Sunday, April 22, 2007

Nerdful things..

Since arriving in O-town some 2 years ago next month,I've had this never ending battle with my wireless Internet connection.
At least once,if not several times a day,and ALWAYS in the middle of something important,I'll press enter and see the dreaded,.."Wireless network is NOT connected"..So I've grown accustomed to copying everything before hand in anticipation of getting 86'd.

I attribute this phenomenon to a couple of things;


  • A wireless router that I got for $9.95 from the bargain bin at Home Depot,..and,


  • The fact that there are a buttload of neighbors that may well be leaching off my unsecured network...check it out.



..this is but a hand full of wireless signals that criss-cross the airwaves intersecting my laptop.I'm pretty sure that all these signals clog up the blogosphere,resulting in a kind of Internet "short circuit",which causes my connection to throw up it's hands and say "Screw you!"..
Normally,In an effort to alleviate this log-jam,I simply run around the house waving my arms.This,I reasoned,will have the effect of properly stirring up the electromagnetic fields surrounding my location,and allow for the proper reception of my own network...done laughing yet?...Well it works!..Every time!..
Take THAT!,(Newton,Einstein,Hawking,...who-the-hell-ever..)

Still,this particular brand of cyber-calisthenics has grown tiresome.



So today I hauled my happy carcass down to "Trader Bill's discount electronics and delicatessen",and layed out a tidy sum of Shekels for this little marvel..


..After proper installation,I was less than thrilled to discover that, IT DOESN'T WORK!..So I did what I always do when confronted with annoying technical problems,..I told The Lizzard King,"Fix it".

A couple of phone calls later,and we're fat and happy,with a lightening fast,and thoroughly secure connection.
I even went across the street to the park and still had a solid signal! :)

It's Sunday!..and life is good in Sling's Domain.

14 Comments:

At 11:12 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

That looks like a souped up linksys.
I have the craziest set up with a wireless router, modem, and a broadband telephone router for VOIP. At least twice a day I have to restart it I think it's interference from the hospital that we are located behind.

Va Va Varoom

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger Princess Banter said...

Hahaha -- at least you were generous enough to shell out for a wireless router. I opted to use my old laptop into a wireless router by connecting my 2 laptops ad-hoc. So both my laptops are sharing resources. See? You're so much better off than I am! Haha!

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger Grish said...

I must reboot my linksys about every day. They are notorious for it I hear.

Btw, just a thought but have the Lizard king lock out your wifi for ya so others can't piggyback on your signal..

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger HORIZON said...

Ok Sling- having a giggle here. Can see you dancing around that laptop- does this mean you’re THAT sort of dancer? LOL
Also l remember the shopping ‘bargain bins’ in the states- blue light specials and so on. God l got a few ribs bruised in those! ;)
Thanks for the happy Easter wish- hope you had a good one- will be back to find out more later but must get the dinner on for the now.
Well done on the happy result by the way!!!

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

So, are you saying that sometimes gerbils dialing up are more reliable? You mean I have something valuable here in gerbils? Wow...if I could just get them to run a bit faster I might eventually be able to watch posted videos!!!

 
At 3:20 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Computer signals are good. Sling running around waving his arms, better.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Sling said...

danielle-Have you tried running around the house waving your arms?...G'head.. ;)

Princess Banter-I don't know...2 laptops sounds pretty cool to me!

grish-We went through all the motions of locking out the last one,but it never took.This one is secured and doin' fine.

HORIZON-lol :)..doin' the LAPtop dance!..I did have a great Easter,Thanks!

Rosemary-Yep...Sometimes Gerbils ARE more reliable,but I don't have to clean the cage of my wireless. ;)

lorraine-:p

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger the rube said...

congrats on the tech upgrade. every guy wants broadband enhancement.

is it true that cell phones and wireless routers are destroying the honey bees?

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger Sling said...

The Rube-Bees are highly over rated anyway.
The Important thing is that I can wallow in decadence!

 
At 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there...just stopping by to say hello to you. this is meander...now andromeda. i have a new blog...come and stop by any time!

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Sling said...

andromeda-Hi Kid!..
Wondered where you went.I'll stop by and say hi soon! :)

 
At 6:49 AM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

If only I knew how to coorrectly configure my router... It works but I guess I set it up secure and i have no idea what the key is so I can't get on. Stupid monica.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Monica-(Hint)..The default key is almost ALWAYS "admin",Without quotes of course.Hope that works for you. :)

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger CS said...

I have this very router at home and another at my office. The one at the office always works becaus the DSL is pretty steady. But at home, it's not the router, it's the friggin' satellite - always has only a fair to weak signal and frequently bugs out. Grrrr.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home