Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

'If I could build a sailing ship,
I'd take the helm,and chart a trip.
The world to plunder,I'd fill it's beams,
With joy,and wonder,and all your dreams.

If I could build a chest secure,
an ark of holding to endure,
I'd gather all your secret fears,and bind them for a thousand years.

And if I could build a house that could,
be filled with all your hopes,
..I would'.

Sling..


I hope all the moms out there in Bloggertown had a wonderful day today!

The weather o'er these past couple of weeks has been nothing less than spectacular!
Lots of sunshine,and moderate temps have brought out some of the best nature has to offer.
And so,I find my self in need of unloading a fewhere in Sling's Domain..

I thought of my dear friend Yellerdawg when I took this..She has a fondness for clouds,you know.


These Canadian kids were spotted having a great time,relaxing on the mighty Feather River.


I ran into my buddy Peair down by the river,and he let me knock a few golf balls as far as I could..
His honest critique of my style?
'It's a golf club,..not a baseball bat!'
I've never swung a club in my life,short of miniature golf,so I had to to practice looking off in the distance for this picture,even as the ball ended up landing five feet in front of me.


I'm told by the nice lady that grew this that it's called a 'Red-hot Poker'.
I don't know about that,but as long as she keeps making The Partner and I peanut butter cookies,she can call it whatever she wants.


This red-headed character is one of a couple species of Hummingbirds that hang out at our Winston Gardens complex..
He's fairly large for a Hummingbird I think,and not too shy about letting me in for a close-up.


Yep..It's parade season here in O-Town.
I swear,these folks will use any excuse to march down Main Street,drink beer,and eat chili...Not that I'm complaining.
Yesterday was 'Feather Fiesta Day"..Next comes 'Perry Mason Day',in honor of Earle Stanley Gardner having gone to high school here in O-town,
..and I'm so not kidding.


Lizzard King's little niece Abby,waiting for the parade participants to throw some candy her way..


..The End.

24 Comments:

At 9:05 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I had the best mother's day ever.
My birder thinks your bird is an Anna's Hummingbird.

 
At 9:19 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Mom- I did an image search,and I think your birder is correct!
Glad to hear you had a fine Mother's day. :)

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Willym said...

That golf swing of yours is... is... is.. well swingy!

Great photos as always.

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Willym- Thank you for your kind appraisal of my golfing technique!
..At least you didn't point at me laughing,and call random strangers over to join in the heckling like Peair did. ;)

 
At 4:20 AM , Blogger Charlene said...

Your golf swing resembles mine. The actual game of golf is rediculous anyway!

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

I love the pictures ..what a nice little place you live.

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger mi said...

gorgeous pics, as usual.

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Laurent said...

you get hecklers and you golf, watch-it you too could turn into Tiger Woods.

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

lovely poem...and the clouds were spectacular...thanks for that..
hummingbird on steroids..ha
you think you have a bad swing, you should see me trying to shoot around my tits...now thats a weird swing.

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger Jan said...

Your golf style is most impressive...for a .300 baseball hitter.

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger Anne said...

Thanks.

I had some Red-Hot Poker plants in my garden but I don't think they still live there; cool plants though.

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

As a non-child owner, I headed straight for the photos and was filled with happiness. Did you pump up the saturation in one of the many saturation pumping programs? They're so hot and color-popping! Fantasic.
I mean, it's hard to get a cloud shot that's not like a whole lot of other cloud shots, but you GOT IT!

And that hummingbird, matching the roof top is sweeeet.

Et cetera, et cetera. Are you using a tripod or are these hand held snaps?

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

next year i'm giving the lovely mrs myshkin a red hot poker for mother's day.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

I've always heard them called red hot pokers, too, or torch lilies (even though they don't look like lilies to me).

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Charlene- I was hooked on watching golf for a while.
I make a much better armchair critic than an actual participant.

Sage- I really do love it here..The river is a 5 minute walk from my house,and main street is right on the corner.
Lots to love about O-Town!

mi- Thanks doll! :)

Laurent- I don't think Tiger's gonna lose any sleep over me. ;)

Yellerdawg- I'd pay money to see you golf! :)

Jan- Old habits die hard.

Anne- It's an interesting plant.
So far,the only one I've seen around town.

Boooda Babe- I went on a mission to get some of the amazing colors of the season.
I did ;Adjust auto lavels' in Photoshop,but stayed away from the saturation,because I didn't need it!..Those roses at the top really are that brilliant...Sadly,they only stay that way for about two days,and then they die.
Funny you should mention the color matched Hummer,because I was a little disappointed in the angle of that shot..I would like to have had a more contrasting backgroud.
All the shots are hand-held.
I have a tri-pod,but rarely use it.

Billy P.- No doubt,that would put a smile on the lovely Mrs. Myshkin's face.

Secret Agent Woman- 'Torch Lilies'..I think I like that name better.
I'll pass it on to the lovely owner.

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Little Abby is quite the fashion plate. Not many little girls go that extra mile and color coordinate their balloon.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, you got a photo of goslings!--my favorite! *smiles*

Also, that hummingbird is wicked-cool...I LOVE hummingbirds. :)

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Thinker- She's a little cutie.
She picked that balloon all by herself!

Miss HP- I knew you'd like the goslings! :)

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Tiger Woods had just better watch his back with you a swinging...did you yellout "fore"?
at least you didn't get ordered off the golf course..as Don did many years ago because he kept hitting the grass hard and tore a hole in the course...he was a bit drunk and it was his first go at it...

That sure is a Red hot poker - same name over here
I doon't think we have Hummingbords over here - excallent photo.

Lovely photos all

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Middle Child- I have to tell ya,this whole name game thing is totally cool!
I just this very morning passed on 'Torch Lilly' to the owner,and she loved it!
Now I have to let her know that,all the way down in Australia,they call it a red-hot poker!
Could it be that we've imported the flower from down under?
(BTW..Do people in Astralia call the northern hemisphere,'Up over?')
..But I digress.
I can't wait to pass this on,in any case. :)

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Called me Mum Mother's Day. In her 70s now. The same woman who slapped the beejesus out of me when I was 7 for using the "N" word in front of our black house keeper (Ma didn't know my brother had said it meant dinosaur and that's the context with which I used it) and the woman who voted for Kennedy when did went Nixon, Humphrey over Nixon--has aged into a tea party right of right wing nut. Gotta love them still.

 
At 2:44 AM , Blogger Shrinky said...

I so loved that poem, Sling, it brought a huge smile to my face! All your pics are fab, but I particularly liked the angle you took that red hot poker shot at - lovely! And, yeah, this little colour-coordinated sweetie at the end, is too cute for words..!

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Sling....you are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

Was thinking about you and some of your wonderful photos.....I put out a hummingbird feeder today....I know.... makes them lazy, but I love watching the little evil creatures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home