Thursday, December 31, 2009

You can't buy this in stores!..

What is there one can really say,when providence and circumstance conspire to keep you from spending five consecutive Christmas's with the most very important people in your life?
Nothing,..I suppose.
All you can do is cherish those times that do present themselves,file the love away for future reference,and call upon the memories in the small hours of your regret.
...It's truly a good thing!

Follows,..a select photofolio.
Mostly,like the saying goes,each picture conjures up a thousand words.
Captions are for the sake of brevity.

********Cast of Characters********

Grandma,Grandpa,..and each and every one of the Little Slinglets.

Little Jackson,and his strapping Dad,Octavio.
Thanks,and thanks again for the handsome lad!

Erin practicing her make-up skills on Grandma.
Dont'cha know she received the ultimate beauty kit,fit for a tween!


Erin presents a meal with her usual flair..


I.LOVE.THIS.PIC!..Olivia and cousin Jackson share a humorous secret.
Personally,I think they are articulate beyond their years,but I can only imagine what unheard comment passed between them at this moment and,..wait,..I have a booger in my nose.

Tyler Anne,in a 'Hey!..Look up!' moment..
Do you remember when her Grandmother was 12??..Probably not,since I met her when she was 14.

My eldest son's daughter,Olivia.
It took all of a minute for her to jump into Grandpa's lap.
I had only ever seen photos of her until this occasion.
I wish you could make out her startling blue/green turquoise eyes in this picture.


Okay..I cheated and took a picture of a picture of Erin,caught in serious contemplation..


Me and Jackson..I think that couch makes me look fat.


Like most Christmas family gatherings in Bloggertown,..eventually,..some one ends up with an octopus stuck to their face.



********Christmas day********

Interior view from the patio...where we do our mandatory smoking.


I participated in the annual Team Gingerbread (Graham cracker) house building contest for the first time!..Erin and I came in the top three!


..Daughter and Grandma took first place..(fixed).

.. and Octavio and Tyler took second.


********My Birthday********

Did I mention it was also my birthday?..No??..I'll wait while you smother me with hugs and kisses.............
Jackson's Papa somehow managed to buy me the perfect gift.
Who knew cheap brown liquor comes in actual glass bottles?
The shiny hip flask will come in useful,..no doubt.
Those squiggly Christmas lights were a happy accident.


MINE!!..All mine!..
Darling Daughter went the extra mile to cover both Christmas,and my birthday..
I have only had three birthday parties in my life,..what with all thoughts turning toward Christmas.
..That's okay by me.

Capricorns,you see, have two cast-in-bronze traits..
1) We don't like to be the focus of great amounts of attention,..and,..
b) We don't believe in astrology.


This is my homemade 'Birthay' cake!..



Fortunately,..Darling Daughter is gorgeous,...and doesn't need to know how to spell.



Labels:

20 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

Wow what a great looking family..
Looks lie fun was had by all!

Happy New Year!

 
At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only get one photo. What? I have a face only a father could love! Daddy....it was the best Christmas ever and your 'birthay' was just as best!

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

Oh, that was fun! Happy Birthday and a wonderful new year to you and your family.

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

ahhhh, irish whiskey. i remember it well.

darling daughter is a chip off the old block.

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Why do I feel like crying? Your grandchildren are all so beautiful... and the last shot of you and your daughter...you can see where she gets her chin from...but those eyes of hers are so lovely.

We had no children at the gathering...your gathering looked so kid friendly...ahhh


and a very happy birthday Sling...are you 56? My big 56 comes in a few months...feel any older???

Wish i could still drink whiskey...just makes the blood rush to my head...drink other things though...
More photos???

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Pat said...

OMGosh, Sling .... awesome, precious, awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! And oh yeah - Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Blessings upon blessings!
You have a beautiful family my young friend.

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

you and grandma did good..they're all beauty's...I love the cake..made with an ingredient that cake shops don't have..love..
the picture of the 2 kids is perfect..

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

Incredible blessings!!

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger Willym said...

dear friend - happiest of birthdays for someone who deserves the happiness I see in these photos. And that is one beautiful daughter amongst a whole parcel of beautiful people. auguri and a big hug from Madrid.

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

I find myself teary eyed. It's something wonderful to feel so much love pulsing out of pictures. I hope this isn't so extraordinary, that everyone in the whole world has collections of memories just like these and birthays just as ... good. Really, how much better can it be than to share your moments with people you love? It's good.

And while all the Slinglets, big and small, are beautiful, it's an extra special surprise to see you featured in these. What a handsome chap YOU are.

Thanks, so much, for knowing so well how blessed you are.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Oh Sling you've made me all emotional. What an awesome family you have and it looks like the best of Christmases. Happy Birthday.

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger Laurent said...

What wonderful photos and family, the B. cake looks really good. All the best!

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

You know what is the nicest thing ever, sling? That you and Grandma could share this wonderful time with all of this beautiful family....absolutely the best. As for the couch....ummm, it makes your hair look weird actually...kinda punk. Your daughter could be a model.

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, thanks Sling, for sharing these precious moments with us! :) It sounds & looks like you had a wonderful time, and I'm so happy to hear/see that!

Happy Belated Birthday and Happy New Year, my friend!! :)

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger the gardener's cottage said...

Hey Sling,

Well, no wonder we think alike! Happy birthday to you too. I totally agree with you re capricorns.

What a lovely family you have, you are truly blessed.

I look forward to reading your brilliant posts this new year!

~janet

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year! My oldest turns 10 tomorrow, so also a Capricorn. She tells me she would rather be in the supporting cast than to be the star. Not sure I believe that.

Lovely family you have. I feel warm and cozy now.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger the gardener's cottage said...

me again,

sorry, forgot to thank you for the lovely compliment re me not looking my age. made my day!

~janet

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Thanks kids!..I'm still basking in the warmth of my vist. :)

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That is one drop dead gorgeous family you have there, my friend. Which should be a surprise what with your superfantastic good looks but you know, sometimes that stuff skips a generation. Well done. So glad you got to be with them all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home