Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pop Quiz,..and



NAME THAT PLANT!..One of my favorite tenants at Winston Gardens is a sprightly Elven lass that,aside from a bountiful vegetable garden,maintains a colorful variety of potted plants.
She has no clue what this plant is called,so I told her I would post pics of it here in Bloggertown,because my readers pretty much know everything.

..The leaves are kind of velvety,with these beautiful symmetrically furled edges.
There's a homemade blackberry cobbler in it,..for me.

..More fantastical succulents,from a different tenant's garden.



I think just about everyone is familiar with Sunflowers,and that they tend to have these ginormous 10-12 foot stalks.
They are grown right here in O-Town,and you can find acres of them that have been bred to grow only about 4 foot tall,for commercial purposes.
You can't tell from this perspective,but this is one of them..
I had to kneel down in front of it to take this pic.


I really don't think it's fair that such an inviting entrance should have a private property sign posted out front.
..I think I'll just ignore it.


I'm sure these are the same species of Praying Mantis,though they come in two different colors 'round these parts.
I'm guessin' these are both males,which have more slender abdomens than females.
..I'll attach no anthropomorphic significance to that.

 

Okay...Rasputin is just an idiot.

 

Back when I was a real fossil hound,scouring the canyons of Colorado,I would travel for miles with my eye to the ground in search of bits of dinosaur bone,arrowheads,ammonites,and the like.
Once,after hours of being hunched over focusing on whatever was 2 feet in front of me,I sat down on a cliff side to take a break.
Stretching the kinks out of my neck and back,I noticed that the whole face of the cliff was covered with fossilised plant stems and leaves.
It was really quite cool.
I left them in situ,because that's the kind of fossil guy I am.
I did,however,make a mental note to myself that every once in a while,..it's important to look up..

 

20 Comments:

At 7:12 PM , Blogger Charlene said...

I haven't a clue about the mystery plant, but I sure like the picture of the sunflower.

 
At 7:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rasputin has probably never met an itch he couldn't scratch... while simultaneously playing Nintendo.

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I love that cat..and love your pictures and sorry, I'm one of your dumb friends..I have no clue what that plant is..but it's purty.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Jan said...

Your mystery plant played the lead in "Little Shop of Horrors."

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger secret agent woman said...

I can't tell - the velvety sounds like lamb's ear, but I haven't seen a variety with furled edges like that.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger rosemary said...

OK, I am stumped....as well as being short. There's that eye of yours sling......always creative. Love Rasputin....I am sure that is a yoga pose.....Cat Cradling Neck perhaps?

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Sling said...

**Found It!**
I typed 'curled leaf succulent' into Google images,and there it was.
It's called a 'Mother of Thousands'
(Kalanchoe Diagremontiana)..
Those furls are tiny plantlets that fall off and grow new plants..Pretty cool.
..Now I can sleep.
http://tinyurl.com/2b5mvvw .

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Willym said...

Seek and ye shall find! Google and it shall be opened unto you!

Love the hydro tower shot! Rosemary got that right - you have an eye for the unusual and the beautiful.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

it's a triffid. you better be careful.

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Willym- I like to think it was my mad tracking skills,and Google just happened to be there... ;)
The tower shot was my favorite.
I was afraid it would take dozens of tries to perfectly intersect the cross-pieces at the top,but I got it in three!

Billy P.- Truer than you might think buddy..ALL parts of the thing are poisonous,and can be fatal if ingested by children,or small pets.
...I should probably let the nice lady know that next time I see her.

 
At 6:01 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

I'd have tried harder on the plant if there was a cobbler in it for ME.

How beeoootifully true is that ... 'every once in awhile, it's important to look up.' Or even slightly above eye level. I need lessons in that.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

I was going to say that the mystery plant was part octopus. Or part alien. Or both.

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Once again, you've posted some beautiful pictures, my friend! :)

When I was growing up, our neighbors had a huge sunflower in their garden...I always LOVED that sunflower...I just think they're cool flowers--sooo huge. :)

 
At 10:07 PM , Anonymous 網頁設計 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous 抓姦 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous 偵探社 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous 尋人 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous 討債 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 
At 11:31 PM , Anonymous 討債 said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable.

 
At 11:32 PM , Anonymous 法律諮詢 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home