Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Rainbows and Unicorns..


...I'm barely 3 feet in the door to the shop yesterday,when Nicky perks up.(he hates being called "Nicky" so,quite naturally,it's the only thing I ever call him).

"Dude!..Dan tried to tell everyone what to do while you were gone but Mrs. K...."
I don't quite hear the rest 'cause I continued past him, walking into the shop.
I'm not being rude..Really.
Nicky talks non-stop,so he's grown accustomed to people going on about their business while he prattles on about the government,his mother,how the Maori's would have defeated Julius Caesar at Trafalgar if only they'd had more artillery,..shit like that...Nicky has lots to say.

WHOA!...23,24,...25 cabinets left undone!..And you know what?..

That's okay.
I'm mellow,and rested,and ready to jump in with both feet.Not to mention that clearly,they need me.

"Where's Sling?"..Mr. K comes booming in.
"Hey boss!..How ya doin' this morning?"
"Did you get any hugs yet?",he asks me,with that big ol' grin of his.
"Hell no!"
I swear to god the old man wraps his arms around me and just about squeezes the breath outta me.
"We missed you son!"...
"Yeah,yeah,..I missed you guys too".
"Stop by the office later,we have a check for you for 1 day"..

Now,as near as I can figure,they don't owe me a damm thing.

I got my vacation pay in full before I left,and I tell him as much.
Turns out,it was a "We know we left you up to yer ass in cabinets,and we appreciate how hard you work", kinda bonus..
Have I mentioned how much I love this job?..

It's Tuesday,and life continues to be good in Sling's Domain.

19 Comments:

At 6:34 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Well, you have been busy....new look on the blog (did you do it because of that a------- critique?)You were brave to submit your blog. Happy about the job...ahem where's Frank btw??? See....knew they would miss you!!

 
At 7:30 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosie-see...now I'm curious.
The only change I made was to align my type to the left,rather than use "justified" type.
It looks exactly the same to me on my browser,but I was wondering if it changed for my readers...Pray tell,how is it different?

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

Cool beans on the bonus, man. I am sure you deserve it. That is awesome to return from vacation to a bonus. My oldest son of three can't stop the chatter.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Sling said...

danielle-You kinda have to know the people I work for.I don't love the job because I got a few extra bucks...I love the job because Mr. and Mrs. K THINK about their employees...bless 'em.

 
At 8:58 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Sling I use a laptop so everything is Ken and Barbie size...but all of those lines everywhere are gone and the post fits in the space and doesn't look all bunched up. I thought it was my sleezy computer.

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you're in the bar, you need to come back to the office. Me and Lorraine have a little something for you and all your hard work.

It's your "Employee of the Month" plaque. Even though you're the only employee. And there's no money or anything, because we spent that on booze.

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosie- so,..that's a good thing right?
Sounds like it was my text alignment.
Once again,I don't think those guys were a-holes.I took the aesthetic criticisms,and tried to modify my blog to be more pleasing to the viewer.
As far as my writing style goes..Pffttt! ;)

JP-Dude!...I'm underwhelmed! :)

 
At 4:29 AM , Blogger HORIZON said...

Great to have you home SLING. I'm running round like a mad thing today but will stop by again this evening to catch up. Isn't it great to feel appreciated!! Just looking at the pics below- think you must have had a great time of it. Those are some massive trees!
Bests

 
At 6:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's what I love about private enterprise! I work in the public sector, so no such thing as impromptu bonuses, or "we know you work your fanny off, so here ya go!" checks. No raises that aren't pre-planned, no bonuses that aren't documented to the nth degree and available equally to all. I kind of miss all the cool things about private enterprise. Congrats! And sorry about all those cabinets waiting for you. Oh, and welcome back! Though I haven't commented much, I've been reading. Just busy.

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger the rube said...

nicky's right on. the maoris would have put a man on the moon too if they hadn't run out of liquid oxygen.

man, it must be nice to be loved.

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger david santos said...

Hello, Sling!
This work is very good. thank you
have a good day

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

it's good to be king..

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

How good sling, to have a job you obviously love...life is good...

 
At 3:46 AM , Blogger Jay said...

Wow, where can I get some profitable skillz like that?

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger CS said...

What a warm start for your first day back!

 
At 7:01 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

No wonder you like working for this man.

That just made me smile big Sling. Nice.

 
At 3:02 AM , Blogger Grish said...

hey sweet, can i have a job..?:-)

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Awww...that's so sweet.

And for what it's worth, JP and I a lot of money on that plaque. Hey! Do you realize that if you hit a "g" instead of a "q" you spell 'plague'? Cool! Where was I? Oh! Right! The plaque. It's really nice, genuine fiberboard stained to look like oak and we did the engraving ourselves.

Belinda thought it looked nice.

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Sling said...

lorraine-..is that genuine artificial gold-tone lettering??..(sniff)..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home