Friday, June 12, 2009

Second Thursday..

I've written it down someplace,that Thursday is my favorite day at work.
It's the last day of my workweek,and I only have to work two hours in the morning.

The second Thursday of each month is my special favorite,because it's commodities day at Winston Gardens!
I get to help unload,separate,and hand out care packages of your standard staples to all the residents of this seniors-only complex,and it just makes me feel good.

Those that can make it to the clubhouse file past in good order,smiling and chatting as we place a nice variety of grocery items into their waiting shopping bags.

Having done with that,Shirley the manager,Laura the delivery lady,and I bag up goodies to hand deliver to the seventeen or so folks that are too frail or infirm to carry the weight of it on their own.

The heartfelt 'Thank yous!' after I've knocked on the door and announced 'Commodities!' absolutely makes my day.
For two hours a month,..Jesus loves me.

Plus!..As an added bonus!..I get an issue of my own for helping out.




I really have tried refusing to accept it...I mean,..it sorta takes the fine edge off what I'd just like to be a charitable act..But Shirley and Laura will have none of that,and I've learned not to argue with elderly and insistent church lady types.
..It never goes well.

It's like the guy said.
'You can't always get what you want,but if you try sometimes,..you get what you
need'..



'You can't always get what you want'

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

No no! Of COURSE you have to accept it! This is EXACTLY how it's supposed to work out. How it wants to. You can't fiddle with that, can you? Well, I guess you could, but where would the humility be in that? My Sling is not so arrogant.

(uh oh. I went and got all giddy.)

 
At 12:40 AM , Blogger Willym said...

Lovely, simply lovely. And you're right - you don't argue with elderly ladies!

 
At 5:12 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

One should always be gracious dear. Not to mention it's totally a waste of breath to argue with a grandma..

 
At 8:01 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Just nod your head, take your bag and say "thanks Ma'am". By the way I think two hours per month of Jesus loving you is the minimum requirement to get into heaven. You're golden. Consider the warm feeling you get inside for doing something really nice as icing on the salvation cake.

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Jan said...

I helped in a government program several years ago where we gave cheese to senior citizens. Pounds of cheese. They told us very graphically what cheese did to their digestion.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh i love that song and at the beginning of the funeral in 'the big chill' when they started playing it on the organ i laughed so hard i hurt myself..

u'r a good person...one of the things i like about you.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Booda Babe- My initial reaction was that I might be taking something from some one that really needed it,and that wasn't setting well with me.
Theey assured me that wasn't the case,so I got over it. :)

Willym- I learned as a youngster that giving Grandma any lip would quickly result in about 15 uncles and brothers descending on your ass like a plague of locusts!
The smart move is to shut up,and do what you're told.

Doralong- Of course you're right dear. :)

Thinker- No doubt,Jesus will stand in my defense when I come before the Great Arbitrator..It's a rule.

Jan- HA!..I'm laughing because many of the oldtimers give me that,'You must be outta yer mind!' look when I go to hand them Grapefruit Juice. :)

Yellerdawg- It's not my usual fare,but it's in my head at those times.

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

can you carry all that stuff on your bike?

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Billy P.- Yep!..Hang the handles on the plastic bags from your wrists,and balance the load.
I can carry 3 bags on each side fairly easy if I have to.

 
At 2:47 AM , Blogger more cowbell said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "Never argue with the Church Lady" is advice to live by.

 
At 1:10 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Thursday is my favorite workday also, when I take Friday off.

I agree never argue with a church lady..or a lady..for that matter.

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I can't prove this conclusively with documents or anything but I'm pretty sure Jesus loves you more than 2 hours a week because you're basically pretty lovable. And also, the church ladies clearly love you, so there.

Free food!

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Cowbelle- Throw in 'Tip your bartender',and 'Don't eat yellow snow',and you've pretty much covered all the bases.

Sage- Geez..How's a guy s'posed to get laid if he can't argue his case with women?

Rainey- Of course you're right,but it never hurts to rack up a few bonus points.
..and isn't free grub the best thing ever!
I could live on tuna and oatmeal..

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, that is just awesome! I'm even smilier than usual over here. :)

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

劈腿 , 劈腿 , 劈腿 , 劈腿 , 喜帖 , 囍帖 , 卡片 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 外遇剖析 外遇調查 , 外遇案例 , 外遇諮詢 , 偷情 , 第三者 , 外遇話題 , 外遇發洩 , 感情挽回 徵信社 , 外遇心態 , 外遇 , 通姦 , 通姦罪 , 外遇 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 抓姦 , 徵信協會 , 徵信公司 , 包二奶 , 徵信社 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 婚姻 , 婚前徵信 , 前科 , 個人資料 , 外遇 , 第三者 , 徵信社 , 偵探社 , 抓姦 , 偵探社 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 偵探社 , 偵探社 , 偵探

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home