Friday, March 27, 2009

The day my Mom invented 'Lunch'..

It's a little known scientific fact,that my Mom invented the 'Big Wheel' tri-cycle.
..Oh yes.
Way back in the middle of the last century,when my legs were long enough to reach the ground,but still too short to reach the pedals on my tri-cycle,Mom solved the problem in a most ingenious fashion;

Step 1) Remove the seat,and front wheel/handlebar assembly from your standard issue trike.
Step 2) Turn the frame upside down.
Step 3) Re-install the front wheel and handlebars.
Step 4) Tie a throw pillow on the frame,creating a custom butt-cushion.

Voila!

Of course,decades later,Mattel stole her idea,mass produced it,and the rest is pedal bike history...Lance Armstrong probably has no idea of the debt he owes to a petite housewife from Texas.

Shortly thereafter,in an equally brilliant flash of,..umm,..brilliance,(don't stop me now,..I'm on a roll),she amazed me yet again by inventing the concept of 'Lunch'..
I remember just like it was yesterday,coming home from Kindergarten one fine afternoon,and hearing her casually remark that lunch was on the table.


..'??????'


'Food?..in the middle of the day??..Lunch you say?'..


This is the greatest idea since Tinker Toys!!


At least,that's my recollection..
The day when a young man's developing cognition bridged the gap between neurons,and in a synaptic flash the world suddenly became a little more predictable.

Imagine my embarrassment when,in my late teens,it became known to me that the whole lunch thing had been around for quite some time before that day,..probably going back as far as 670 B.C. when Hebrew slaves put down their oars in protest,and formed the first labor union.

I'm reminded of these things,because my dear friend Rainey went and did a post wherein she waxes a wee bit homesick.
These days,at least for me,'home' is generally more ethereal,and less tangible.

A destination in my head.




'Homeward Bound'

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Blogger sageweb said...

I thought my generation invented flipping people off. I was very disappointed to find a picture of my uncle as a teen boy flipping off the camera. He must have invented.

 
At 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're Mom was a genius. Moms can be like that.

 
At 2:27 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Praise and thanks to your Mom for the big wheel. Lunch is also much appreciated and enjoyed by me to this day.

 
At 2:48 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I'm still pissed at them for breaking up. No lunch or big wheel for them.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Willym said...

So now we know where you got your creative side from!

They were the greatest team....

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Love that song and their sweet sound. Sometimes I am surprised by how homesick I am for my mom. memories of my mom are home.

 
At 6:46 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Our Moms are just amazing when we're little, aren't they? *smiles*

Then, when we get older, we start to see our Moms for who they really are...but then we're just amazed that they ever put up with us! *grin*

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I'm so lucky...I'm home.

 
At 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did your mom also invent that little hand-brake on the Big Wheel? Because mine never worked, and I'm thinking of filing a class-action lawsuit, but not if it means I'll be suing your mom.

 
At 10:31 AM , Blogger Traveling Matt said...

mommys...

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

This song is so awesome to harmonize to. But then, most of their songs are.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

I loved my Big Wheel as a kid! That thing rocked. That and my Hoppity Horse.

 
At 5:57 AM , Blogger Doralong said...

Damn those Mattel people! And of course she invented lunch, just for you precious- Moms are like that you know.

 
At 1:42 AM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Hm..know what you mean...my mum also invented lamb shank stew...lovely...and cheap enough to feed seven of us on one man's labouring wage...we ate well...mum was a genius!!!

I remember sitting with my eldest sister watching Somon and garfunkel's concert in Central Park on TV in 1982. We had just come home from the Spinal Unit where Don was in in Intensive care...I was 28 he 32...our girls 7 and 4. They danced about like sprites in front of the TV after spending a whole day, one of seven months at the hospital...I remember watching their little shadows between them and the tele...my sister got exasoerated...could not understand their need to dance and be children till she had her own...this song brings back so much...good stuff thanks Sling

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home