Monday, December 10, 2007

Comfort Food Recipes for Bachelors..

The Lizzard King and I have a pretty good working arrangement.
He does the cooking,..I do the dishes.Mostly,we barbecue...Lots of beef,and chicken and great greasy sausages around these parts!...Yesterday morning,we awoke to this!..
..Notice the huge gaping hole where our propane tank used to was?..I know,I know..If you've been reading this blog for awhile,you might think that we are getting ripped off every five minutes around this neighborhood,but it's really not like that at all..We have lovely neighbors,and a generally quiet atmosphere 99% of the time...We also have a population of homeless peeps that live down on the river,which is only one block away.This time of year,it's not uncommon to lose your ill-guarded propane tank to someone that is just trying to stay warm on these freezing nights...LK and I decided they are welcome...damm.
Still,and under the circumstances,we decided to actually cook dinner in the kitchen..An activity usually reserved for Sunday breakfast...Last night's fare?

As with any well planned supper,we enjoy having an appetizer..In this case,Ruffles Potato chips,Onion Dip,and cheap Red Wine..Now when I say cheap,I don't mean lousy.This is wine country after all.
We acquired this bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for a buck eighty-nine!..Full bodied,with great legs! ..and the main course?..

***Bachelor Meatloaf***
Ingredients:
3 lbs extra lean hamburger
2 eggs
About a dozen Ritz crackers
A buttload of chopped Red Onion..we love red onion.
8 0z can of Tomato Sauce
Garlic Salt
Chili Powder
black pepper

Cooking Instructions:
Put the burger in a huge bowl.
Add eggs,smashed up Ritz crackers,a couple handfulls of Red Onion,Garlic Salt,Chili Powder and Black Pepper to taste.
Squish all that stuff together for a bit,..But not too much!..Otherwise it will turn out all hard and compacted,and totally unsuitable for leftover meatloaf sandwiches.
In a Pyrex baking dish,shape all this into that shape that meatloaf always comes in,and pour on the tomato Sauce...Cover with aluminum foil.
Cook at 400 degrees for about 55 minutes,or until you're too hungry to wait any longer.
The end result will look something like this!


Okay..This shit was so good,that I even had seconds!..Something I almost never do.
For a side dish,we had gourmet scalloped potatoes!
Ingredients:
Whatever comes in the box
Cooking Instructions:
Whatever it says on the side of aforementioned box.

..and for dessert!..
Cupcakes!...again with the box deal.
Serve with more Cabernet,if Lizzard King didn't already drink it all..bastard..

Labels:

26 Comments:

At 3:42 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Self sufficient men are sooo dead sexy. And dessert too! Pink with sprinkles, major bonus points boys.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Looks delicious, but where oh where is your green vegetable?

 
At 4:29 PM , Blogger Sling said...

doralong- Oh,if you think that's sexy,you should see us doin' laundry!..just sayin'.. ;)

mom- I promise we had creamed corn!..My picture didn't turn out well enough to post.

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Oh honey- guys that fluff and fold are totally hot!

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm going to shut down my food blog now. I can't compete.

Sorry about the propane tank. Suckage.

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Sling said...

doralong- I'll pass on some sage advice a very wise woman once gave to me..You need to get out more.. ;)

lorraine- I was afraid this would happen..This is why I've never posted my,"Bachelor cinnamon toast and Tang" breakfast recipe...I didn't wanna break your heart.

 
At 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally watch a Sling cooking show. "Take whatever is in the box out of the box, do whatever the box says to do. Here's what it should look like."

I'll make some calls.

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Foofa said...

Sorry about your tank. Your box meal sounds pretty decent. Nice work.

 
At 11:32 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

WHY do men pretend women are so hard to understand when we're very VERY clear about it. Clean up and cook and we'll be quantum times more pleased than we are when, oh, you don't. Pleased. That's today's euphemism.

I'm glad you gave away your propane to people who really needed it.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Nunnie's Attic said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear about the gas tank. But you handled it admirably!

