Monday, December 17, 2007

The 411..

..the skinny,the scuttlebutt,the info,and what's really goin' on.

This is the very predictable time of year,when business slows down.
The housing market is going down the crapper,people are trading in their dollars for pesos so that they can buy euros,and everyone is squeezing every last drop of simulated copper outta their pennies so they can afford I-Phones and WII's,in the hopes of having a little bit left over to purchase things like gasoline,and maybe some food. <-------(I think I just broke my world's longest run on sentence record!).
I know what you all are thinking.

"Holy crap!..How is this gonna affect Sling?"..
Only just a little...Really.

We had a little pow-wow this morning,and Mr. K laid out the strategy.
We have jobs lined up,but many of them won't be ready to do 'till after the first of the year..It's all about cash flow in a small business like ours,so 2 of the fellas are going to get laid off next week.
Neither of which is me...

Does that sound mean?..It's really not.I've been on the short stick of seniority enough times to understand the situation.
They are recent hires,single guys,and Mr. K has assured them they will be qualifying for unemployment..They seem content with that.
The rest of us are encouraged to use this lull in production to full advantage.

I have no problem taking off early a few days a week,and even the occasional midweek day off until things pick up...It's up to our own discretion at this point,and my needs are few.

Once again I need to sing the praises of the K's.
I've never had an employer that actually sat down with the employees,and gave them a face to face heads up under these circumstances...Let alone try to work out a program that takes everyone into consideration.

So if you spot me lurking around Bloggertown at odd hours,it's a good thing!

It's Monday,..and life is semi-retired in Sling's Domain...

12 Comments:

At 4:23 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Sling, more and more you are proving to be such a decent, nice man.....in spite of what you say about yourself...hell, you make meatloaf, feed birds, love Gizmo, Mr. Lizard and his little lizard....next thing you'll be taking pictures of babies!!!

This is a tough time for our family too....several kids laid off, others in personal trouble and we are getting so damn old and worried about our health and whether we will be able to stay in our home. Reading your blog always makes me feel a bit better.

 
At 6:51 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

O had a really good friend in Florida. Dr Roy Kupsinel, who used to help us medically over the net for about 17 years... sadly he died in September.. he used the term to have "Gratitude Attitude" as you have with your boss. Don and I often chuckled a bit about Roy's turn of phrase... its very U.S., ... we Aussies (especially older ones) are a bit more restrained in our terminology...but he said it with such belief... still makes me smile to recall.

 
At 7:09 PM , Blogger Serena said...

As long as the lull is only temporary, the flexibility will be good for you. And hell, it's only human to be glad you didn't get the short end of the stick.:)

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

i wish i had your boss

 
At 12:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just happy that your needs are few at a time when so many seem to need so much. (:
And by 'so many' I of coarse mean 'me'.

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I wondered why I'd been seeing you around the ol' casa earlier in the day.

Cheers to Mr. K. That man is a saint.

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Lovely season for some extra relaxation time! Good bosses are hard to come by. I appreciate mine as well. Enjoy your time, and hopefully things will swing back after the new year.

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosemary- Well those things are sweet of you to say. :)
I know this time of year is tough for a lot of folks.Money is tight,and the winter weather is physically more demanding.

middle child- I like the saying,"gratitude attitude".It's interesting to me that you see it as typically American,but then,it does sort of sound like a catch phrase for one of our infomercials.."It slices!..It dices!..It has gratitude attitude!!"..lol

serena joy- Things always pick up after winter,when construction moves into full swing.This is normal stuff.

citymouse- I wouldn't trade the K's for anything!

Hat- I just don't have many of the expenses that many people do.No credit cards,no car,so no fuel and insurance costs.you learn to work around these things..I prefer it.

lorraine- I think we kind of get to know each other's routines,so I thought I'd let y'all know what was up so people wouldn't worry..I know how you and Hat are! ;)
Bless the K's!

more cowbell- That's what I'm talkin' about!
It's nice to have a little extra kick-back time. :)

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Mom said...

You seem to live such a life of gratitude. It is good to want and need little and be able to make life easy for others. You sure have a nice boss. Enjoy the season, my friend.

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Excellent! Enjoy your down time sugar, you've earned it! and not that it counts for shit- but karmic goodwill going out to that nice man you work for!! Relax honey, stop by and say hey to your friends- get that foyer laid ;)

 
At 4:31 AM , Blogger Allan said...

That run-on sentence was amazingly concise.Really.
Tell yer unemployed buds to look for me in the breadlines...I'm the bald guy with the Blogger logo tattooed on his scalp.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

can you come to texas and build me a book case and a bookcase/intertainment center...?...just askin'

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home