Monday, September 18, 2006

Performance Anxiety...

The lovely and mildly insane babs hooked me up with blogmad,and for that she has my sincere thanks!

While I had some trouble getting set up as a member at first,due to an unfortunate inability to decipher 6 random letters,(stupid word verification thingie..It's a tool of the Devil,mark my words!),..Anyway,turns out it was an anagram of 'phlegm', so I finally got logged in,and began earning 'points'.

During my session I browsed through some very nice blogs,left a few comments,and scored a way cool new widget that tells me how many people are visiting my blog,in more or less real time.It comes with the caveat,'UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU ALLOWED TO ALTER THIS CODE IN ANY FASHION WHATSOEVER!!'..Well,..this seemed a little ambiguous to me,so I went ahead and re-wrote some text,and 86'd the pesky advertising link,and now it sets prettily in my sidebar,faithfully logging every voyeur that visits my site,...thank you very much..Remember,if the code police ask you,I was at your house playing twister..But I digress..

During the course of my visit,I discovered that my friends babs,and yellowdog granny,were listed among the most popular blogs!You guys rock!..I tried stuffing your ballot boxes,but since this isn't the Florida general elections,they wouldn't allow it.By the end of my session,I had advanced from 'newbie' to 'junior',and had earned a respectable 83 points!..AND!!..The number of hits on my blog had effectively doubled,due to blogmad routing members to my site...There's just one minor hitch.Every time a member is directed to your blog,blogmad deducts 1 point.

I now have zero points..Zip...Nada..

WTF??...I'm pretty sure that if I don't log into blogmad,and spend some enormous amount of time surfing blogs,they'll send 'Guido' around in his 3-piece suit to encourage me to 'use it,or lose it!'..

blogmad,..She's a cruel mistress,..and I don't know if I'll be able to satisfy her insatiable lust..

10 Comments:

At 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds suspect. Did you, by any chance, happen to see Tom Cruise or John Travolta in there?

 
At 10:34 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

babs is the one that set me up there and she will get bored and use me to go surfing and has built me up in points...i am always so pleased when i get top blog...babs i truly think has one of the best blogs in blogville..she doesnt know just how great she is...i will have to go surfing so i can find you and vote for you..wait..i can do it from here cant i??? fuck i dont know..

 
At 12:50 AM , Blogger apositivepessimist said...

heh. I deactivated mine so that I can try to get a nice little pot of points up...'cause god knows I got tired of seeing that surf more down to zip points warning. now, if only the "block blogs permanently" would work I'd be a happier little camper.

so if you feel a "thumb up yer bum" Sling never fear twas just me...oh and er I will try and keep my nails trimmed ;)

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm confused.

 
At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I joined a couple of weeks ago...I've found a lot of new people to read using it.

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Sling said...

babs-Thanx for the credits!..you didn't have to do that. :)

jpdc-I had religious blogs blocked so Tom and John were not on the menu.

yellowdog G.-babs is a sweetheart isn't she.Counting your vote I now have a grand total of..well....1

apos-I haven't had any trouble with blogs that I've blocked,but I noticed several people complaining about it while surfing.

lorraine-about which part?..lol..don't feel like you're the only one..It's my post,and I'M confused.

mike-I found some good reading as well.
It's hard to spend a lot of time there and keep up with my daily reads.
thanx for stopping in!

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I don't get the whole point thing. Like, to they earn you frequent flyer miles or 2-for-1 coupons to the cafeteria at Shady Pines? And what's this about losing points? Because what's the point in racking them up if you lose them by viewing a blog or your blog or some fracking thing? Is that enough confusion for you or shall I continue? And remember, I love ya but I am so not a techno-geek. You have to use very small words and leave out the 1s and 0s.

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger Sling said...

lorraine-You earn 'credits'(I know I said points..my bad)by surfing the blogs of blogmad members.
they direct to random blogs,where,after 25 seconds,you click on a randomly generated number.For every blog you visit in this fashion,they will direct a hit to your site.
Normally,I was getting about 20-30 hits per day.yesterday,I got a hundred and eleven!(try saying that without any 1's)
When they send someone to your blog,they deduct a point..See where this leads to some heavy surfing in order to keep up?..babs was a doll and put 200 of her own points in my account.
Not sure how she did that exactly.Having said all that,I'm not sure it will make any more sense..Guess you gotta try it and see. ;)

 
At 1:09 AM , Blogger Grish said...

Well that's interesting...

 
At 5:08 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Thanks sling... I joined, we'll see how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home