As for dinner, sounds yummy. Looks yummy. But 3 POUNDS of meat. That's a lot.

And I got a full body and great legs too!

Love,
Julie

 
At 2:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

French Toast and Tang breakfast?!
(begin dream sequence)

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

you guys are fun. i'm coming over to hang out.

 
At 2:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's right that Monica should be here. Between the two of you, I think you've managed to have everything you've ever left outside stolen from you. You're like...the opposite of a gang.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

nice grub.

the lizzard king sounds like a keeper. best keep him happy.

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger Sling said...

JP- Wondermous!..If I get the gig,you can be the producer!

natalie-Thanks!..It was good,and the leftovers are making tasty sandwiches.

booda baby- I understand perfectly what women want..Tupperware!..right?

julie- I was wondering if anyone would notice the huge amount of ground beef involved.
I'm here to tell you that we usually have enough leftovers to feed an army.
It's not something I'm accustomed to,but LK's family seems to be in that habit.

Earth to Hat-..step away from the French toast!

monica- We do have our moments..Hey! you could come over and help us come up with new Cupboard recipes!..Right now we have marshmallows,egg noodles,and bacon bits.

Hat-"You're like...the opposite of a gang."..Sunshine,..I've been laughing about that for the last hour!..God hep' me,..it's true.

billy pilgrim- He's my best buddy..so I see it as my job to irritate the shit outta him.

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Your meatloaf looks mighty good. Mmmm, dogey, pass a plate.

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Sling said...

kimberly ann- Oh,it's better than good..It's hearty!..
Here's a slice,..Try the potatoes,..A wee dram o' Cabernet?..

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Sling, that is the biggest damn meatloaf I have ever seen....you either made enough for 37 people or will have left overs until 2009

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger Allan said...

Nice food- electric stoves are a pain, yours looks like mine, except clean...sorry to hear about the passing of the gas.
If it makes you feel better, you inspired me to write a 'food' post.
I dropped my camera in tempura batter. It tasted OK but I have no pics.

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Sling said...

rosemary- you have no idea how many leftovers we have in the fridge.
..it's mind boggling!

allan-"passing of the gas"..AHAHAHA!!..but seriuously,I prefer gas stoves too.They just seem to cook better...I'm coming over for some Nikon tempura right now..

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

not bad for a couple of old farts...but as a diabetic I cringe...ya need some veggies in there..brussle sprouts, brocolli, peas...the good stuff...if you are really nice to me..I'll send you my contest winning chili recipe...

 
At 7:51 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellowdog G.-..only half of us are old farts.. We really did have some creamed corn!..I like mixing it in with my potatoes.
The pic turned out lousy due to my fat thumb over the lens,and by the time I checked it,the creamed corn was history..I also forgot to take a pic of of the dinner plate presentation..
..now where's my chili recipe?

 
At 12:25 AM , Blogger more cowbell said...

So where are all the guys like you two, out here in WA? I'm surprised the womenfolk aren't beating down the doors. This was great! Loved your potato recipe, and the meatloaf actually made me nostalgic for meatloaf. And did you say wine for a buck eighty-nine?! You boys know how to do it up right.

I guess you can't use charcoals in those newfangled type BBQers, can you?

 
At 3:26 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

My God but that looks nice... Tea was sooo basic tonight... and now to see this...sob! Bloody hell imagine losing your gas bottle... why am I laughing? I may be a bit sick but I seem to laugh when I read this sort of stuff but get ghastly serious when it happens to me...

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger Sling said...

more cowbell- By an amazing coincidence,there are women trying to beat down the door even as we speak!..I should probably go let 'em out..AHAHA!...sorry.
No kidding,that $1.89 Vino wasn't too bad.Not as dry as I like,but hey....
We wanna save our charcoal for heating the house...:O

Middle Child- I'm pretty sure you're laughing because it's funny!..Hell,..even LK and I were like."Why didn't they just take the whole BBQ??"..we would have.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Doralong said...

Sugar, I'm not kidding- chicks love a man that can cook and fluff and fold-

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home