Thursday, August 07, 2008

..wherein I choose to remain oblivious.

Tomorrow marks the opening of the umpteenth Summer Olympic games in China,and I'm gonna be all over it.

I'm not a sports fan of the type that can recount the vital stats of a favorite team,or tell you who pitched,or ran,or batted in the winning run back in '63.

I know as of just this morning,that Brett Favre (which should in all good sense be pronounced 'Faver'..but there you have it) played for Green Bay,and is now signed with the New York Giants..
Tomorrow,I'll have forgotten those wee bits of esoterica, in farve of being in the moment.

The moment that we set aside every four years,to revel in the sheer physicality of being Earthlings.

OH!..The things we can do!

The lovely and vivacious Booda spoke of this some few days past,in reference to those artistic gifts we strive to pass amongst ourselves.Things we put forward in an effort to connect with our kind.
Things that transcend cultural and political boundaries,and serve to elevate that part of us that hungers for more than just our daily bread.

That's what I'm talkin' about,right there!

And so,for the duration of this Olympiad,I choose to remain oblivious to the myriad and sundry socio-political ramifications of celebrating the best that dwells in each of us,in a country that may very well be the number one violator of human rights.
..I just don't know.

But!..I do know this!..

I'll root for America first,'cause,..you know.
Then I'll see,(I goddamm guarantee ya),that unique individual performance that sets the standard for our species,and I'll embrace them as if they had sprung from my very loins.

I'll root for them if they hail from Egypt,or Israel,or Palestine,or Cuba.
Russia,Canada,Latvia,or Bolivia.
Ghana,China,Kismet,...Tibet.
I'll be proud to have them represent me,regardless of their Latitude,or the name by which they choose to address their God.

Hell,..I'll even root for the Guantanamanians,if they prove to show me how it's done.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 7:33 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

ooh, am i with you on this one..i root for the americans first..then the canadians..but basically im rooting for them to do their best...and i marvel at what they can do...all the training..they make my heart swell with love for the world..which will last for about 3 days after the olympics and then everybodys back to being assholes..

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, you almost made me want to watch the Olympics...

Almost.

:)

 
At 2:27 AM , Blogger evilganome said...

I don't have a TV, so I'll just have to hear about the Olympics ad nauseum from all of my co-workers. Though, I hafta say, I almost want to watch for the hot menz. Not enough to pay for cable, but still.....

 
At 3:54 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

It does give a little hope that at least for a few days we can transcend the petty bullshit of politics and simply be awed by these athletes.

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger Sling said...

yellerdawg- Wow..I just read your post.
Looks like great minds think alike! :)
I'll go back to being a cynical old bastard after the Games.

MHP- Well at least you considered it kid. :)

evil G.- I'll try not to rave too much here on my blog,but I expect there's gonna be some things worth a nod.
If LK didn't work for DirecTV,I probably wouldn't be able to watch either,in spite of all the hot chicks.

doralong- Rememeber back wehen the U.S. opted out of the Olympics?..All those kids that worked so hard lost that precious window of opportunity..it was sad.

 
At 7:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember way back when when all the families would gather round the B&W tele and have dinner on TV trays so we could all watch the Olympics. We talked about them in school during the year--the tele adds would bombard the airways weeks in advance for both summer and winter games....it was American spirit at it's finest.

Nowadays we didn't even know they were going to have hem until a few weeks ago. They are only televised on one station--not like every station years ago when the athletes weren't professionals.
Don't care to watch that much anymore sad to say.

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger LostInColor said...

Yippee!! The Olympics! Makes me happy.

 
At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, its should be pronounced Fa-vruh (that's as close as I can make it trying to spell phonetically) because it's French. But Fav-er would still be more sensible than Farve.

But back to the real topic. Ther's a lot we ought to be doing about China - like not selling them this country - but not watching the Olympics won't change anything. I'll be watching some of it.

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Luv the Olympics!
I am hoping to observe everything and cheer for USA and all underdogs. I love the countries that only have a few athletes...I want them to win. I will be naked for most of the viewings.

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i hear that kim jong il has already declared himself the winner of 8 gold medals.

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

haaa. Billy Pilgrim!

Oh, yes! This was one great paean (assuming paean means what I think it does) to that beautiful thing the Olympics celebrates.

I think of the commercial that features Shawn Johnson saying what it honor it was to win the world championships. I'm sorry that she's so steeped in the popular culture and rhetoric that has to apologize for aiming as high as you can, for working hard to shape your talents and skills, for pushing beyond okay-ness to excellence.

I don't want her or any one who sets out to create to ever apologize to me. I'm with you. They make me proud to be a fricking human being.

He was signed with the Jets, wasn't he?

 
At 8:46 PM , Blogger Sling said...

CS- I remember when they would bring a TV into the classroom,and reading,writing,and arithmetic would be put on the back burner..good times.

Lost- WOO HOO!

citizen- I say we rent them this country,rather than sell it...oh,the capitalist in me.

Sage- Naked??...I wanna watch the Olympics at your house. ;)

billy P.- I heard he was romantically linked to Mark Spitz..

booda- See!..I told you I wasn't gonna retain those bits of minutia..Jets it is.
(moving right along)..Are you watching the opening ceremonies?..
I put them on pause so I could respond to comments,and I gotta tell ya!..something.
I'll search for some new adjectives later.

 
At 10:52 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

I absolutely love the Olympics. And the World Cup. I root for the Hungarians too. When I lived there, they were SO proud of their athletes -- they didn't have hundreds like we do, only a few, and it meant so much to everyone.

Oh, and I do have to say I'm very happy that football season also started today. Just the preseason, but hey, works for me.

 
At 11:44 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Will ya no root for the Aussies...please...we are awfully small country - only 21 million

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Sling said...

cowbelle- I trip on the countries with only one athlete.Someone that really couldn't even compete at high scoll level in most countries,but is there carrying the flag of their nation just the same...love it!

middle child- hey!..isn't it winter down there?..You guys do the summer olympics in winter?..That's hard core right there!
Of course I'll root for ya! ;)

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I don't really care about the Summer Olympics. Never really have. Gymnastics a little, I guess, but I guess I'm just more of a speed skating/skiing/figure skating kinda gals.

But all y'all have fun watching. I'll make you some popcorn.

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rainey- It's absolutely the gymnastics for me as well.
People can,it would appear,fly at will.
Oh yes.
I have to admit a preference for women's figure skating,comes the winter tide..
Legs for days!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home