Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Page 56..

It seems there is an international conspiracy afoot in Bloggertown!
After some thorough investigation,I've tracked the course of this sinister plot backward from Willym-in-Rome,via Lorraine-O'-Seattle,to its source,..the mysterious Lorene.


..Follows,the sordid details;
Open the book nearest your computer.No fair hunting for something that sounds intellectual and impressive,(like that could happen!),to page 56. Post the 5th sentence,plus one or two thereafter for context.

Well,..I haven't yet deciphered the significance of this 'page 56' phenomenon,but you can bet that it doesn't bode well.
In any case,when I reach into the giant stainless steel vault I keep next to my laptop,I discover my anniversary issue of Life magazine,and turn to page 56...

Well,..no,..I guess a magazine isn't technically a book.
Hang on..

How about page 56 of the official O-Town phone book?
It's got balloons!!..
No?
Fine then..


You people are relentless!..

I keep,for sentimental reasons,the Inaugural Issue of Unbound Press at hand for just such an occasion!


Turning now to page 56:

*'He went into therapy and talked about Carla Antonucci and emotional burnout;cultivated his friendships;stopped dating anybody;got worried about a sudden drop in interest and had his urologist check his testosterone level.
Life puzzled him:he was a success in business,and that puzzled him.His friends claimed to like him,and that puzzled him,too.
He decided that he'd been much more interesting when he was younger,and he valued his friends from his prep school and college days because they'd known him then.
Particularly,he valued Phoebe,and so told her nothing of his problems in their twice yearly telephone conversations'.


Curiously enough,when I turn to page 159 of this amazing anthology,I find a most delightful article,'Will write for food',by one of my all-time favorite authors,..Lorraine Thomas!
Co-incidence?..I think not.

Comes now,the time to pass this mission along,should they decide to accept it,to the unsuspecting Lost in Color,and Random Thinker..

Have a great week kids!

*excerpt from 'Lover by Lover',by David Beaty..

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 9:42 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

That Lorraine gets around. The phone book was a nice touch though.

 
At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow that makes me think of the scene in The Jerk when he finds his name in the new phone book and says, "Things are going to start happening now."

 
At 2:49 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

well my post will not be as clever as yours sling! I need to wait until I get home, at work all I have are techie books; coding crap, and internal stuff I can't post.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

all of my books are near to me..i'd like to do that with the first 5 books i can reach ha..

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Oh my gosh and all that. That was fantastic!! And Rainey's really in it? Fantastic times 2. (I'm tired. I don't think it can get a whole lot better than 'fantastic' can it?)

I wouldn't mind reading the what comes before and after page 56. I particularly like that semi-colonic line about being all puzzled.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

(claps chubby little hands with glee) That was just superfantastic, my friend.

And you make me blush.

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

the book nearest my computer belongs to the lovely mrs myshkin.

i wouldn't touch that book with a 10 foot pole.

 
At 7:59 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

I had no idea that phone book pages were numbered.

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Speck said...

The photo of Liz would have been plenty fine enough. The perfection of womanhood was she back in the day. The portrait speaks volumes. (gazing in awe)

 
At 7:17 AM , Blogger Willym said...

well you beat the rest of us all to hell - all I could do was artsy-fartsy - what you did was originality. And the winner is: Sling!!!!!

What a great post.

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Sage- This is why Lorraine has been appointed Ambassador to Bloggertown!

Citizen- I really wasn't a big fan of Steve's until that movie came out..I laughed my ass off!

Lost- Oh,go ahead and post some top-secret company stuff..We won't tell.

Yellerdawg- You know,random passages from 5 different books would probably make a good story by themselves.

Booda Babe- Yep,Rainey's really in it,PLUS!..she autographed it for me!
Let the jealousy commence!

Rainey- You didn't think I was gonna let this tag pass without putting the spotlight on you did'ja?..silly girl. :)

Billy P.- Maybe you could just post a page or two from her diary instead.

Thinker- Even the phone numbers in O-Town are listed in numerical order..How do you guys do it?

Speck- She was the standard by which beauty was judged wasn't she!
I took that from Life magazines '150 years of photography'..Just about every page has a Pulitzer prize winning photo.

Willym- Thanks buddy!..I'm not sure if it's as much originality,as it is having way too much time on my hands.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I'd say that's a good book to have near you! :)

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger Allan said...

My Superman comic only has 28 pages...hey, two times 28 is 56!
What's up with that?

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

The LIFE shot was fine! As for the excerpt, life puzzles me too, my friend. (And when I say "my friend", I so don't mean that in a John McCain kind of way.)

 
At 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm mysterious...You my friend have MADE MY DAY!!! I want a copy of the article "will write for food" by L. hint...hint...
cheers, Lorene

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home