Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Slinglets..A Daddy Blog

Every other week,sometimes once a month,occasionally three days in a row,but almost always on holidays,..like clockwork,my daughter Jessica calls to fill me in on the state of my progeny.
She's my eldest...That's her job.
Last night was just such an occasion!

You see,I live here,and they live there,and while we may not have seen each other for a time,the familial connection runs deep.

Turns out,she is loving her new job managing an apartment complex down in So.Cal.
She's been doing this kind of work for the last ten years or so,and enjoys the freedom of working at home,as it were,not to mention the two-story townhouse that comes with the position.
My oldest granddaughter Tyler has her own MySpace page!
So,quite naturally,I will be keeping a close eye on that in an effort to insure that she's not having too much fun.
That's my job.
Little Jackson is,apparently,getting bigger.
No doubt the result of feeding him three times a day.
Jessica assures me that he is developing into quite the handsome lad!
My middle granddaughter,Erin, is stubborn,willful,contrary,argumentative,and
opinionated.
I couldn't be more pleased!

My son Matthew is doing a fine job taking care of my youngest granddaughter Olivia,working hard for a construction outfit,building homes.
I don't think it's too bold an assumption to say that he comes by his skill naturally.
Did I mention he's also written music for the accoustic guitar?
Seems he's fond of finger pickin'.
He and I did a pretty fair duet last time I was down there.-------> :)

It occurs to me that sometimes,no matter what you do,your children turn out okay in spite of it.

19 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Your children are blessed to have you for a father. It sounds like there is a lot of love in your family.
I love telephone calls from my children.

 
At 3:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't kid yourself - those children of yours didn't turn out okay in spite of you. You love them, they know it, and you have every right to be proud.

 
At 5:54 AM , Blogger Willym said...

For some reason the old apple-tree-proximity thing sprang to mind. Physical distance may be prseent but they do sound a fair bit like what we know of you. And that as that little old apple pie maker Martha says: Is a damned good thing! Okay Martha doesn't swear except at her assitants but....

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

Excellent! Glad all are doing well!

And I'm pretty well banking on that no matter what you do, they'll turn out okay in the long run theory..

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger HORIZON said...

Hiya Sling- long time no see. Thought l'd stop by to see how you're doing. Nice look for the blog- any barspace left? Your family circle sounds fun- can just hear the banter on the phone and your playing guitar together. That's what it's all about- l think. For me anyway.
keep well :)

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

With a witty wonderful dad, I am sure they are wonderful kids. I would love to have a parent with your wit and wisdom.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

You give me hope, my friend. Well done.

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

I love calls from the kids and grandkids too.....I am missing them tons at the moment. I share the feeling about your last line...I wear the medal of bad parenting around my heart and know that I did little to claim credit for how my kids have turned out. although i would have to say that some of the traits and talents you shared about them do have a similar ring to yours. You are a good, decent person sling....

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

man, you got more going for you than a two headed turtle.

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Allan said...

Erin is one of my fave names...cool! Glad to hear the pickin' is passing to the next gen!
(Keep your anti-virus on HIGH while you patrol My Space, I had a serious problem a while back...Avast - which I installed via a tip from you- helped a lot!)

On the subject of good kids, I'll leave out the obligatory Menendez Bros. reference...oh, damn!
Sorry.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger Serena said...

Sounds like you have terrific kids.:)

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Sometimes I was there,and sometimes I wasn't.
In the end,My kids turned out to be decent and honorable human beings.
I couldn't be more proud of them! :)

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

glad to hear the kids are good... and i can so relate-- im the oldest, it's my job!

 
At 11:07 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

lucky you....very lucky them...

 
At 7:30 AM , Blogger LostInColor said...

How lucky you are to have such wonderful slinglets! but it is becuse they are blessed to have a slingpop!

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

It's nice to hear about your kids and grandkids. The softer side of Sling.

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

That is so cool to have family jobs that are fun! (Which sounds like not much of a comment at all, but I mean a WHOLE lot more.)

 
At 11:55 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Sling, do you know how lucky you are?

Grand kids... whew...I will be so pleased when that happens...we don't seem to be the most fertile of families...but I dearly want my daughters to know the joy of being a mum...the rest is less...if this makes sense to you.

Ol Grand daddy Sling hey?

Sounds good for a 54 yr old... lucky you.

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger more cowbell said...

sounds like they got the important chips off the old block. (and your middle granddaughter sounds like my middle Demon -- I couldn't be more pleased about her feisty stubborn self either!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home