Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Street people..


In every community there are faces that you see walking about pretty much everyday.
You don't know them by name,but after a while you can be sure they are going about their daily rituals in an effort to keep a degree of consistency in their lives.Some,like me,ride their bikes to and from work at the same time each day.Some jog,or walk their dogs..Some are happily homeless,collecting aluminum cans in the small hours of the morning to take to the local recycling center in the hopes of earning enough for a meal,or maybe even a pack of smokes and a forty ouncer.Been there myself for a short time, back in the last century.Things change.

Still,you get to know each other in an informal sort of way,smiling,nodding,or acknowledging each other with a "How ya doin' today?"...."Fine,..just fine"..

I'm sitting at home last night when I heard a knock at the door.My neighbor was having some problems with his laptop,so I told him to bring it by,and I'd help him get it back in shape.

"Come on in!"....
Now,I've seen this guy just about every day,he's clearly harmless,but he's not my neighbor.
"Oh,..uh,.hi,..what's up?"
"I'm sorry to bother you sir,..can I please use your phone?"..
..."Why not?",I think to myself.."Sure",I tell him,handing him the phone.
**beep beep beep,...beep beep,beep beep..**
No sooner had he dialed,that he hands me the phone urgently,"Tell him I'm not here!"...

"Hello?"..."Yeah,...He's not here"...*click*
"Thanks a lot!",..obviously pleased..
"No problem buddy"...and he left..

There is no point whatsoever to this story...

16 Comments:

At 6:09 PM , Blogger Grish said...

Lmao, I was expecting something entirely different. :)

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Sling said...

grish-..So was I.
Just one of them things that have a subtle flavor you can't quite define.

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Maybe he panicked when the person answered...

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Middlechild-He didn't wait for the other person to answer before handing me the phone.
I think it was just important to him that he was "Somewhere else"..

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

are you nuts?..i live in a town where anyone that knocks on my door i am 99% sure i know who it is..but i still don't say come on in..(mainly cause im half nekkid and need to put some drawers on)..but even so...he could have been an ax murderer and you could have been today's head line..doofus...don't do that again...ya hear me?

 
At 8:37 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellowdog G.-Lol..How can I put this?,..
I'm the scariest son-of-a-bitch I know.
Ax murderers can take their chances like everyone else..Love that you worry about me doll. ;)

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Cassandra said...

I like this story. I'm not sure why.
It does make me want to try that someday. Not the homeless thing, but using random people's phone to dial a number and hand them the phone, then ask them to tell them I'm not there. Yep. That goes on my list of things I want to do in my life!

 
At 7:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He wanted to use you for your phone AND your receptionist skills? That's just pushing it.

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Sling,
Ya know your my kind of guy. If I am ever wondering in O town, I hope its your door I wonder to.

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

a) That is completely random and 2) ha! you're a pussycat.

 
At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly he was playing hard to get with somebody. Didn't happen to notice a dog-ear'd copy of "The Rules" poking out of his knapsack did you?

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger HORIZON said...

lol- that was a strange visit Sling. Have you checked to see if your telescope is still there? :)
Enjoy your weekend.
Bests

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Sling said...

babs-I just got a kick out of the guy.He was on a mission.

JP-Desperate times call for desperate measures,..I was glad to help.

citymouse-"You have done this for the least of my brethren"...It's like that.

lorraine- :)..Okay,...Maybe TWO points to the story.

evangeline-Lol,..I didn't see one,but if I can help a brother get over on some chick....

horizon-Still got the 'scope :)..I'm looking forward to the Leonid meteor shower this weekend!..I think you all down under are gonna get a better view.

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Allan said...

how come Grish has a really spiffy Beta Bloog and yours looks just like a regular ole' bloog, except with a giant black bar where the words should go?
Hmmm...wait- months ago, someone hijacked yer first blog, see?...then there was the botched attempt on your life using a spider ( a plan that probably hatched in the same think tank that tried to kill Castro with exploding cigars)...then there's been this bar, which apparently only I can see...oops.
Sorry.Having a "conspiracy moment"...

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Sling said...

allan-SHIT!..I've received a couple o' comments about that,and I can't see it,and I don't know what to do!..
shit,shit,shit!
I'm gonna mess with my template a little and see if I can't make a complete mess of things.

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

arhaaha...now that's bloody funny.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home