Monday, April 14, 2008

Around O-Town

North of O-Town,and clearly visible from practically everywhere,lies the majestic Table Mountain.
We would quite naturally call it a 'Mesa' in Colorado,but the wiley residents of our little hamlet have done the difficult job of translation for us.
I've been here in the North State for three years,and not once have I ventured atop it's lofty heights!..Yeah that was a Colorado kid's version of elitist (very popular word these days) sarcasm,and it ends there.
Because,It's a very lovely place.

I mean,..how often do you get to see an actual covered bridge on a casual Sunday in Spring?
..Actual 'Sunday in Spring covered bridge' trusses!..I have a thing for geometric shapes,and gain some small amount of satisfaction out of saying the word, 'hypotenuse'.
This is as high as you can get on Table Mountain,without a note from Edmund Hillary!
Crap..I promised no more sarcasm...sorry.
This is,in fact,a charming meadow on private property that belongs to a very kind gentleman,who encourages people to stop in and enjoy the vista! (that's 'view' to the uninitiated).

..Looking down on O-Town.
This was taken over a canyon that is a very respectable 300-400 feet deep.
I've tried on many occasions to capture a decent photo of the Turkey Vultures that soar above O-town...You just can't do it.
These magnificent birds,without so much as a single wing beat,will glide in and out of range before you can gather enough wits to raise your camera.

We were just a week or so early for the burst of wildflowers that Table Mountain is noted for,but I did manage to catch some few patches.of blue,..
and gold.

My amateur geologist impression is that Table Mountain is what's left of some long ago volcanic activity.
It's rocky,and porous,and populated with only the hardiest of flora and fauna.

We take our respite where we can.

I hope this post has found you and your's in the best of health and spirits!
As for me,..life is 637 feet above sea level in Sling's domain.

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 9:13 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

holy shit..were those bluebonnets?...can't be...bluebonnets are only in texas...right?..shit..they look like blue bonnets...nah, too much white..can't be blue bonnets..
you should check out the godsarebored.blogspot.
she worships turkey vultures and has tons of pictures of them..
damn, those sure look like blue bonnets..

 
At 9:16 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Those are great shots. So pretty. That is a great covered bridge. The wildflowers are pretty but they made me sneeze. I can smell them through my screen. Oh I need to lay off the mushrooms.

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Mom said...

What a lovely place. It is wonderful to live so close to something so pretty.

 
At 3:23 AM , Blogger Willym said...

What a marvelous place. Thanks for sharing your wonderous corner of the universe with us Sling.

And yes I think those are blue bonnets!

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger LostInColor said...

Beautiful beautiful.
ok so what do you call an occupied lavatory in an airplane??? hypotenuse

 
At 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glorious! (:
That Turkey Buzzard attempt shot is paradisiacal.
And also HAH HAH to lostinco
(wipes tears of laughter)

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That is very beautiful. Can we go there in June?

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

A breath of Spring from Sling! YEA!!! We actually have moving water in the yard, mud, some weeds sprouting and turkey poop. Yup, it's spring.

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

have you ever taken a leak into that 400 hundred foot canyon after drinking more than a few beers?

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellerdawg- I'm not really sure what they are.They do have white centers,and seem to prefer shade.

Sage- I need to find out more about the bridge.When it was built,etc..
Your allergies could be worse.
You could be allergic to mushrooms.

mom- I think everyone lives by some place beautiful.
You just gotta go look.

willym-I make fun of O-Town,but there are many spots where I enjoy the views.
I'll defer to you and yellowdog,and proclaim them bluebonnets!

lostinco- AHAHAHAHA!..
Puts a new spin on the 'mile high club'.. ;)

Hat tastic- Lemme tell ya,that was no easy task taking that pic.
The sun makes it difficult to see the view screen on my camera,them buzzards swoop in and out so fast you can't hardly find them,and there's a microsecond delay between pressing the shutter button,and taking the photo..
Maybe next time I'll just stun it with a big ol' rock,and it will hold still long enough to get a close-up. :O

Rainey- One of the reasons I wanted to go up there,was to scout out fun places to go when you guys come down here. :)
There were several places that we didn't stop that I would like to explore.

rosemary- Ah Spring!..when a youg man's fancy turns to thoughts of turkey poop. ;)

billy P.- Was that you at the bottom of the canyon??..I mean,..no..I never have.

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Serena said...

What a great place! Thanks for the mini-travelogue via some beautiful photos.

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Sling said...

serena joy- My pleasure kid!
Next time I go up there,I'm taking a kite...seriously.

 
At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes a loverly place indeed. And home, your home, in quaint O-town is where you tie your horse, mister. You are an O town kind of guy, living life wonderfully and sharing news from your little postage stamp with the rest of us. Good tidings fellow...we love hearing about your happenings and musings. There are palces I miss too...usually from the past with special people in them, now long gone. And your little Quince (and family)...he is making news for your future. Loverly indeed...rest well dear Sling. Blessings

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger Sling said...

CS- That comment,was nothing less than poetry my friend.

A blessing on your house!

 
At 11:37 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

I was fine and kind of dandy, too, enjoy the shots and the vicarious lazy ascent. And then I hit your tag. Yes, little foothills and half assed mounds of earth just can't compare with mountains. It's not just the vistas and meadows and birds taking a spin. I like the smell. The brisk, pine-y scent.

Today, I want to move to mountains. Are there mountains in Peru? Those'll do, as long as there's internet access. Mountain and internet. That's the combo I'm looking for.

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Sling said...

booda babe- Oh,I'm sure there's a Starbucks in Machu Picchu,where you can can marvel at the stunning views,enjoy a great cuppa,and blog to your heart's content!

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

nope not blue bonnets..blue bonnets love the sunshine..and come out after the rain..but they're pretty anyhow..

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

So beautiful. I miss the mountains not that our Australian mountains are very high. There is something about the quality of the air and the smells... and the feel... there is a special feeling like you can never get down on the flats or on the coast. I live now on river flats near a few miles from the ocean and have grown to love the beauty around me, but I long for the mountains and posts like this just make me consider where I intend ending up... for now, here is where I live... one day...
Thanks

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

i am in great need of a road trip.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home