Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Road Trip Part I...

A lot has changed over the years,as regards traveling via the Greyhound bus.
It used to was,that an extended trip consisted of seemingly endless hours of mind numbing boredom waiting for your particular bus to arrive,combined with the last minute chaos of watching your luggage slammed into the bowels of the beast,while you scrambled to find a seat,..any seat,..that;

a) Provided easy access to the restroom.
2) Wasn't behind that kid that just loves to adjust his seat allllllll the way back,so that your knees are thrust up into your chest for four goddamm hours,..and,
c)..Please..Oh please Lord,..don't let that fat sweaty guy in the 'I'm MORE than a Christian..I'm Apostolic!' T-shirt pick the seat next to me!..OH NO!..He's looking this way!...(put on my best anti-social face)..
CRAP!!.
..'No,..that seat isn't taken,...helpyerself'.

..These days,modern Bus stations are located in charming neighborhoods..


..And provide both full service amenities,..


As well as a refreshing ambiance to soothe the road weary mind...


Okay...Things haven't really changed all that much,..but it's all part of the adventure!
The true world traveler knows to keep his eye on the prize,which in my case was the bar-none,absolute best Christmas ever!
I have upwards of eleventy-seven pictures to go through and edit,so that I can properly document my most wonderful holiday at Darling Daughter's.
...I'm shooting for Thursday.

15 Comments:

At 6:43 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Welcome back, Sling-o! :)

Yeah, I took Greyhound once, and haven't been back. It's not the most joyous experience ever, that's for sure. :) I'm glad you made it back safe and sound.

Also glad you had a good Christmas--looking forward to seeing those pictures! :)

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Miss HP- In truth,when you're all in the same boat,people tend to pitch in and bail water.
I met some very lovely folks,(..I'll watch your bags if you wanna grab a smoke),and had some perfectly fine conversations.
These things we do,make me proud to be a human. ;)

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Welcome home. I look forward to hearing about all of your wonderful adventures.

 
At 9:28 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think I've seen "It Happened One Night" too many times, and I have lovely romantic ideas about bus travel. And that's in spite of real bus travel! Glad you had a good trip and a good holiday!

 
At 3:45 AM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Ha ha! Last time I took a Greyhound bus I had to fend off a stoned guy from some Christian cult who wanted me to take his duffel bag to Atlanat and store it for him (Sure, no problem....) and sat behind a guy who had an open bag with a bullwhip in it. Yikes.

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

any muslims on the bus?

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Mom- It was great!
I have lots of stuff to share.

Elizabeth- Romantic bus travel?
I guess I have heard a little romance goin' on in the back of the bus before. ;)

I ran into a guy at the L.A. bus station once,.dressed like Clint Eastwood in 'For a few dollars more',who told me he was a professional gunfighter..You meet all kinds.

Billy P.- None wearing any muslim t-shirts,but I did meet two guys that had been released from prison only a few hours earlier.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Jan said...

Being claustrophobic and cowardly I would prefer the bus to air. Although i've never taken a bus.

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

I love !! when you go places and come back with documentation!! If you flip through eleventy-seven pictures really, really fast, they look just like a little movie, don't they?

I think it looks very fun. Please consider that I just survived the single worst adventure returning to the US. It wasn't a flight. It was one long series of security check points and shit. Great fellow sufferers, though.

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Oh cant wait for the pictures..someday we have to meet up when you are down here.....whisky will be here

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Sling you are a fine human being...clear to see. I am awaiting the eleventy seven photos of your Christmas...and when was your birthday mentioned a post or so back???

 
At 6:05 AM , Blogger Allan said...

According to Census statistics, 11% of bus travelers never reach their destinations. They simply vanish.

Happy New Year!

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

ahem and cough. It's Thursday. I'm looking for a little photographic essaying on our little Jackson. Am I being too greedy too soon? I am, aren't I. Still. It's Thursday. (Isn't it?)

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- HA!..I had to laugh at the thought of riding the bus being less claustraphobic than an airplane..
Ever been stuck between floors for 4 hours in an elevator with 27 other people?..It's like that.

Booda Babe- Ratz!..Why didn't I just video the whole 5 days,instead of trying to capture snippets?..Where were you when I needed you?

Sage- Oh,we will meet indeed one of these days.
I really want to get down there more often than every 5 years. :)

Middle Child- You didn't get the birthday memo?
Pictures are in the can as we speak,and just need to be put in some semblance of order.

Allan- Dude!..I totally believe that stat!
The singular question on every. bus traveler's mind is,Am I on the right bus?..
Oh sure,there may be two or three going to Bakersfield next,but each one heads off on a different compass point after that.
..I'm damn lucky I didn't end up in Anchorage.

Booooda Babe- Fine then..Just remember,you asked for it!

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

wellcome home sweety..i never minded riding a bus all that much..i'd just have a book and read..missed ya

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home