Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wireless Modem Geekfest Tuesday..

PROBLEM: Over the last several months,I have been experiencing ever increasing instances of being unceremoniously 'bumped' from my wireless modem connection.
Once or twice a week,and for no apparent reason,I'd suddenly get the pop-up message, 'Unable to connect to preferred wireless network'.
No connection..No Internet.
I'd re-boot my computron,and everything would be fine...for a while.
As time went on,this escalated to 3 or 4 times a week,then once a day,then 2 or more times a day,..until last Sunday,I was disconnected no less than ten times!

Well,enough of this crap!

Since Lizzard King wasn't having any problems staying connected,I decided the problem wasn't with the modem,but rather an internal malfunction with my laptop.

It may be that some of you have experienced this exercise in aggravation.
If so,I'll spare you the FOUR FREAKIN' HOURS of hunting,and pecking,and searching through every diagnostic and troubleshooting procedure under the sun!..and walk you through the 'Wireless Connection Repair' procedure myself.

NOTE: You must be connected to the Internet to correct the problem,so I strongly suggest you do this before it gets too far out of hand.
I was getting bumped the whole time I was diagnosing,and finally accomplished
the task within a five minute window of opportunity!

Step #1
From the 'Start' menu,select 'Connect To',and choose 'Show all connections'..




Step #2
Right click on the wireless modem connection icon..


Step #3
From the pop-up window,select 'Properties'..



Step#4
You'll see your modem listed under 'Connect Using'..Select 'Configure'..


Step #5
In the next pop-up window,select 'Driver'..




Step #6
Next window,..click on 'Update Driver'..


Step #7
Choose to let windows search for the update on-line,and then click 'Next'..




Lickity-Split the program found,and downloaded the driver update,..and I haven't had any problems since!

I'm using the WINDOWS XP operating system...VISTA users should still find the process the same,or similar enough to figure out your own damm self.

..Have a great week kids!

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 11:42 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

I was actually having a similar problem with my mac, but my brother was changing the password of the wireless, cuz he thought it was funny. He is an asshole

 
At 11:58 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Sage- AHAHAHA!..That's hilarious!!!..er..I mean,..Bad Brother!

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I'm impressed with your geekdom, Sling. Once again I note that you are not just another pretty face.

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

sneaky how those drivers always need updating!

 
At 2:16 PM , Blogger Mom said...

You are awesome. I love geeky men.

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger austexgrl said...

,,,,Oh-h-h-h, I don't know, I think he IS a very pretty face, but smarts never hurts!

 
At 6:21 PM , Blogger Allan said...

I like your PC 'theme'. It looks cool.

 
At 6:27 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i want to get wireless..and will remember that if i do..right now at#t are kissing my ass and are giving me 1/2 price on my internet service for 6 months..right after that im going to tell them they did such a great job of kissing my ass, they should go try and fuck them selves..and im getting wireless...bastids.

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

I just ask my husband to fix my computer issues. Makes him feel all handy.

 
At 9:28 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Jan- PLUS!..I don't eat much,and I hardly make a mess!

Lost- My computer is gettin' old by tech standards..almost 4 years...I should have figured my drivers were due for a tune-up.

mom- Thanks Mom. :)

austexgrl- *blush*

Alan- I use a program called 'Windowblinds'..Hundreds of 'skins',boot screens,and log-on screens..pretty cool.

Yellerdawg- Oh,I feel the same way about AT&T!. Remember how shitty they were when they were the only game in town?..Screw 'em!

Thinker- You really know how to treat a guy! ;)

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger booda baby said...

That was so nice of you! You're a mighty awesome tutorial giver.

I love 'do this' and then 'this' and when you're done with 'that' do 'this' tutorials!!

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger evilganome said...

Alice the cat hasn't figured out how to screw with the password on my router yet.

I gotta say though, once again Mac makes the whole ordeal a lot easier.

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Sheeit. Your screen shots should be hanging in a Soho gallery.

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Gaaarrrghh! I am having a problem with mine now but luckily not what you had...You deserve a medal for wading through and sorting it out... I have tried and tried and spent too many hours...its a nuisance thing that keeps popping up...Nothing makes me more impatient that doing everything they tell you to do and still it doesn't work ...hope I can figure it out in less than a hundred hours...congratulations

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home