Thursday, April 02, 2009

A little bit about Ragdolls..

When Mom O' LK brought Bailey home from the orphanage,we began to notice right from the beginning that he seemed to have a number of qualities that you don't necessarily find in your average feline furbag.
The older he got,the more he acted like a dog!

..I don't know how to a'splain it exactly.I mean,..he's got all that curiosity goin' on,and will sit in the middle of the floor,master of all he surveys,in that regal way cats have,..but he is entirely devoid of any hint of 'aloofness'.
You know,..that look and attitude cats have that makes it clear that you're only just barely worthy enough to feed them,and clean their cat box?..Bailey can't do it...It ain't in him.

There were a number of other things that got us wondering just what breed of cat he might be,so we lickity-split on over to the internets,and found him listed perfectly under 'Ragdolls'.
So named for their tendency to go limp when you pick them up.

You can squish 'em,and cuddle 'em,and generally toss 'em about,and they just love it!
Little Newt will scoop Bailey up in one arm,and go about his Newt business,..the whole time Bailey's having the time of his life.
..More like a puppy,than a cat.

And like a puppy,Bailey's favorite past-time is a rousing game of 'fetch'..




Another really remarkable thing about them,is the texture of their fur.
It's more like a Rabbit's fur,..or even a Mink's!
You'd have to feel it to know what I'm talkin' about,but trust me,one day Bailey is gonna make a fine pair of oven mitts..

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 10:52 AM , Blogger sageweb said...

Fine acting of the puppycat to satisfy the humans need to randomly throw things.

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

My grandmother used to have Siamese and Himalayan cats. She swore that they had some monkey in them somewhere along the line. Not your normal cats for sure.

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Willym said...

My friend Michel had a cat that thought it was a dog - played fetch, waited at the door for him to come home, followed him around like a puppy dog. Couldn't train him to bring the slippers though!

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Nicely trained human there. Smart puppy cat.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger booda baby said...

Those are some sweetie-kitties. Dumb, but sweet. Sometimes, I wish our cat who refuses to die (a good thing) would make a bigger and better effort to be oven mitt material, but her clever little brain does give up some good entertainment.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger LostInColor said...

what a fun cat! I want to squeeze him. :)

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger more cowbell said...

I saw them on Cats 101 - love them!

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Sage- All of us house humans have learned a lot from Bailey.
Especially since that unfortunate 'frying pan' incident.

Thinker- Both those breeds were used to develope the Ragdoll.
Aside from the obvious markings,Bailey is highly vocal,..like a Siamese.
Sometimes,it almost sounds like he says 'Mama'.

Willym- One of the first things we noticed was that Bailey follows Mom-O and Newt around the house,and when someone comes home he'll rush to greet them.
It's a trip.

Mom- Mom-O came already housebroken.
LK and I are a bit slow on the uptake.

BOOOOda Babe- Oh,Bailey's as dumb as a bag o' hammers,and thoroughly guiless..seriously.
We don't let him outside for fear he'll
run into a pack of coyotes,and wanna play.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Lost- He'd be happy to let you! ;)

Cowbelle- We saw that show too!
I still have it on my TiVo. :)

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That is so damn cute!! *smiles*

My friends and I are going to a trained cat show this weekend--it should be interesting...at least good for a laugh! :)

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Crap, I wish I could get my dog to do that.

I can't believe how big he's gotten but then, it has been almost a year. Why, I remember when...

Oh, and The Child says "Don't bother sending the sandal, my foot's too big now".

Smart ass.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Sling said...

Miss HP- Trained cats?..I thought they just did cool stuff,and then we give it a name.

Rainey- WE were just talking this morning about whether or not we had Bailey when you guys were here.I told MOLK that you were,'cause Bailey was doing his screen climbing routine for you.
PLUS!..Holy Crap!..not only did I not mail The Child her sandal,I have no clue where it even is!
Could it be some kind of rogue footwear,bent on evading detection??
Yes..I think so.

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

they feel like rabbit fur?
do they taste like chicken?

 
At 3:03 AM , Blogger Disturbed Stranger said...

adorable cat :)

and absolutely love ur nutty blog

keep blogging!

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger billy pilgrim said...

this explains everything, i once dated a girl that went limp when i picked her up.

live and learn.

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Yellerdawg- ..if he parks his furry ass on my laptop while I'm typing again,we're gonna find out.

Disturbed Stranger- You don't seem disturbed at all!..Thanks for dropping by. :)

Billy P.- Did you try giving her a little squeek toy to play with?

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger rosemary said...

I have a bag...a tote bag....that has photos of cat butts...tails up...can you picture it? anyway....I checked my butictionary on the tote and sure enough, i bet your puppycat is a ragdoll.....oven mitts????? bailey is more of a lounge rug puppycat don't you think?

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Sling said...

Rosie- You have a tote bag covered with pictures of cat butts??..You're my hero!

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Middle Child said...

Don always reckoned our old cat would make a wonderfully warm winter hat for him...HMM what an unusual cat you have there...will have to look this one up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home