Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's not too late to smother me with hugs and kisses!..

I trust everyone had a most delightful,and heartwarming Christmas day!

We celebrated quietly around the homestead,gathering about the tree to enjoy Little Newt's gleeful plunge into his well deserved bounty,and reveling in the triptophentastic excesses of the traditional holiday meal,lovingly prepared by Lizzard King,and Mom O' Same.

As an added bonus,..I turned 55 years old!
Successfully making the transition from middle-age into Senior Citizenship,thus becoming eligible for all the rights and privileges proscribed therein.

Including,..but not limited to;
  • Wagging my finger at the neighborhood kids and exclaiming 'By-Cracky!' for no apparent reason.
  • Wandering into the liquor store wearing my robe and pajamas for a six-pack of Schlitz and a pepperoni stick,..in the middle of the afternoon.
  • **Shamelessly flirting with 20 year old waitresses,and having them refer to me as 'kindly',....and,
  • Making pointless references to obscure historic events,as though everyone quite naturally understands what the hell it is I'm talkin' about..
Oh sure,..I've been doing these things for some few years,..but now it's sanctioned!

I want to give a shout out to all my blog buds that sent birthday e-mails,and e-cards,with a particular nod to Lorraine for her thoughtful phone call,and Yellowdog Granny for the surprise cornucopia of West,Texas goodies!

Have a great week kids!..

**(Offer not available in all establishments,..check your local listings)..

16 Comments:

At 2:09 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I love to talk about a building that was the "old Penneys" or the "old Lyceum" movie house or the "old Woolworths" when they haven't been those for many years. Drives the young uns crazy.

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger Willym said...

oh damn did I forget your birthday! And Senior's discount at 55 - what the hell is that all about. Okay fine I got my Canada Pension at 60 but got to wait another 5 years for discounts.

And you forgot that you can also now wander off in midsentence and no one will find it odd or unsettling.

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- My point exactly!..Everyone knows where the Old Woolworth's building is.

willym- ..and saying things like,'I didn't forget it 'till you reminded me!'..

..As a general rule here in the colonies,places like resturants,theatres,etc,and many public services offer 'senior citizen' discounts to people 55 and over.

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

And many, many more!

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

And don't forget that when talking to the young kids you have to start every sentence with, "Why, in my day....".

Also it is now mandatory that the waistline of your pants be pulled well above your belly button, at least four inches is required. The female equivalent of this is a big ugly purse.

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Happy birthday!
Don't forget to preface all your remarks with,"When I was your age.."

 
At 6:17 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

it's now official.
Your an old fart.

glad you liked your west, texas surprise..and by the way..? how was the dublin dr pepper?..did the kids like the books?

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

do you get one of those handi-cap parking deals for your bike?

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Pat said...

Wow - 55 is the line in the sand for being an old fart? Crap - I'm not far behind you then, Sling! Happy belated. 'Moff now, running away to hide before I turn 55 and people start calling me "that crazy old senior citizen woman". I liked it a lot better when they just called me "that crazy old woman"!

Honestly - I thought 60 or even 65 was the doomsday for SC-ship! Ever the optimist, aren't I? (^_^)

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Sorry I'm so late to the party! Happy Belated Birthday, Sling-o! :)

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Doralong- Well,not too many more.
Like,maybe 20 or so would be fine.

Thinker- Do I really need to have a permanent wedgie??
..I'd rather just carry the ugly purse.

mom- When I was your age,we were so poor that all I got for my birthday was a pair of pants with holes cut in the pockets,so I'd have something to play with.

Yellerdawg- I can't wait for my old fart membership card to come in the mail!
The Dublin DP was chilled to perfection,and was the perfect compliment to roast turkey,and candied yams.
I'm not sure who liked the books more,Little Newt,or Lizzard King.(LK got all twitterpated over the Monkees)

Billy P.-I won't park it..I'll just put a basket on it,and take it into the grocery store when I go shopping.

Eternally Curious- Oh,we know 55 isn't really old,but if it'll get me 25% off a chili-size at Denny's I'm all over it!

Miss HP- Thank you doll! :)

 
At 1:38 AM , Blogger Grish said...

I'm a lil late buy I hope you had a great Christmas.

Be safe for New Years!

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Grish- Hey buddy!!
It's never too late to hear from an old friend!
I hope you and yours had a terrific Christmas,and send my wishes for a Happy new year.

 
At 2:43 PM , Blogger evilganome said...

Only one more year! For some reason I thought I would have to wait till I was 60. Still, better sooner than later.

A belated happy birthday. On the east coast, I think it's mandatory to have the pants pulled up to the armpits. And cloth bedroom slippers, with no socks.

I love referring to landmarks that are no longer there, but once again, that is a New Englandism. People here do that all the time, regardless of their age.

 
At 2:47 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

55? i have underwear older than you

 
At 12:57 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

A big happy big 55 Sling... I follow you in February..tell me is it painful...

I hope you enjoy all the privilidges of a senior...

us baby boomers have to figure out how to make it work for us....getting older that is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home