Tuesday, November 03, 2009


While NatGeo will only accept one submission per month for their 'Your Shot' campaign,they do provide a 'Gallery' where you can upload as many photos as you wish.
As they are uploaded to the site,they appear HERE,and scroll away as fast as submissions come in.
A visit to the site will give you an idea of the stunning abilities of the amateur photographers roaming around out there,and why it's clear I'll need to seriously up my game!
While they are there,(about 30 minutes),people visiting the site can rate the pics..Naturally,not every picture garners a rating,and you can't rate your own photos.
Ratings range from 0-5 stars.
..I've uploaded 22 into my gallery,and these seem to be the viewer favorites so far.
..Click to embiggen.

5 *****'s..
I took this on the Feather River during an unusually tranquil moment in the Spring runoff .



4****'s..
This is a personal favorite..I like the 'Monet' thing goin' on.
The Partner is dismayed at the condition of his beloved above ground swimming pool,what with Fall dumping it's load without mercy..I think it's all a matter of perspective.


4****'s..
I hate this picture!..But,several folks took the time to weigh in.
I am looking forward to those sweet-sweet California oranges ripening
in a few weeks..


4****'s..
..Too much sepia.
This is an exterior shot of the 19th century Chinese Temple,right here in O-Town.


4****'s..
'Kilroy was here!'..Go figure.


The ratings have no influence on which photos the NatGeo editors pick for inclusion in 'The Daily Dozen',or which will eventually make it to publication,but I'm finding the input useful in deciding which ones I might submit in the coming months..


Labels:

14 Comments:

At 1:11 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i cant wait to go vote for you..i like the sepia colored one.

 
At 1:38 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellerdawg- Thanks darlin'!..
It's kinda hard to explain,but I'll try.
When I upload a pic into my personal gallery,it automatilly comes up in the link I gave in my post as well...As other people upload photos,my picture is 'bumped' aside,until it finally leaves the site after about half an hour or so.
You see,you only have a little time for people to see your picture,and then click on it,..which takes them to your gallery,..where they can rate it along with your other photos.
These viewer ratings have absolutely NO impact on which ones the editors choose,so it's not like a contest thing.
It does,however,give me some idea of what impartial photographers think about my stuff...only about a third of my pics have recieved any rating at all..
I know you love me,and I love you right back! :)

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Jan said...

Gee, I feel like I just walked into a bedroom without knocking.

I really like the oranges pic. Probably not what you had in mind when you took it, but interesting objects and effects.

 
At 3:20 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

All very nice photographs. It really takes a good eye to see a good photo when you happen across it doesn't it. You have a very good eye.

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Sling, I love all of these pictures! :)

You really do have an eye for photography--nice job!!

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- I did choose it,from several in sequence, for the effect,but it really hurts my eyes.

Thinker- Thank you kid!
If I have an eye,it's a product of playing with telescopes,and microscopes my whole life.
Digital photography has done a lot to kinda level(but not really)the playing field.

Miss HP- You get to look at Iwanski's brilliant work all the time,so I consider your comment high praise indeed. :)

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

that's a cool site. i bookmarked and will soon return to vote for you.

i like your photo of the headlight.

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Great shots. I can't even decide which is my favorite.

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- I only just this minute uploaded a new pic,under my real name.
The link to my gallery will be gone in 29..28..27..
..That was taken from the parking lot of my old cabinet shop,of the junkyard next door.
I like it too.

Secret Agent Woman- 'I can't even decide which is my favorite'..That reminds me of my younger days,when I was bar-hopping.
..Trying to decide which one was the prettiest, ;)

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

I bet if you put naked ladies in the nature shots..you will win!...Well I would vote for you.
THe pictures are amazing....You have quite the eye.

 
At 11:25 PM , Blogger Willym said...

Some great photos there... will bookmark so I can keep updated with what you're doing.

Love the oranges and old headlamp ones.

 
At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No such thing as too much sepia; that's my favorite one. Although it was a bit like trying to pick my favorite kind of pizza. I'd eat them all.

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Laurent said...

You are very good photographer, very nice photos.

 
At 4:50 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

This is so exciting. The best part is the chance, the incentive, the very real reason to do more. And more. And more. Until you become NG's star. Oh my gosh, I got a buzz just writing that.

Anyway, I'm SO not a fan of that getting bumped down, BUT maybe you could use the blog the way a blog could be used. Like to alert us to when you'll be posting. There's twitter, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home