Thursday, October 29, 2009

Relax..I've done all the work for you.

What with All Hallow's Eve nearly upon us,I've been scouring the interweaves in search of,..yep,..Christmas music!

You know how you really love a particular song,but you don't know the title and all you have to work with is the lyrics of the refrain,so you type those into 'Search' a hundred and seventeen times over the last couple of years and all you come up with is great quantities of songs that just aren't the one you're looking for,and then one day you're doing something totally unrelated to your search and a commercial comes on the TV with that very tune and you quick-like-a-fox rewind the TiVo and there is the actual title,so now you can type in six little words and lo-and-behold! up pops every variation of that beloved hymn known to humanity,and now you have to spend three days sifting through all those interpretations looking for the definitive version?
...It's like that.

In all fairness,I just don't think this music can be performed badly.
I listened to every thing from Junior High Christmas pageants,to soaring flocks of pristine nuns against the solemn timbre of ginormous pipe organs,and they were,each and every one,inspirational on some level.

In the end,I chanced upon Mr. Zacharron's performance of a Mike Marshall arrangement..
..Guess which one is stuck in my head.



'Angels we have heard on high'

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 5:07 AM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Wow, that's really beautiful. I tried looking up botht heose names on the borders website with no luck - any idea if that music is available on CD?

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Secret Agent Woman- I discovered both these guys on YouTube,and I really don't know if they play professionally.
The best I could do was to provide links in an effort to give them their props.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i'm totally into dylan's xmas album right now.

nothing like a cynical old christ killer to put me in the mood.

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- That's the spirit!

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

Yay christmas music!...really...too soon? never too soon I guess..I whistle xmas tunes all year round..

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger Laurent said...

The weather was cool today in Rome at 20C or 70F, and the sun is pale now, so this music tells me that Xmas is not so far away, another year gone by.
We are just looking at Madrid for New Year's and Xmas in Rome. Thanks

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

absolutely beautiful..I always thought they were singing angels are high..

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

I think I’ll have to look around for some HillBillie Chrissy music…I love hearing banjoes.

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Any day, any time, any season, that's when Christmas music's good by me. Wheeee! Although it's not HALF as good as it would be if we were wailing along. Yah, clearly, we'd have to make up a few lyrics on this one, but if you sing loud enough, no one can tell the difference.

(You should know and probably be happy about it that I just erased a whole paragraph of Christmas songs we could wailing along to suggestions. Sigh.)

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

Thanx Sling.. lv u!...than you for the joy

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I love christmas music!

 
At 6:24 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Puts me in the mood for wrapping Christmas presents and sipping on egg nog.

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Gorgeous. This was just beautiful.

I do love the music of the season, and as for the religiosity of all these tunes, well, it's apparently the one thing in my life that is still Jesusified. The Bohemian, too - that girl wold listen to Christmas music all year 'round. She's brushing up on her xmas piano to be ready. I always like singing carols with her when she's home.

 
At 4:09 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I thought Iwanski dragged out the Christmas music early!--but you even beat him! :)

I'm sure he'll have it out within the next couple of weeks, though. :)

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

This is the first carol I ever learned as a choir piece...where we had to practice sustained breaths and where to pull in a quick new one when no one else was so it all sounded like one seamless "gloria".

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger Sling said...

I like that,sans lyrics,we can all get a Christmas sense of the music.
This is music to ride straight to Heaven on.
Plus!..I learned from Rainey how the F*** choirs can sustain the refrain,(even THAT rhymes!),..Glo-oh-ooh-oh-oh-oh-RIA!..
..I love that stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home