Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I clicked 'Like',..because Facebook doesn't have a 'HELL YES!' button..

WHEW!!..I really needed to step away from Facebook for awhile. Now I see how folks can get hooked on farms,and the Mafia and such.
My own daughter is sending me Instant Messages (via Facebook,of course) and chastising me in that tone she has just like her mother's,even when I know for a fact I put the toilet seat down..
..'Dude!..You need to blog something!'..

Fine then..

We've been having what I call 'scheduled weather' this month.
Each week,beginning on Monday,and ending on Friday,it's either been hot and sunny,or cold and rainy during the entire work week.
I don't remember what it's been like on weekends,because I don't have to worry about how to dress for work..Maybe the weather takes weekends off.

This week's schedule calls for cold and rainy,(and yes,..6o degrees in California is COLD!)..It's during these times that we landscaping types like to catch up on some of the indoor projects we've been setting aside for just such an occasion.
So yesterday,we made toys!..


Have you ever heard of 'Oklahoma Horseshoes'?..It's a surprisingly addictive game,the object of which is to toss a 2 3/4" flat washer into a hole drilled in the target ramps you see my co-workers assembling above.
Tossing your washer from about 12 feet,if it stays on the ramp it's worth 1 point..If it partially covers the hole it's 2 points..A 'ringer' (sinking your washer fully into the hole) is worth 3 points.
Quite naturally,great amounts of alcohol consumption is involved.

********In Other News********

It's going to be a bountiful fruit crop this year,..right here in Sling's Domain!
I fully expect to triple last year's harvest.
Oh,the following 'before' pictures may not look like much now,but come summer I'll be gorging on the citrusy goodness of the very finest produce NorCal has to offer!

Baby Oranges..These suckers will be 4" in diameter,and extremely easy to peel and segment.


Mom-O gets all the credit for tending these Blackberries.
She's been cultivating them in a pot for a few years with meager results,but it looks like this year is off to a much more encouraging start..


I submit that the wines of Northern California rival the very best wines in the world,and I'll tell you why...
Soil,sun,rain,and the most remarkably delicious grapes you'll ever taste!
Comes the 100+ degree days of summer,and a chilled bowl of these is like heaven on a cloud*..


*I was gonna say they're like having little orgasms in your mouth,..but thought better of it...

15 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh how I miss Northern California gardening! We used to have a lemon tree in our back yard that fruited and blossomed simultaneously so we had lemons (and the fragrance of lemon blossoms) all year round. Sigh....

 
At 1:19 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh yes...the oranges, the berries, the apricots, the apples, the peaches, the avacados, the almonds, the ...everything..i miss that a lot..i made pies for everyone when i lived in stockton..cherry, apple, peach..and canned everything i could get into a jar..i was miss jackie fucking stewart before martha knew what a fig was..
i refuse to play those stupid games on facebook..makes me pissy

 
At 4:12 AM , Blogger Charlene said...

Your grape vines look like mine. Alas these are not the fruit bearing kind. These are the wild kind.

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger Anne said...

yum.
the garden, not the weather.

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i haven't had an orgasm in my mouth since i quit drinking scotch. my lungs had a nice little orgasm last night tho.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

The fruit of your loins sort-of...at least of your camera. So, let me get this straight....the county pays you to make toys? Now that's getting my money's worth....really....if I lived in your county that is.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, your daughter is right--you do need to keep blogging and keep your blog readers happy. *smiles*

Glad to see you back...anyway, I am SO jealous of you and your California bloomin' fruits. Enjoy, my friend! :)

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Elizabeth- The fruit and the frgrance..That's bonus points right there!

Yellerdawg- I don't play the games,but the conversations at my favorite fan page get pretty animated.
The partner likes to dehydrate a lot of different stufffor us to snack on
We had cherries and nectarines today.

Charlene- I have to tell ya,I didn't know there was such a thing as grapevines that didn't produce fruit..They grow everywhere in these arts,and they always produce.
Ours need almost no maintenance,except to occasionally weave the vines so they don't spread out too far.

Anne- Next week we're scheduled for sunshine! :)

Billy P.- So you know what I'm sayin' ;)

Rosie- I was wondering if someone was gonna call me on that.
We're groundskeepers,so there just isn't much we can do in the rain.
Besides making toys,we also cleaned and straightened up the shop,cleaned the laundromats at 3 of our facilities,..like that.
That just doesn't sound like as much fun as toymaking. ;)

Miss HP- Oh I'll keep pluuging along blogging.
I've just been on a bender over this immigration thing in Arizona.

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

I actually have all that extra stuff blocked on FB because it annoys me. When I am remiss in blogging it has more to do with having a list of a bazillion things I need to get done.

 
At 6:32 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

In Michigan we call that game cornhole but we use beanbags instead of washers. Your blogging break coincided with my vacation so I didn't notice.

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Beautiful bounty. What is it, before it's bounty?

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Secret Agent Woman- When I remiss in blogging,it's usually from the lack of an actual life.
Shit Happens. :)

Thinker- In California,we try to avoid use of the term 'Cornhole'.
I mean,..have you ever been to Oakland?..I rest my case.

BOOOOODA Babe- 'What is it,before it's bounty?'..
It's faith..Silly girl.

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I miss it when you don't blog. you need to keep mom happy.Blog!

 
At 12:35 AM , Blogger Laurent said...

Making toys too, gardening, etc... you have talent, maybe you should have your own TV show, could be Dr. Sling live!

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

But you said it anyhow - some tastes are like that!

The photos are so clear...you must have a good camera. And I have learned something today - I had never heard of that game.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home