Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One way to avoid that pesky junk mail..

You know how people say,'Oh,..it's out in the middle of nowhere'?..
Well I went on an install yesterday that pretty much set the standard for that little truism.

I was kind of excited about going on the trip,because our destination was some 30 miles outside of Reno,Nevada,and I've never been in that little corner of the world before.
It lies about a three hour drive west of O-Town,and takes us past some pretty remarkable scenery.

Sadly,I wasn't able to take many pictures.
I mean,..it wasn't a pleasure trip after all,so there was no pulling over to admire the views,which were spectacular!..trust me on that.

Oh!..As an added bonus,we went over the infamous Donner Pass!
Glorified in story and song,as well as some pretty bizarre recipes.

Anystew..I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Now I gotta tell ya,that the we had no problem finding the house we were looking for.
There it was,clearly visible from the highway,sitting pretty on top of a man-made hill.
We saw it when we turned off the main road,onto the gravel road.
We could still see it ten minutes later,when we turned onto the dirt road.
Yep,there it was big as life,when we turned onto the private road twenty minutes after that!..

The whole time I'm thinkin','These people are into some serious friggin' seclusion!'..
They're all set up for it,what with their water well,and solar array.No doubt satellite TV and Internet will be added before they move in.

Here's a side view of this lovely home...
If you think I'm exaggerating about the whole 'middle of nowhere' thing,take a look at the front yard!..this is the typical view for 360 degrees.
Like I said,I was there to work.
I've posted enough photos of our cabinets to represent what it is we do,but this master bathroom arrangement was new for us.
There are two,six foot 'his and hers' vanities which feature cultured marble sinks.
Between them is a four foot,triangular marble dressing table..
..pretty nice set up.
Sorry I don't really have a lot of pix to share,..sometimes,it's like that.
I did come away wondering about the type of persons that choose to live in this kind of space.
I mean,they had to look out upon this vast,empty plain,and think to themselves,'Hey!..This is where I want to build my house!'..

..Okay.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 6:46 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Maybe that Donner party left a big bruise on the psyches of Nevada folk. Maybe it's not so much that they want to live in a vasty empty plain, but they want to live vastly removed from anyone who might be moved to start nibbling.

I myself can't imagine it, not even a little bit. Neither, though, can I imagine living anywhere near Reno. Unless it's Heavenly. Then why wouldn't you live in California? Somewhere near Sling? That's what I want to know.

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow...it is strangely beautiful, but I can't imagine ever living in a place like that.

 
At 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous view. But you know you can't hide from junk mail OR spam.

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

where's the nearest dr pepper dealer?

 
At 3:14 AM , Blogger Willym said...

Really is the middle of somewhere isn't it? Not sure I'd feel very comfortable in all that space. Have some friends who bought 4 acres in the middle of a Pacific Coast forest on an island. Pretty damned isolated too. Guess my biggest fear as I get is older is: what the hell do you do if you get sick??????

 
At 5:43 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

Dang, and I thought I lived in BFE..

 
At 7:16 AM , Blogger evilganome said...

Back here in the northeast we say, "you can't get there from here". It's beautiful countryside and I can see wanting to keep your neighbors at a distance, but it does seem a bit extreme.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger LostInColor said...

anystew, lol, so funny...hahaha.. That place is the middle of nowhere, nice view tho.

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Mom said...

I'm a city girl. That would be a nice spot for a week-end retreat, but too far away for everyday living. It is beautiful and full of creature comforts I'm sure, but I like my next door neighbors and my corner grocery store.

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

wow, they must really love each other of not know each other very well.

me and you know who need our "vanities" on opposite sides of the house.

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

Can you imagine running to the store for milk? (or beer) It is beautiful tho. In the Old days when I was in the Navy we use to go do bombing runs in land not to far from there. We were based in Fallon. If one of our newbie pilots crashed we would go out there and pick up the parts he left behind. (pilots always ejected) But anyways...we would be out in the middle of no where...looked just like the photo.

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Sling said...

booda babe- Ha!..They should put 'LIVE NEAR SLING!' on the O-Town brochures.

MHP- It's very beautiful in it's own way.It snows in the winter here,so I think would make for some gorgeous views as well.

citizen- I just had this vision of the lone mail truck making the trip just to deliver a Pizza Hut flyer...
Of course,I'm sure they'll have a P.O. box in town.

yellerdawg- Here's what I actually see happening;
The house and property are still under construction.They'll landscape with trees and grass and such,and transform the ragged dirt road out to the house into a nice paved or gravel road.Once that's complete they'll be 15 or 20 minutes from downtown Sparks,Nevada..should be a nice little Oasis!

willym- I thought the same thing about emergency medical treatment.
Turns out,the husband is a doctor,working as a facilitator for organ transplants,(shades of Donner came to mind)..and the wife is a nurse!..so there's that.

Dora- It does give the impression of having taken 40 years to cross the desert. ;)

Evil G.-It's my impression that this whole valley is being developed.Probably ten acre parcels or so.
It probably won't be long before there will be many 'neighbors' about.

Lost- :) ..It really is a great view.

mom- I gotta have a liquor store within crawling distance myself!

billy P.- AHAHA!...There's a shit ton of room in the house to get away from each other..Plus!..I was thinkin' if you wanted to get rid of the kids,you could just tell 'em 'Go play in the front yard,..and be back by Thursday'..

sage- You got to go on bombing runs??..that's sexy. :)

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Jan said...

I've driven by houses like this and I've always wondered who lived there and why. I have to go to the store every two hours for something so it isn't for me.

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Trust me...it is a HUGE adjustment living in the sticks...or BFEgypt as doralong said. We are not quite that isolated...and the folks on our stretch of the road paid to have it paved.....you know city transplants. Beautiful cabinets....i like that dark wood.

 
At 2:58 PM , Blogger Sling said...

jan- I'm with you kid.
I like the flavor of our little town,and need civilization close at hand.

Rosie- i'm sure after all the heavy construction traffic stops,they'll fix the roads up nicely.
There's a small dozer on the property now that's up to the task.

The cabinets are made from Oak,and stained with Sherwin Williams
'Mission Oak' stain.
Not a very user friendly stain..very thick,but the results a beautiful!

 
At 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice cab's Sling. Nice place out there in tim-buck-too. I could do it easily...you should see the boondocks up here. Just near the same bubba. Nice and quiet and peaceful....ahhhh. Lots of driving to stock up viddles and all, but, one trip can be done just fine.

Mighty fine work son.

 
At 6:46 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm with Mom.

And you crack me up.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Sling said...

CS- Thanks doll!..
I wasn't being critical of the lifestyle choice you know..just curious. ;)

Rainey- ..then my work here is done. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home