Tuesday, May 04, 2010

BUSTED!..by the Facebook police.

You know how great monolithic bastions of social propriety get their silks all knotted up whenever you defy their draconian rules by going about the business of being yourself ?..
It's like that.

Okay,..it's not really like that.
Facebook has rules in place for good reason.
Harassment,intimidation,and hate speech have no place in civilized discourse,no matter what venue that discourse takes shape.

And so,for that very reason,I was given the bum's rush by Facebook for meeting hatred with hatred over at 'One Million Strong against the Arizona Immigration Law SB1070'..
(Which now has over 1 1/4 MILLION members in little over a week,..btw).

At first I thought,'Hell..I've been kicked outta better places than this!'
Then I thought,'Dammit..I really like this place!'
When I'm not embroiled in the constant battle for truth,justice,and the American way at some socio-political fan page,I've really come to enjoy the day to day updates and musings of all my Facebook buddies.

And THEN I thought,'FUCK!..Now all my friends are gonna get that 'account disabled' message,and think that I broke up with them!'

They'll delete my blog from their Blackberrys,tear up the photos of us marlin fishing off the coast of Kansas,..and clean out our joint bank accounts!!

Fortunately,I was able to establish a 'new' persona on Facebook,utilizing a dormant email account I keep handy for just such an occasion.
Yeah,..I so saw this coming one day.
Even as we speak,my beloved friendships are being re-established,and some measure of balance has been restored.

Having successfully set those wheels in motion,I must now away to engage all those Neanderthalian haters spouting their ignorance over at 'Against SB1070'.
..There's a few things I wanna tell 'em.

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 2:42 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

I joined that group too..and one of my friends from high school asked WHY? hehehe..I ignored her..I cant preach to the ignorant people without being a hateful bitch.

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um.. about that joint bank account... maybe you shouldn't be checking the balance for the next couple weeks or so. No reason.

 
At 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah...I knew I really hit rock bottom when I found out my own Dad didn't even wanna be my friend anymore. Didn't our fishing trips mean anything to you?

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Charlene said...

I joined that group and about 90% of my FBF did too. My sister joined a group similarly named but FOR the law.

I hope she de-friends me. SMILE

 
At 5:28 PM , Blogger mi said...

woah! facebook did that?!?
i'm glad i only join the innocuous groups like "robert carlyle is strangely sexy in an ugly way" and "i hate it when you're with mc hammer and he doesn't let you touch anything".

i wonder if my other friends who joined that group got their accounts yanked.

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger Mom said...

That is just not right!

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

I have a Facebook account but do nothing at all with it so I have no idea what you're talking about. And yet, I can't resist commenting anyway. Isn't that a little like Facebook? :)

(Can you elaborate just a weeeee bit, though? Enough to explain HOW they could kick you off?)

 
At 7:51 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Arguments on some Facebook sites can get pretty heated.
Name calling,racial slurs,profanity..Like that.
I told a guy that was repeatedly harassing the Latinas that he had tiny testicles from shooting up illegal steroids.
I'm assuming he reported me to Facebook(there's a button for that)for targeting him as an individual..Ironic,I know.
In any case Facebook reviewed the complaint,and decided to disable my account,due to violation of their terms of service.

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Being I am one of 6 liberals in a white toast town.. I know how it can get...like the tea party thing... I went to a REAL tea party and felt the need to explain myself on facebook...

Anyway ... we know where to find you and dont let the dumb asses bring you down (I hope Facebook didnt see that!)

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my hero..i love having a friend that got tossed off of facebook..can i have your autograph?

 
At 6:42 AM , Blogger Anne said...

thank goodness for extra email accounts.

(I created one so I could create a fake FB person so I could 'spy' on the daughter.)

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i might sign up for facebook just to kicked out. since i no longer get kicked out of bars i need something else to get kicked out of.

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

That's a relief. I thought you de-friended me. Never heard of someone getting kicked off FB. Would like to see the comment that warranted a boot.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

I join no FB groups just on principal, but how crazy that you got de-facebooked.

 
At 8:53 AM , Blogger Laurent said...

This is strange indeed, I read your comments and found really nothing offensive in them at all. I blame this nonsense about Political Correctness B.S. and overly sensitive people who can't see the forest for the trees.

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Ha ha! I love you, dude. I just have to say that. You say what's on your mind, and I love that in a person. :) :)

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Sling said...

It really took a lot more than just a single comment to get me booted..
He said..I said.
He shouted..I shouted.
He played the race card..I reached down his throat and pulled his lungs out.
I won the argument,and lost the account.
Oh well.

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

"He said..I said.
He shouted..I shouted.
He played the race card..I reached down his throat and pulled his lungs out."

Why am I laughing at this - first laugh of the day...thanks sling

 
At 5:59 AM , Blogger Shrinky said...

Ha! You can't keep a good guy down, eh? Don't ever lose that twinkle in your eye, or the fire burning in your belly, it's what makes us love you!

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

As usual I was just confused as you read in my message....doesn't take much. You know, the best way I can deal with Arizona is to NEVER go there again and to tell my children & friends to stay away too.

 
At 6:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Rosemary] The only problem with avoiding Arizona or any other state is that all states are connected... Like the law abolishing the death penalty, it's only a matter of time until SB1070 makes it to legislature near you. Don't want to be caught without your papers.

Kudos Sling! FB is pissing many people off in recent days. I applaud your resiliency.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home