Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday Sermon..

Oh don't run away.It ain't gonna be like that!

I have the most wonderful Bible program that I peruse from time to time,to check up on how the world is turning these days.

I can type in a word,or phrase,and get several and relevant passages to my inquiry.
You don't have to be religious to know wisdom when it bites you in the arse folks!...okay?





Mostly,I'm an Old Testament kind of guy.I've been up and down upon the earth,and to and fro in it,and I tend to take my comfort from the lyrical simplicity of the King James version...None o' that hip "Jesus cruised into the 'hood" new translation crap for me!..Thank you very much.
I'm not alone in this.
Back in the day,a marvelous folk musician/poet by the name of Pete Seeger took a humble verse from the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes(chapter 3,starting at verse 1),and turned it into one of the most popular anti-war tunes of the 60's.
Some of you are old enough to remember The Byrd's version of "Turn,turn,turn",..Those of you that are too young to remember,..please, get your shit together would'ja!!.. ;)



A blessing on your houses..

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:36 PM , Blogger anony mouse? muse? said...

bad girls need all the blessings they can get!

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

I'm so old, I remember when Roger McGuinn was still John!* There was a time when all you had to do was put that song on a soundtrack and it would make me like a movie just a little bit more. Case in point: "Heart Like a Wheel". Awful.

***I am not actually old enough to remember per se, but I know my music history!***

 
At 9:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's one of my all time favorite songs. But I wouldn't call it an anti-war song. It clearly says there's a time for war.

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Sling said...

anonymouse-..Bad girls ARE a blessing!

Monica-I forgot all about that movie till you mentioned it!..Awful..

jan-Yes it surely does,and the next line is,"A time for peace,I swear it's not too late!"..
Taken in the context of the 60's,we knew what they were trying to say.
Thanks for stopping by!. :)

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger CS said...

I love this song, never get tired of hearing it. I definitely think of it as a pacifist song. And a song about acceptance, in a Buddhist sort of way, even though it's from the Bible. It's one of those stransgley Zen passages in the Old Testament.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

So with you on the King James version thing. And you gotta love King Solomon, don't you? One of my favorite bits is when he notes that there is "nothing new under the sun"...whenever people start pissing and moaning about how horrible things are, I like to refer them to Ecclesiastes for a refreshing dose of "get over yourself".

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

Sling, you are an all around really neat man..straightforward and damm old too...because if I remember the Byrd's version and YOU remember the Byrd's version...well, we are both old.

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the blessing... we can always use those. I'm a New American Standard girl. Why? When I first got seriously into studying the Bible, I studied the options. At the time, it was considered the most accurate translation, which meant it wasn't necessarily the easiest to read, but it was very accurate. I liked that. KJV is still the version in which some verses are indelibly inked in my brain, but when I get my Bible out to read, it's the NASB. I was never a fan of "The Living Bible" or any of the modern "hip" translations, though I do like the NIV and have gotten that one for all my kids. It's also supposed to be VERY accurate. For me, it's all about accuracy.

I love that song, BTW.

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger the rube said...

the byrds rocked. Pack up your money, pull up your tent, McGuinn You ain't a-goin' nowhere.

didn't seeger lose his pacifism when dylan went electric and went after dylan's guitar wires with an axe?

those were the days

what ever happened to sgt stadenko?

 
At 6:21 PM , Blogger Sling said...

..You know,..Frequently,I look at my sidebar,and wonder,"How is it that someone like me can be surrounded by people of such character?"..Well,it's a blessing,isn't it!. :)

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

I may not have been around that far back, but the Byrds and this song have been with me since birth, baby.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home