Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last day of Summer...

Yesterday,being the last day of Summer and all,the partner and I decided to mark the occasion by planting two Oak trees in the common area of one of our complexes.
Purchase order in hand,we lickity-split on over to 'Bob's Horticultural Pavilion and Topless Bowling Alley' to hand select these healthy specimens!


By the way,..the term 'common area' is Housing Authority jargon for 'vacant lot'..

No,..The Partner isn't doing all the work...Trust me.


They may not look like much now,but they will no doubt offer a pleasant respite from the Summer sun for generations of O-Townians to come.


After all those Oak cabinets I built,I'm especially pleased to be able to put back a little something in return.

Now,I told you that story,..so I could tell you this one.

My six-month contract with the Housing Authority,through the auspices of 'Experience works',officially ends on the 30th of this month.
..Yep,..Wednesday next.
At that time,the rules and reg's state that I must say 'adios' to this job,and re-enter the program in some other capacity as a 'trainee'.
Well,..this never made any sense to me.
I mean,you spend half a year getting to know your job,and making friends and such,and then you're just supposed to unceremoniously pull up stakes!
..'Twas ever thus.

Turns out,there is a brand spankin' new supervisor of the program,so I decided to take advantage of the amorphous nature of the present bureaucracy,and throw a wrench into the system.
This very morning,I made an unannounced and in-person call on Stacy,the new
honcho,with the intention of making my case for extending my contract with Housing for another six months.
I've been preparing my argument for a couple of weeks now.

1) I know every nook and cranny of our complexes,..not to mention having developed a good working relationship with my fellow employees,as well as the tenants.

2) As a groundskeeper,a whole different set of tasks present themselves during the Fall and Winter,than those in Spring and Summer,..so it would serve to round out my overall skills..
This is the point of the program,after all!

3) What the hell kinda sense does it make to jerk me out of the system,only to drop some other schmuck in there that needs to be indoctrinated from scratch?
..Seems awfully inefficient to me.

4) The Partner,and his/our supervisor both asked me to make my most earnest pitch for continued employment!
Frankly,..they love me there.

Armed with this strategy,(which included well formed counters to any anticipated objections..I didn't attend all those sales training sessions back in the 80's for naught),and with all my ducks securely in a row,..I went to Stacy's office,and introduced myself.

Stacy: 'Nice to meet you,..What can I do for you?'

Sling: 'Well,..my six months at Housing ends next Wednesday and..'

Stacy: 'Oh!..How have you liked working there?'

Sling: 'I like it very much!..In fact,I came here to discuss the possibility of me extending my contract for another six months because..'

Stacy: 'Sure!..That'll be great!'..

Sling: '?!?!?!?...umm,..k'.

Stacy: 'Just continue showing up for work,and I'll put all the paperwork through'.

Sling: ........

Stacy: '..Uhh..You can go now'..

I LOVE it when a plan comes together!

22 Comments:

At 1:01 PM , Blogger Jan said...

Fantastic! Way to present your case.

O, wait. You didn't.

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Laurent said...

Congratulations! This is great news.

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Oh yayayayayayay congrats!

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- Hey..It's not my fault she screwed up my brilliant argument by being agreeable!
Women..I tell ya.

Laurent- Thanks buddy!

Sage- Ratz!..I shoulda asked for a raise.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

you smooth talking sonsabitch you.

 
At 3:30 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Every once in awhile somebody in management has common sense too.

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Nice work! Mayeb you can use the argumen in six months?

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellerdawg- ..Don't forget 'Charming!'..

Thinker- Hence,my astonishment.
I thought I recovered quite nicely though.

Secret Agent Woman- I'm already working on my retirement speech.

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

someone told me that a few women have been known to change their minds.

better keep a bit of that charm at the ready.

 
At 5:41 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- No problem..I made her 'Cross my heart,and hope to die'..So I'm legally covered.

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Sweeeet! It looks like you planted ALL the right stuff today!!

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Booooda Babe!- We have a winner!
..A prayer of faith,and all that.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

How good is that...so pleased for you. Any noise from the cabinet maker - over here the economy is recovering for some strange reason...hopefully the same will happen in the US as well.

Its nice to see a tree you have planted in a few years... I drive past where our old home was in town and on the corner is the hugest tree called Tibouchina - which was just a twig when i planted it in 1986 - its much larger than it was supposed to grow and when I drive past i get the nicest feeling as if it is all still happening...

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Well done! Both you and Stacy.

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Well, that just totally ROCKS!! *smiles* Congrats! :)

 
At 1:44 PM , Blogger Grish said...

I don't get the 6 month contract either..

Now can you call my boss...:P

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

I'm thinkin you should be the next Stacy.

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Of course they love you dear, who in their right mind wouldn't?

 
At 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poobutt loves to see good things happen to good people. Love you Dad congrats on your extension.

 
At 4:07 PM , Anonymous the gardeners cottage said...

Hilarious!

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Middle Child- Oaks can live for centuries you know..I like the idea of paying it forward. :)

Mom- I heard through the grapevine that Stacy was going to shake up the status quo..She did good!

Miss HP- :)

Rosie- I actually have my eye on that spot..We'll see.

Doralong- I have an ex-wife that would argue that point and,..wait..You said 'right mind'..

Poopbutt- Excellent sentiment!..I see your Mama raised you right.

The Gardener's Cottage- Glad you got a grin out of it!..I know how much you love Oak trees. :)

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

you sweet talking charming sonsabitch you...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home