Friday, July 11, 2008

Sail Away..

I was pretty excited when I found out that I was going on a most unusual install .
Typically,we'll drive out to the job site,back the trailer up to the house,unload and install our product,and be on our merry way.
But not today.

Our task this day was to replace all the cabinet doors and drawer fronts in a house boat,floating gracefully on our very own Lake O-Town!
I've been around the lake,but never on it.

..Here's the entrance to the marina,where we'll load our tools and materials onto a ferry that will cart our happy asses out to the customer's houseboat..
Normally,this time of year,these sailboats would be out and about.
But the smoky conditions are keeping all but the hardiest sailors at home.

I guess these guys are wonderin' where all the tourists are.
Next time,I'll think to bring some bread crumbs.
Welcome to the 'hood!..Now all we have to do is find the right street.
Fortunately,our Captain knows this pond like the back of his hand.
We arrived at our destination after a pleasant 15 minute cruise.

This is the view from the back porch..
Okay,..we came here to work after all...

We set about replacing all the doors and drawer fronts on these existing cabinets.
These are what we call 'paint grade' doors.
The customer will paint them as they wish.
They are built with beaded MDF (medium density fiberboard) panels set in Poplar frames..An inexpensive way to remodel.


..sorry about the poor quality of these photos,but this is the best I could do, given the tight space,and dismal lighting.

The whole operation took about an hour.
The happy owner passed out sodas while we waited for the ferry to come pick us up...Hey!..That's my reflection in the sliding glass door!

We waited,and enjoyed the view for about 20 minutes until our ride back to shore arrived...That 'helicopter' lookin' object at 11 o'clock is a dragonfly.

As far as I'm concerned,this was an enjoyable day off,with pay!
..makes me just wanna sail away.


Have a great weekend kids!

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 9:11 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

wow, there is just something about being on or around water ..lakes, ponds, oceans, rivers, criks, tanks, doesn't matter...just nice..
lucky dog..

 
At 9:21 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Hey that looks amazing and nice. WOw your air up there looks bad. Poor thing..you should have a smoke so you can filter out the pollution.

 
At 5:40 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

SSmoke gets in your eyes...
glad you had a good days work out on the water - sounds like a good day -

 
At 6:17 AM , Blogger LostInColor said...

Houseboats seem so cool. Someday maybe I can see one live and in person.

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

house boats rock!

when i was a ute my buddy had one. oh, the times we had. the world was our urinal.

 
At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. Wonder if I oculd get my patients to meet me on a boat for their sessions?

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger Jan said...

That is so cool. Couldn't you have found a way to stay longer, like mess something up and have to do it over?

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

Wow, that was a day off with pay! In spite of the smoke..
Love that song.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Sling said...

yellerdawg- It was great fun!
I was like a kid,snappin'pictures and having a ball.

Sage- the talking heads are saying that breathing the air lately is like smoking a cigarette!

middle child- Yep,..some days diamonds. :)

Lost- This is my first time ever being on one.

billy P.- HA!..That shit's funny right there! :)

citizen- If you'll get a houseboat,I'll see if I can't find me some psychological problems that need treating..I'm sure I must have some around here someplace.

jan- The customer already took care of that.He decided to have us make some decorative trim and bedrails,so we'll be going back in a week or two. :)

doralong- I'm not a big Randy Newman fan,but I do like this tune very much.

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

What a wonderful time! There is something so peaceful about houseboats and you realize how little one needs to live.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Serena said...

What an extremely cool job!

 
At 1:12 AM , Blogger Willym said...

And you got paid for this? Despite the smoke you are one lucky man.

I'm sure there must be a downside to living on a houseboat but it always seems so romantic.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Sling said...

austexgrl- I'm a huge fan of minimalist living...'Stuff' just has a tendency to become burdensome.
I was amazed to discover that it only costs $100.00 a month to keep a houseboat on the lake!.
That includes the ferry service,24 hour security,and having the divers out to adjust the anchor chains as the water level rises and falls.
..Can you say,'Retirement'? :)

serena joy- It definitely has it's perks!

willym- The smoke is slowly getting under control.Or maybe I'm just getting used to it.
Mostly,it obscured what was surely some spectacular views.
I think the downside of living on a houseboat full-time would be our winters here in NorCal.

 
At 7:07 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I have to sit in a cubicle all day. I'm jealous of you.

:)

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger Sling said...

MHP- It's all about perspective kid.
You get to live in an exciting,and vibrant city,along with your soul mate.
That's an enviable postion to be in by any standard. :)

 
At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the boat rock while you were doing the install? Are you now officially a River Rat? That's a good thing in Idaho.....someone that is in the water all day long during summer.

 
At 10:54 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

I know those are pictures of bad bad air, but they're pretty damned atmospheric, I think. Haunted. Beautiful. Other words that mean that sort of thing.

Suddenly, with just a few picture hints, you seem to be someone who ought to be living on water.

Am I making that up? You've lived everywhere else. Maybe it's time.

 
At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice way to enjoy the work day--I'll say! Whilst the rest of our poor folk are slavin away at hard labor, you go and set your sights on a merry cruise. Boy--some folk have it all!

And pretty nice ship's cupboards you installed. Your name will be floating all over the lake now! :^)

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Sling, you're absolutely right! Thanks for the reminder. :)

 
At 7:34 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosie- Yes!..The boat did rock.
We had to coordinate our job functions to do the thing properly..no shit.

booda babe- I grew up in the water,..surf cat and all that,so living on the water seems like a natural progression.
On my whole list of 'druthers,I'd 'druther be traveling up and down the Mississippi,just like Tom Sawyer.

CS- Mom always said that if I did my chores,and lived a clean life,good things would come to me!..thank god I ignored her.

MHP- :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home