Saturday, October 17, 2009

More Cockle Warming stuff..

Some of you may recall the the announcement I made last August,of the sad passing of Mom-O's sister,Christine.
Numbered among the friends and family Chris left behind,was her beloved little Chihuahua,Roscoe.

It's sometimes the nature of things when someone passes,priorities being what they are,that the decease's pet tends to get a little lost in the shuffle.
Often,the only sensible thing to do is to transfer the animal to a local shelter,in the sincere hope that it finds a loving home.
Such was the eventual circumstance of Roscoe's dispensation.

Fast forward two months...

Mom-O is waiting in her doctor's office for a perfectly routine appointment,and picking up a copy of the O-Town Gazette she is startled to see,prominently featured on the front page,...
..ROSCOE!


Roscoe's new owner,Mr. B,is a Veteran of the Vietnam war who recently suffered a debilitating stroke.
Forced into having to essentially re-learn the most basic skills,(like walking and talking),..Mr. B. began to sink into a rather profound depression.
After a time,concerned friends convinced him that perhaps a pet would help brighten his spirits.

Mr. B. had no more than walked into the shelter when he and Roscoe spotted each other,and the bonds of friendship were permanently sealed.

..'When Lorraine Green,executive director of the SPCA,put Roscoe in B's lap,a smile broke across his face,and he kept laughing when he looked at the dog..When asked why he picked Roscoe from all the other dogs,he smiled and pointed to the small Chihuahua,..'Right there!', B said,'That's him!'..

I can't help but think,for those of us who dearly miss Christine,as well as for Roscoe and Mr.B,..the healing process can rightfully begin.

Labels:

20 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww....tears and chills of joy! and chills because they are not going away.
wait, I was just thinking. If you call me anonopoop, can I call you poopsling?
xoxo Dad, love you!

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Anonypoop- I'm glad you were touched baby!
..and NO!..You may certainly NOT call me 'PoopSling!'..
Love you,
DaD ;)

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger Jan said...

It's no secret that I am a sucker for a happy dog story. It seems there must be a force in the universe that matches dogs and humans who need each other.

 
At 2:50 PM , Blogger Willym said...

you like making me cry don't you? Thanks that's wonderful.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger Mom said...

What a happy story. You made me smile.

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That is so awesome! :)

Thank you for sharing--my cockles are sufficiently warmed. *smiles*

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Wheeeee! It was just WAITING to happen, wasn't it?!? I can't imagine anyone TRYING to thwart it, but they just can NOT do it.

This is like the pet version of Feed the People.

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- It does seem to be sort of tailor made,doesn't it.
I had considered taking Roscoe myself at the time,but we already have two dogs,three cats,and two rats.
..Now I'm more than happy I didn't!
Feel free to relay this to your readers if you wish.

Willym- Your welcome my friend!
I confess,I enjoy a good happy cry myself from time to time.

Mom- This has brought smiles all around here as well mom.

Miss HP- My pleasure!..
Now I'll need to get back to my more cynical self. ;)

Booda Babe- It certainly WAS waiting to happen.
I left out part of the story..
Mom-O actually found the paper on the floor of the Dr's. office,where it had been neglected.
She went to the O-Town Gazette to try and get more copies,assuming it was the current edition...Long story short,..it had been published over a week before,and had lain unattended just waiting for her to find.
..I love that part. :)

 
At 6:19 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

a great story,i can't imagine life without a dog.

i won't even toss in a comment about mr b now having 2 roscoes.

 
At 9:49 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

this is where a "like" button would be good on blogger. Awsome.

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger Rainey said...

Love. This.

 
At 6:22 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

How awesome. It's so wonderful when things work out.

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh my that is the best kind of news.
yeah, for roscoe...
you will be the first to know(after babs) that I have a new cat..will be delivered today by my granddaughter's boyfriend..he's psycho...just my kind of cat.

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- I miss not having a dog of my own,but there are plenty enough critters here to fill the gap.

Mouse- :)

Dropsy&Puddle- Hi kid!..Glad you liked it. :)

Thinker- It is wonderful..and in my philosophy,something I've come to expect.

Yellerdawg- YAY!..Can't wait to hear tales of psycho-cat!

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

That is a wonderful, heart warming story. All of our pets have been rescued dogs/cats. They are the best, most appreciative, loving creatures on the face of the earth....YAY for Roscoe and Mr. B

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

What a wonderful story....you made me squeel!

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

Add me to the list of having her cockles warmed.

What a touching outcome.

Although, before I scrolled to the photo and following part I did for a split second think…He sent that dog to JackieSue!!

[And then I read her comment…ut oh psycho puss and JS…match made in heaven huh ;)]


HeeHee @ "PoopSling"...least it wasn't "SlingPoop". TeeHe.

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Awww, that's very sweet.

 
At 5:33 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Now try and tell me that there is no plan in the universe and that its all just chaos and chance!

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Sling, that was such a touching story I have tears in my eyes. I love animals and all of them deserve to find happiness just like us humans. Roscoe and Mr.B will be bonded forever.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home