Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On the Grid..

This whole 'bein' a regular type citizen' thing is getting out of control!

If you've been following this blog for any length of time,you probably know that I've gone to great lengths,since I got out of Corrections,to stay as far off the grid as possible.
Maybe that seems odd,but it's been my experience that once you're in the system,'they' tend to focus an undue amount of attention on your whereabouts,and activities.
I mean,they have all those resources,and way too many toys to play with for my comfort.
Particularly during an administration bent on relegating the Constitution to the 'fiction' section of the Library of Congress.

Well,time passes,as it is wont to do,and my low-profile efforts to put sufficient distance between who I was then,and who I am now seems to have paid off.
I recently had occasion to have a thorough criminal background check done on myself,and it turned up exactly,..nothing!


Zero,..zip,..ain't no such body.

It seems that after nine years of flying pretty much under the radar,my felony conviction has been expunged from not only the State of Colorado's records,but the FBI's criminal database as well...I kid you not!

This was my plan.
Given enough time,systems evolve,people come and go in all those low-level, record keeping type government jobs,and priorities shift to more pressing matters.
Simply put,the end result is that it becomes expedient to flush out the old,to make way for the new...

Consequently,I'm taking baby steps to re-enter into the fray.
Not only am I a brand new registered voter,but yesterday I toddled my happy ass on down to the DMV to get me an actual,State of Cal-i-for-ni-a picture ID!
Yep,..I've been navigating the ins and outs of being alive for the last nine years without specifically being able to identify myself.
It's not as difficult as you might think.
Still,I suppose the ways and means of such a lifestyle might make for an informative pamphlet on the subject.
..maybe later.

In the meantime,I plan on enjoying all the rights and benefits of being an actual person.
Hey!..I might even open up one o' them bank accounts I've heard tell about!

You know,..as soon as I get me some money.

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 1:38 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

well, if that's not the best news I've heard today...clean slate...hell, not many people can say that..I wonder if i did a criminal back ground check on me it would show up anything about me and ole jack?....even thougth it was a not guilty verdict the charge was there...hmm. how do you go about doing a criminal back ground check on myownself?

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellerdawg- I went to social services to apply for CMSP,a government health care plan.They ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony(I told them yes..I don't lie about it),and the lady told me they do the background check to make sure that I'm not a fugitive 'running from the law'.
Well,after about ten minutes she came back and said that there are no records in Colorado,or the FBI of my conviction,and that they must have been expunged.
I figure since I didn't actually go to prison,and have had a clean record all this time,they simply wiped the slate to make room for more notorious scoundrels.
They didn't find my 'not guilty' DUI case either.

 
At 2:20 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Cool you are a whole new dude. That is nice that the internets and the computers weren't used all too much back then. Actually they still aren't used too much by law enforcement. You would think with the technology they would know felons from state to state, but they don't talk to each other. I found that out when I was working with a fugitive from florida, California could careless cuz their databases don't talk. I could see he was a wanted fugitive from Florida on the internet but California couldn't do anything even after I showed them the internet site. Strange way the Police work.

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Sage- Exactly!..The county I was busted in was still using dinosaur computers running Windows '95 long after XP was the standard.
PLUS!..you can pretty much count on overworked public servants to figure out ways to lighten the load on themselves.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Willym said...

Congrats to many it may not sound like a big thing but it damn well is: voter, driver and good citizen!

The work that I'm currently on leave from involved doing background checks including criminal name checks on individuals. Many times people would admit to having a record and nothing would show up then other times a DUI charge from 20 years before would????? Could never figure it out.

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

Well all be and good for you! Clean slate, that must feel good. :)

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

Congratulations! You have certainly done a great job these last nine years!!.and how did the drivers license
picture turn out?

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger Allan said...

Woo! Congratulations on your votingness and citizenification! I know how you feel-took me seven years here.

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger Sling said...

willym- I imagine if my felony had been of a violent or sexual nature,which it was not,the story may be entirely different.

Lost- It does feel very good indeed!..
I don't deny things I've done,but that's not what I'm about any more.

austexgrl- Thanks kid! :)
I should note that I didn't get a driver's liscense,just a state ID card.
I don't have a car,and probably couldn't afford insurance these days,so I don't drive..Yet.
Baby steps!..

allan- I know you know what I'm talkin' about buddy..
It did occur to me that I may have been off the records for awhile,but I didn't decide to test the theory 'till now.

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i think the feds tossed out all their records and just monitor facebook these days.

steer clear of facebook!!

 
At 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really great news. Better than great, Now celebrate your clean slate with a vte for change! Woo hoo!

 
At 9:16 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I was in need of some good news today. Thank you for being my good news.

 
At 6:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your attempts to fly under the radar didn't keep you from having a blog. Life is not good without Sling's domain.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Sometimes good things happen to good people. Congrats on being able to fly above the radar.

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- Ratz!..I used my real last name 'Shot' on my facebook page.
..I won't drop my guard like that again!

citizen- Defeating the evil Lord Bush and his Storm Troopers was the main reason I came out of retirement!..Woo Hoo!

mom- Thank you dear. :)

JP- Thanks buddy!..
The kids in Bloggertown have been a real lifeline for me.

Thinker- Thank you doll! :)

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

wow...nine years....really? Kinda like doing time all over again in a way....or doling the Limbo but with the stick coming up not going down.....whatever.....glad you are finally truly freeeeeee

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger evilganome said...

Congrats, Sling! Picture ID, voting it must all be like getting a whole new lease on life. Here's hoping the employment thing looks up so that you can go for the car and license.

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Rosie- Three of the nine years was in Corrections,but I even kept a low profile there.
I followed the rules,and kept to myself.
I never made personal phone calls,sent/received any mail,or even had a single visitor the entire time.
When I left,they had no idea I had any connections in California.
It was like a game I played to pass the time.

Evil G.- It really does open up at least a couple of new doors that were beginning to rust themselves shut.

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Hallmark may not have a card for this yet, but it sure should be on the list.

Happy Halloween, registered voting and ID toting Sling.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

See, I knew you were a real person.

On another note, how cool is it that you get to be a registered voter for this election? Whoo hoo!

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Sling said...

kimberly ann- Happy Halloween back at ya kid!

Rainey- Oh,I just hadto be part of this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home