Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?..


I was a guest of the Colorado Department of Corrections five years ago when terrorists flew two planes into the World Trade Center.
The facility,like all other correctional facilities in the country,went on immediate "lock down".Like the name implies,everyone is confined to their quarters,and no one goes in or out of the building,period.It's an extreme state of security.
Head counts are performed every hour,lockers are emptied and searched for contraband,and a random few are treated to full body cavity searches...O.K...Fair enough I suppose..We had,each and every one of us, proven to be chronic misbehavers at some point in time after all.This was to be expected in the course of our penance.

You know,..when Bush was elected president I figured,"Now here's a guy whose historical legacy might just reach the the lofty heights of Franklin Pierce",who as we all know,brought peace to Kansas.
I'm thinkin' he'll spend his term kissing hands,shaking babies,and sitting quietly in the Oval Office eating tuna fish sandwiches,and sipping Kool-Aid from his official Texas Rangers mug ...No harm..No foul..
Then he would retire to his ranch and raise Chinchillas,or Alpacas,or whatever,..eventually fading into blessed obscurity.


Who knew??..

In the five short years since the tragic events of September 11th,under his leadership,this country has become an Orwellian nightmare.We have become more fearful,less tolerant,and have come to exist in an atmosphere of isolation from the rest of humanity.All in the name of National security.

Well,it doesn't feel secure to me.In fact,it feels an awful lot like lock down.
EDIT:While it's easy for me to rant,it's much more difficult to find the words to express my heartfelt sympathies to the victims,and families of those that lost their lives on that terrible day.I'll leave that,along with my thanks,to my more learned and articulate friends in Bloggertown.



13 Comments:

At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly the best perspective I've read all day. Bravo.

Some day you will have to elaborate more. I've been in the clink myself, you know.

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Sling said...

jP-Thanx buddy.
Circumstances alter cases.Short story,I served 3 years of a 4 year sentence in community corrections for distribution of a controlled substance.I really was smarter then...I really am smarter now..A blessing on your house! ;)

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Allan said...

In sync alright! Nice post.
Hey, I can read you in IE, but not Firefox?

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Sling said...

allan-Well then I expect you to go way out of your way and read me in IE...DUH!
Whatever doesn't kill you,makes you stronger...Peace out bro. :)

 
At 9:07 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

hmmm.. controlled substance aye? i think i may have bought some from ya...ha...im looking at the gratiuitous sex picture....isnt that a fancy word for a mercy fuck????

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellowdog G.-If you were anywhere near the western slope of Colorado in 1999,You can bet yer ass you bought some from me....Thanx fer your support!
Damm!...now I gotta change my gratuitous sex pic....BRB..

 
At 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haftah revert back to IE as well, and I DO!! Just fer you Sling ;)

 
At 10:28 PM , Blogger Cassandra said...

What a mess that macho maniac has done with this country. Don't get me started on that moron!!!

 
At 3:02 AM , Blogger Grish said...

Good perspective, bro....

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I think you did pretty damn well there, dude. Bless your heart.

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I agree thanks sling

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Sling said...

apos-Your chex in the mail!

jane-c'mon...getting you pissed at little Georgie is one of the few pleasures I have. ;)

grish-thanx buddy,the view is MUCH better from here.

lorraine,citymouse-Oh stop..I'm trying to build a rep as a real hard ass here...Thanx kids.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger Allan said...

Hello from Chicago! Can you please make the rain stop?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home