Friday, December 19, 2008

Bubble Lights...

When I was just a toddlin' lad,and beginning to recognize that there were some things that occurred in cycles,(yes,..I was precocious like that),I came to know that Santa Claus would be visiting us soon,because there were bubble lights on the tree.

No,..oddly enough,it wasn't the arrival of the tree itself,or standing aside dutifully while Pops wrestled it into perpendicular perfection.
It wasn't watching my mom and big sister carefully installing ornaments,and tinsel,and strings of popcorn.
..These things transpired in the light of day,you see.

In my developing sense of cause and effect,Santa wasn't officially coming until darkness fell,and the revealing glare of the table lamps in the living room were replaced with the soft,warm glow of those gently rising bubbles.
There was color,and motion,and a most satisfying quiet in my head.
..A trinity of talismans necessary to tempt Santa into overlooking the short list of misdeeds a young scalawag might accumulate during the course of a year.
The proof made manifest on Christmas morn,..the logic,inescapable..

You can still get bubble lights,although these days they are made of plastic,and not glass...at least the ones I've seen while out and about.
I prefer my memories..



'Valley Winter Song'

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 11:28 AM , Blogger Jan said...

I loved those lights, the glass ones. Probably yet another precious memory lost to production in China.

 
At 12:10 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

I love the bubble lights!! they make nightlight bubble lights now. My friend has some at her house and sometimes I just stare at them in a trance. I really need to find a hobby.

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh man...I loved those bubble lights..and you know what I really miss?..Angel hair. Remember angel hair.? all it was was spun insulation I think..but it would be so pretty with the bubble lights glowing from in the angel hair. One year my mom got pink angel hair and freaked me out..
ahh, the good ole days.

 
At 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubble lights! How cool. You know what else would be cool? Lava lamp Christmas tree lights.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Oh man, my parents had bubble lights, too!--I loved those things! :)

A couple of years ago, my sister bought me a bubble light nightlight--I bring that thing out every year...it brings back so many great memories... :)

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Thanks for making me remember the magic of bubble lights.

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Never had bubble lights. Tinsel brings back memories for me. Decorating perfection if applied correctly. Not too much, not too little. The special technique of tossing it onto the tree is handed down from mother to daughter.

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i remember how expensive all that stuff was for my parents.

mom got pretty mad when me and the dog broke ornaments and lights. dad was drinking so he didn't mind.

 
At 3:52 AM , Blogger Willym said...

Bubble lights - we had a set when I was a kid (back in the 50s) - glass of course, mutli-coloured and I recall as time passed the chemical inside started to solidify. Always wondered what was in them?

We bought a minature set a few years ago but they weren't the same. Could it be that plastic just doesn't reflect the same way.

Thanks for the memory.

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

my mom was Catholic...no bubble lights. We did have strung popcorn and cranberries tho.....and we left cookies and eggnog for Santa who managed to come down our broken chimney. I remember my mother yelling at me for throwing tinsel on the tree....she placed one strand at a time and the tree looked frozen somehow.

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

I loved those bubble lights!

 
At 5:41 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

What the hell are you all talking about?!? I LOVE ornaments and lights and the way Christmas nights get more mysterious and enchanted as evening turns to night but something's gone awfully wrong if I don't know anything at all about bubble lights.

Was I cheated? I bet I was. Where can I see these things?

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh, my poetical friend!

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

I still have my grandparents bubble lights..and I had an electrician re wire them a couple of years ago...glass bubble lights...that work. Joy!

 
At 10:04 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

God Sling I remember getting the crepe paper and making those criss cross streamers ...too...you are right memories are best...my wonderful dad doing the christmas shopping and we would watch as he unloaded peanuts and lollies..."not to ne touched till Christmas"...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home