Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I should probably post something..


..seeing as how I have a Blog and all.

The weather in O-Town has been wondermous the last couple of weeks!
80's and 90's,and the days getting longer is just fine by me.I was having to wear a jacket riding my bike to work on the cold mornings,and then having to wear it home in the heat of the afternoon so I'd have it for the next day...Total suckage!
Now it's just a T-shirt both ways.

The Lizzard King is making serious moves to acquire our local pool hall.It's actually a family billiards establishment that he's pretty much grown up in.They serve beer and have 11 tables,(8 regulation,and 3 bar tables).He's got a good head on his shoulders so I know he'll do well should the deal go through.

I had some fun with non-stop-talker at work today.
The minute I walked in the door he started yappin' about some baseball team I don't care about,signing some pitcher whose name I can't remember,and paying him "8,000 dollars a pitch!"..

Me:"Well,what the hell kind of incentive is that?"
NST:"Waddaya mean?"
Me:"If he strikes out every batter with 3 pitches,he makes less money"
NST:"No..It doesn't work like that.."
Me:.."and what if he only pitches 1 pitch to each batter,and they all fly out to like,center field,..then he'd really get screwed!"
NST:.."It's NOT like that!"..You see..."
Me:"Personally,if it was me,I'd just let every batter get to a full count,or even let 'em go through the batting order several times an inning..Hell,.he could lose the game 87 to nothin' and REALLY make bank!"
NST:"LISTEN DAMMIT!...That just means that they took the value of his contract,and divided it by the AVERAGE number of pitches per game that he's thrown in his Career!..THAT'S how they come up with 8 Grand a pitch"..
ME:..Oh,..I see...Hey!..What if he throws a pitch,hits the batter,and it bounces off him and hits the guy on deck...Do they BOTH get to take their bases?"...

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 6:54 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

I am laughing my a** off. Sling, I loved Seinfeld...it was my very favorite show...and you know it was called the show about nothing...but it always turned into something. your blog is like that sometimes...you can't think of anyting to blog about but by the end you have made it a great post! So, is the Lizard King gonna let us have the 1st annual reunion at the billiards place?? Free beer????

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh man...i am so jealous..i always wanted to own a pool hall...i spent so much time in one in my younger days...just thought it was a natural progression..when thom(41 year old son) was about 4 he had never been anyplace but a grocery store that didn't have a pool table...so when i went to a lawyers office (divoricing #2 asshole)..he looked around and said he must not be a good lawyer..and i said why would you say that?..and he said..he doesn't have a pool table...

 
At 7:56 AM , Blogger the rube said...

figures lie and liars figure.

thanks sling, i been waiting to say that for 7 years.

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger the rube said...

oh yeah, about 30 years i ago i bought a pinball arcade with a few pool tables. the cops paid me a visit at least once a week and the utes drove me nuts.

but i was a pinball wizard for about 6 months.

 
At 8:34 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I love the conversation..... your too cool sling, even when it is hot outside!

 
At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lost me at "baseball."

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with rosemary. I'm cracking up. I love how you dealt with that non-stop talker. PERFECT! I wish I could think that quickly. YS worked at the local pool hall as a busboy (it was a restaurant too). It was owned by a guy who'd been a billiards champ at one time. He wanted to bring real billiards to town so bought these insanely expensive tables and put them in his smoke-free restaurant. Nice place, nice guy, good food... YS got into playing, bought a nice cue stick, learned some stuff from the owner, then quit working there, and quit playing except in the dorm at school. The cue, in its nice case, is collecting dust in his closet.

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

that's one method... turn someone else's annoying traits against them. you're just like mary poppins! HA HA HA

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Allan said...

HAHAHAHA! Nice turnaround...playing dumb is smart!

 
At 7:52 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Hell,..at eight grand a pitch,I'd be tossin' them puppies 'till my arm dropped off,and just buy me a shiney new one..'sall I'm sayin'..

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Sling said...

...on second thought,If I lost my pitching arm,how would I wipe my...Damm..I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I sure hope if this pool hall deal goes through he's not going to be requiring any bartending assistance. You're dance card is full, mister.

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Sling said...

...I probably won't be doing much bartending.
I prefer to be the designated drinker.

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger CS said...

That's vey funny. I should have tried that with the little chatty girl in my cabin this week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home