but they do the job. A fascinating post by quite frankly a fascinating man.

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Great post. I was probably closer to Marcia growing up (unfortunately) but now I'm definitely Alice.

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Grish said...

lol i tried, your is better:P

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rainey-..Lemme check *pops one in mouth*..Hmm.I'm not sure *pops 3 more*..
Why yes!..they are cinnamon! *crams handful*..Mmphh mirfhle flummer!

billy P.- Now I have to tell you a story.
When we were kids,my little brother got in a fight with Butch Patrick in Gardena California..and kicked his butt..The end.

willym- Thanks buddy!..You're too kind.

kimberly ann- I had a huge crush on Marsha!
In retrospect,Alice was quite the hottie herself. ;)

grish-..I'll be the judge of that!..

 
At 9:16 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Another Middle Child and of five also... YOU KNOW!

I was noticed by being a talker and asking eternal why. But really wanted to know why.

Two older and two younger and the difference being 15 years and born in 54 fffrrreaky...but we were all girls...whew!

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Sling said...

middle child- Yep..I know! ;)
I pretty much kept to myself,and passed the time reading everything I could get my hands on...Quite the young hermit.

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

(grabs last cinnamon bear, promptly pulls out bridgework)

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Allan said...

I wasn't tagged,but:

Mom taught me to drink beer.

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rainey- I was saving that one!

allan- Ha!..Thanks for playing along.

 
At 7:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's there now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home